[COMPLETE] The Voice and Public Speaking, by John Poole Sandlands-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Voice and Public Speaking, by John Poole Sandlands (1838 - 1915)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-voice-and-public-speaking-by-john-poole-sandlands/
I write for public speakers. I wish to take them into my confidence. I feel I can do them good. My object is to help them to speak with greater ease and efficiency.<br><br>
When the voice is developed and in a condition to answer the calls made upon it, then it will naturally seek to put its powers into operation.... Develop the powers of the voice and it will not be satisfied till it find scope for their exercise. This is a marvellous feature of the human voice, and yet, perhaps, it is more or less common to all the powers we possess. Whenever we develop a power, whatever it be, nothing gives us greater pleasure than the exercise of it. Every artist thinks his own art the most sublime. The painter prefers painting, and the musician music; yet there does seem a diviner charm and more real pleasure in exercising the powers of the voice. Holding the opinion as I do, that if the voice be developed it will perform its work aright, it will be my object to notice and dilate upon those principles which, when worked out, go to form the voice. It may be taken for granted that the voice is with most people — and not less with many public speakers — all out of order. Its parts need adjusting. When this is accomplished, it only remains to say, Here is the work, do it.<br><br>
My object is to notice and explain those principles, which, to my mind, underlie the rhetorical art. I have written in the simplest language, and this for two reasons, (1) To make things quite clear. (2) To spare, in this busy age, as much as possible, my reader’s time.<br><br>
Experience convinces me, constantly more and more as I deal with students, that it is of the utmost importance that young men who are preparing in any way for public life, should make themselves acquainted with the principles laid down in it and acquire facility of application by practice. I am constantly hearing expressions similar to this — “Oh, if I had only known twenty years ago, what you tell me, how much better a man I should be to-day!” I could say this of myself, too, and that without blushing. (Summary by Preface and introduction)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/b28123281/page/n6/mode/1up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Self-Help

Keywords that describe the book: public speaking, pronunciation, voice, breathing, Rhetoric, mouth, articulation, extemporaneous speaking

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Voice and Public Speaking. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Voice and Public Speaking, by John Poole Sandlands. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Voice and Public Speaking, by John Poole Sandlands."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: voicepublicspeaking_##_sandlands_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. voicepublicspeaking_01_sandlands_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on June 4th, 2022, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show these outofsightoutofmind projects some love this weekend!
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
DPL 17 51 58
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I will DPL this.
DPL 17 51 58
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll MC for you. Be right back.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you should be good to go!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mightyfelix wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:53 pm Ok, you should be good to go!
Thankyou! Ready for Readers Wanted.
DPL 17 51 58
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And we're off!
jenno

Post by jenno »

May I calim sections 4 and 5 please ?

Jennifer
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

jenno wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:56 pm May I calim sections 4 and 5 please ?

Jennifer
Done!
DPL 17 51 58
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

May I claim 2, thank you
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Roselbex wrote: June 10th, 2022, 3:00 pm May I claim 2, thank you
Done!
DPL 17 51 58
jenno

Post by jenno »

I fear I must return chapter 5 un-recorded. There is a long passage of french in it which is beyond my linguistic capabilities!.

I am sorry as the chapter is most interesting and has certainly taught me much about successful public speaking ( and recording ).

However I think it deserves an accomplished french speaker to complete that particular chapter.

Regards

Jennifer
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

jenno wrote: June 10th, 2022, 10:50 pm I fear I must return chapter 5 un-recorded. There is a long passage of french in it which is beyond my linguistic capabilities!.

I am sorry as the chapter is most interesting and has certainly taught me much about successful public speaking ( and recording ).

However I think it deserves an accomplished french speaker to complete that particular chapter.

Regards

Jennifer
I'm sorry that I didn't catch this. Since it's about 2 pages, I think it would be appropriate to ask one of our French speakers to record it and splice it into your work. Would you be comfortable with that?
DPL 17 51 58
melioradockery

Post by melioradockery »

Please may I claim Section 3 "The Mouth"?
Meliora Dockery
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

melioradockery wrote: June 11th, 2022, 5:13 am Please may I claim Section 3 "The Mouth"?
Meliora Dockery
Done!
DPL 17 51 58
val6m

Post by val6m »

Hello! I would like to take section 8, Word-grouping.

Thanks!
-Val-