[COMPLETE] A Selection from the Discourses of Epictetus with the Encheiridion by Epictetus - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I wouldn't comment on the pronunciation of an ancient name. Who's to say what's right. It could be a silent t.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

adrianstephens wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:51 pm
philchenevert wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:47 pm .......
Have you ever read (to yourself) a book, and got comfortable with the names of the characters. Then you hear somebody else
reading it - and the names are all different! Like I pronounced "molybdenum" as "mo-lee-bee-den-um" as a child. I didn't hear
it pronounced until years later. Where am I going with this? Nowhere. I think I should go to bed and sleep off my fuddlement.
Regards,
Adrian
Absolutely I have done exactly that. Many times. Before the internet we had to guess at hard names and I guessed wrong quite a few times.
When I am recording stories, one of the few irksome things for me is deciding the pronunciation of proper names. It is amazing that a name can have so many possisible ways to pronounce it, and that my brain will always make up another in the heat of recording. I must have a sheet on my desk when recording with names spelled out and how I will pronounce them so that I won't change the darn things in chapter 9. For example, in my current solo, there is an earth girl named Lyra. Simple, eh? I managed to pronounce her name three different ways in one chapter and had to go back, pick one and re record most of the chapter. tsk, tsk.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

adrianstephens wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:51 pm Have you ever read (to yourself) a book, and got comfortable with the names of the characters. Then you hear somebody else
reading it - and the names are all different! Like I pronounced "molybdenum" as "mo-lee-bee-den-um" as a child. I didn't hear
it pronounced until years later. Where am I going with this? Nowhere. I think I should go to bed and sleep off my fuddlement.

Regards,
Adrian
I am running corrections on a commercial book and have 37 occurrences of "dramatis personae" to fix, 17 occurrences of "persona", uncounted occurrences "temporal", and many other words I've read, but never heard.
How can you double think yourself when you think you're sure of a word? I have much remon-strance about this, especially with the a-ppositional words.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

philchenevert wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:39 pm For example, in my current solo, there is an earth girl named Lyra. Simple, eh? I managed to pronounce her name three different ways in one chapter and had to go back, pick one and re record most of the chapter. tsk, tsk.
Oops. Annoying. I hate having to re-record. I break out in a cold sweat at night wondering whether the PL will find me doing this :0)

Here's a most amusing mispronunciations. In the UK (somewhere in the middle) we have Loughborough - a small town.
It was rumoured that American tourists were asking the way to (although why any tourist would want to visit it is another question
entirely) "Loo-gah-bah-roo-gah". (ah==schwa)
It's actual pronunciations is "Luff-brah"

Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

adrianstephens wrote: December 13th, 2021, 11:46 pm In the UK (somewhere in the middle) we have Loughborough - a small town.
It was rumoured that American tourists were asking the way to (although why any tourist would want to visit it is another question
entirely) "Loo-gah-bah-roo-gah". (ah==schwa)
It's actual pronunciations is "Luff-brah"
And then we have Advanced British English, superbly demonstrated by the surname 'Featherstonhaugh,' which is pronounced 'Fan-shaw.'
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
paullawleyjones

Title: Chapter 29 - Of Disputation or Discussion
Length: 2:29
Size: 2.39 MB
LVU Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/discoursesofepictetus_29_epictetus_128kb.mp3
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
paullawleyjones

My next mission (should I choose to accept it) is Chapter 30 - ON ANXIETY (SOLICITUDE.)

This message will not self-destruct, but instead will be consumed, like everything else on Earth, when the Sun becomes a Red Giant in about 5 billion years.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

paullawleyjones wrote: December 17th, 2021, 1:15 am My next mission (should I choose to accept it) is Chapter 30 - ON ANXIETY (SOLICITUDE.)

This message will not self-destruct, but instead will be consumed, like everything else on Earth, when the Sun becomes a Red Giant in about 5 billion years.
You WILL accept it and you WILL accomplish it. Hopefully a bit sooner than specified. 30 is yours. (Dramatic background music, loud ticking)
seanmcwilliamsvo

Post by seanmcwilliamsvo »

May I claim section 32 TO OR AGAINST THOSE WHO OBSTINATELY PERSIST IN WHAT THEY HAVE DETERMINED? As an aside, I'm a practitioner of Stoicism, and I was excited to see this!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

seanmcwilliamsvo wrote: December 17th, 2021, 1:32 pm May I claim section 32 TO OR AGAINST THOSE WHO OBSTINATELY PERSIST IN WHAT THEY HAVE DETERMINED? As an aside, I'm a practitioner of Stoicism, and I was excited to see this!
How great this is, a practitioner of Stoicism and a project of Epictetus ! Welcome, section 32 is all yours. Ask if anything is confusing. :thumbs:

Oh, what would you like your catalog name to be? It can be your real name, your forum name or whatever you wish. let me know
seanmcwilliamsvo

Post by seanmcwilliamsvo »

philchenevert wrote: December 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm
seanmcwilliamsvo wrote: December 17th, 2021, 1:32 pm May I claim section 32 TO OR AGAINST THOSE WHO OBSTINATELY PERSIST IN WHAT THEY HAVE DETERMINED? As an aside, I'm a practitioner of Stoicism, and I was excited to see this!
How great this is, a practitioner of Stoicism and a project of Epictetus ! Welcome, section 32 is all yours. Ask if anything is confusing. :thumbs:

Oh, what would you like your catalog name to be? It can be your real name, your forum name or whatever you wish. let me know
Thank you, sir! Forum name is fine.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Chapter 29 is pl ok !
CadenB

Post by CadenB »

Hi, I was wondering if I could claim sections 33 (That We Do Not Strive to Use Our Opinions About Good and Evil) and section 34 (How We Must Adapt Preconceptions to Particular Cases)? Thank you,

CadenB
DanielBader

Post by DanielBader »

I'd like to claim 52-56:

52 THAT WE OUGHT TO PROCEED WITH CIRCUMSPECTION TO EVERYTHING
53 THAT WE OUGHT WITH CAUTION TO ENTER INTO FAMILIAR INTERCOURSE WITH MEN.
54 ON PROVIDENCE
55 ABOUT CYNICISM
56 THAT WE OUGHT NOT TO BE MOVED BY A DESIRE OF THOSE THINGS WHICH ARE NOT IN OUR POWER