COMPLETE [POETRY] Anthology of Massachusetts Poets by William Stanley Braithwaite-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Theginmann wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:27 pm Hi there, so I did my recording (section 17) and I used the Checker app- it said that I "passed with warnings" and it seems the warning is that my "volume falls outside of the target range." My volume setting is where it should be on Audacity- so I'm not sure how to fix that. I think it has to do with the quality of my headset microphone so I am planning on getting a new one but in the meantime, I just wanted to know if I should still submit the recording to you, or will you not be able to use it as such? Thanks for your help, Gini
You should use the Amplify function under the Effects menu in Audacity to bring the volume up or down to get it closer to our target of 89 dB. So, if Checker gives you a volume of 85.5 dB, then Amplify by 2.5. Or if it is too high, like 93.2, then set Amplify for -4.8. Our acceptable range is 86-92 dB which is what Checker is set for.

It is true that headset mics give really poor quality audio. I use one all day on my job, but would never record with it. I still use the moderately priced USB mic that I got when I first started recording for LibriVox almost six years ago. It's good enough for pro work.

Go ahead and submit your recording, though. I'm sure it will be good enough for us. :)

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Generoushorse wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:08 pm I'm considering doing “Three Quatrains.” (no. 74)

Would I have to say “End of Quatrain One” etc. after each quatrain?
Thank you for your interest in this project, Roxy

We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that, post again here and let me know if you still want to record this poem. Let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.

To answer your question, the answer is, "no." Just pause about 1.5-2 seconds, say the title and read the quatrain. Use the usual ending after the last one.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

busithoth wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:42 pm Hello! I would like to tackle #48 War Pictures, by Ruth Lambert Jones.
Thank you for your interest in this project.

We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that, post again here and you are free to record for this project. Let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.

~ Larry

Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Here's my reading for the anthology. 4 minutes long. Thanks, Gini

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusetts_17_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

This message can be disregarded, thanks
Theginmann wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:27 pm Hi there, so I did my recording (section 17) and I used the Checker app- it said that I "passed with warnings" and it seems the warning is that my "volume falls outside of the target range." My volume setting is where it should be on Audacity- so I'm not sure how to fix that. I think it has to do with the quality of my headset microphone so I am planning on getting a new one but in the meantime, I just wanted to know if I should still submit the recording to you, or will you not be able to use it as such? Thanks for your help, Gini
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

May I record section 42?
Thanks, Gini
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Thanks, I am definitely going to get a new mic. I did submit the recording and did the Checker again and it said it "Passed" so, that's good. Thanks for the advice on the sound effects- I will use that. -Gini
silverquill wrote: February 25th, 2021, 10:37 pm
You should use the Amplify function under the Effects menu in Audacity to bring the volume up or down to get it closer to our target of 89 dB. So, if Checker gives you a volume of 85.5 dB, then Amplify by 2.5. Or if it is too high, like 93.2, then set Amplify for -4.8. Our acceptable range is 86-92 dB which is what Checker is set for.

It is true that headset mics give really poor quality audio. I use one all day on my job, but would never record with it. I still use the moderately priced USB mic that I got when I first started recording for LibriVox almost six years ago. It's good enough for pro work.

Go ahead and submit your recording, though. I'm sure it will be good enough for us. :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Theginmann wrote: February 26th, 2021, 4:12 pm Here's my reading for the anthology. 4 minutes long. Thanks, Gini

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusetts_17_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
Thank you!
Actually the audio quality on this is not bad at all. :) And your reading is superb, so I'm glad you're taking another poem. So, this one is PL OK and I have you in for Section 42.

~ Larry

LaurenEmma3

Post by LaurenEmma3 »

Here's section 19 for PL again. The lick is now gone and introduction silence shortened, so hopefully okay now!

Duration: 59 seconds
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_19_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LaurenEmma3 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 9:00 am Here's section 19 for PL again. The lick is now gone and introduction silence shortened, so hopefully okay now!

Duration: 59 seconds
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_19_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
Superb!
Thank you.

~ Larry

Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

I have recorded Three Quatrains:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_74_generoushorse_128kbt._.mp3 1:28

Any PL would be appreciated! This is my first upload, and I'm very excited! Thank you!
Roxy
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Generoushorse wrote: February 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm I have recorded Three Quatrains:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_74_generoushorse_128kbt._.mp3 1:28

Any PL would be appreciated! This is my first upload, and I'm very excited! Thank you!
Thank you!

I am happy to report that you first recording is PL OK! :clap:
You reading is quite good.

I hope you will go far with your LibriVox recording. :)

~ Larry

Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

wrote:
Thank you!

I am happy to report that you first recording is PL OK! :clap:
You reading is quite good.

I hope you will go far with your LibriVox recording. :)
Thanks for your praise! I appreciate it. It sounded fine when I listened to it right after recording, but listening to it now I hear I paused in the wrong places and emphasized the wrong words, etc.

Please tell me that's just the "everyone hates thier own voice" thing...

Note to self. Wait an hour before listening to a recording until you learn how to recognize mistakes right off.
Roxy
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Generoushorse wrote: February 28th, 2021, 9:52 pm
Thanks for your praise! I appreciate it. It sounded fine when I listened to it right after recording, but listening to it now I hear I paused in the wrong places and emphasized the wrong words, etc.

Please tell me that's just the "everyone hates thier own voice" thing...

Note to self. Wait an hour before listening to a recording until you learn how to recognize mistakes right off.
:lol: Well, there is some truth to that maxim. Fresh ears are always good. I have gap between recording and editing primarily for convenience, although there are exceptions.

By now, I've come to terms with listening to my own voice, although on longer pieces I can easily put myself to sleep. But, I lost count of how many times I recorded my first LibriVox poem, trying to get it "just right." I still think Mr. Poe wasn't happy with it. :lol:

You'll do fine, and I hope come up with something better than the chair in the closet, which doesn't give the best audio quality.

~ Larry

brucek

Post by brucek »

I would like to claim sections 34, 36 and 67.

Thanks,
Bruce.