2021 Reading Challenge

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

A friend of mine posted this challenge on social media, and I thought I'd pass it along to anyone who is interested here. I doubt I'll be able to check everything off of the list, but I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

During the next year, try to read one book from each of the following categories:
  • A Complete Volume of Poetry by a Single Author or A Poetry Anthology – Anything from Mother Goose to the Oxford Book of English Verse
  • A Book (or Selection) of Letters
  • A Book of Essays
  • A Collection of Short Stories
  • A Book from Your To-Be-Read Stack
  • A Book You Have Avoided
  • A Book in a Genre You Don’t Normally Read
  • An “Out of Your Comfort Zone” Book
  • Reread a Book You Read for Schoolwork
  • Finish a Book You Started but Never Finished
  • A “Guilty Pleasure” Book
  • An Ancient Greek or Roman Work – A play, epic, or collection of myths
  • A 14th, 15th or 16thCentury Book – A book written in, set in, or about
  • A Shakespeare Play
  • A Victorian Novel
  • A Contemporary Novel
  • A Book by a Minor Author
  • A Classic Book by a Female Author
  • A Lesser-Known Book by a Well-Known Author
  • An “Other World” Book
  • A Foreign (Non-Western) Book
  • Something Russian – A play, short story, novel, or novella
  • A Travel Book – Anything from Travels with a Donkey to A Walk in the Woods
  • A Regional or Local Book
  • A Book on Education, Art, or Literature
  • A Biography or Memoir
  • A Book on History
  • A Historical Fiction Novel
  • A Classic Detective Novel
  • A Classic Children’s Book
  • A Devotional Work
  • A Light Comedic Novel – Such as P. G. Wodehouse
  • A Satire
Personally, I'll be happy if I do around half of these, and to be honest, a few of the categories don't even interest me. But I may end up being surprised.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Imagine having your own collection of you reading 33 different solos. Definitely could be called a person of great taste :mrgreen:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

For those of us who have second languages and who don't use them very often, I would add a book or two from that language. I know that I am very rusty on mine.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ej400 wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:08 pm Imagine having your own collection of you reading 33 different solos. Definitely could be called a person of great taste :mrgreen:
:shock: No thank you! In four years, I've managed 3 solos, and one of them only had four chapters. I'll be happy to finish one solo next year! :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:10 pm For those of us who have second languages and who don't use them very often, I would add a book or two from that language. I know that I am very rusty on mine.
Ooh, what a good idea! I'm at about a picture-book level in Spanish. :mrgreen:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:20 pm
KevinS wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:10 pm For those of us who have second languages and who don't use them very often, I would add a book or two from that language. I know that I am very rusty on mine.
Ooh, what a good idea! I'm at about a picture-book level in Spanish. :mrgreen:
That works!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, I'm in! Always up for a challenge. :D

I have added as a last point Kevin's suggestion of foreign language books, which technically I'm already fulfilling since most of my reading is in English. But hey, there's a couple other languages I'm incompetent in, so let's have a look at what can be done there.

I'm glad a lot of them can be found on LibriVox! Doubling up is not allowed I suppose? :D

Edit: I've just moved the list over to the 2021 Book Club so I only have one place to keep clean and orderly.
As I said, let's see what happens!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

KevinS-san, please take good care of yourself.
Saint Paul leads you hand in hand.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
schrm

Post by schrm »

hm..
3 years on librivox soon, and this year i was disctracted, changed my job again, worked while lockdowns and in between...
i think i will change that to a general programme, change books to sections, too... and add some of the "already done" recordings, single sections count too.
  • A Complete Volume of Poetry by a Single Author or A Poetry Anthology – Anything from Mother Goose to the Oxford Book of English Verse done bc project scheerbart katerpoesie
  • A Book (or Selection) of Letters on my plans, actually missing
  • A Book of Essays goethes essays, eg?
  • A Collection of Short Stories bc projects hoffmann
  • A Book from Your To-Be-Read Stack i didn't finish wunderwelten, yet. the hoffmanns are partially read, only
  • A Book You Have Avoided topic hunting. done several, but a good book: löns mein blaues buch. another topic i avoided may be racism, antisemitism is a nogo for me, but read a fairy tale from the grimm brothers which is. some religious works, maybe too
  • A Book in a Genre You Don’t Normally Read war, benno? fascism, mussolini talks? academic poems, long and exhausting.. :D religious works, too
  • An “Out of Your Comfort Zone” Book done! academic poem which had a duration of 40 minutes? in finished version. done another: the same book, it deals with hunting eg. done another: bunte beute by liliencron, one of my first recordings here. one deals with a murder directly after the marriage ceremony, both was done for the money only. shocking mafia story.. one was 20 minutes long.done: solo reading of benno. war topic...
  • Reread a Book You Read for Schoolwork done in parts. poems from heym, zweig, eg. panther by rilke in english (never thought there is a translation existing, to be honest)
  • Finish a Book You Started but Never Finished on my plan as a next solo
  • A “Guilty Pleasure” Book missing, i think. or is wine drinking in southern tyrol with hallucinations...that would be a hoffmann story, bc-project.i set this to done, because i dpled a book in that area thx jan! :-)
  • An Ancient Greek or Roman Work – A play, epic, or collection of myths missing
  • A 14th, 15th or 16thCentury Book – A book written in, set in, or about done: 2 poems by walther von der vogelweide, sammlung poesie. actually he lived too early: (c.1170 - c.1230)
  • A Shakespeare Play missing
  • A Victorian Novel will have to look up some recordings, but at least in my plans as a next solo. also please see point you started reading and never finished
  • A Contemporary Novel " creates imaginary characters and situations that depict our world and society. It focuses on themes of growing up and confronting personal and social problems. This genre portrays characters coming to understand themselves and others." (quoted from google) benno falls in that area, but also things like fairy tales (anniversary text 14 glücklichen tage). fables by lichtwer, bc project.
  • A Book by a Minor Author don't know what that means, but read benno as a solo which was a war-topic, a one book author, both not very known. a psychologic text concerning pacifism. more or less most works and prjects i read?
  • A Classic Book by a Female Author classic? violet osborne? lay down your arms, bc project?
  • A Lesser-Known Book by a Well-Known Author hauptmann rübezahl falls in that area, but he was the lesser known brother. maybe heym, zweig poems? bc project goethes essays on arts is in that area, too. walther von der vogelweide, 2 poems (sammlung poesie)
  • An “Other World” Book wunderwelten
  • A Foreign (Non-Western) Book ?what is this?
  • Something Russian – A play, short story, novel, or novella missing
  • A Travel Book – Anything from Travels with a Donkey to A Walk in the Woods wunderwelten, fontane
  • A Regional or Local Book done. article from the official newspaper of my country disctrict (sammlung prosa)
  • A Book on Education, Art, or Literature done: several poems psyche by blomberg - deals with frescoes from raffaello
  • A Biography or Memoir done: benno is fictional, violet osborne is fictional. real persons biography would be kaspar hauser
  • A Book on History does secondary literature about rousseau count?
  • A Historical Fiction Novel hm fictional physics, fictional biography, fiction or hope anti war/pacifism texts...no real historic fiction done i think. maybe one of the hoffmann stories falls in that categories...bc projects
  • A Classic Detective Novel only covers done...no, it's done: mord im ballsaal
  • A Classic Children’s Book as dpl several. and as bc project wunderwelten, which was intended to be some sort of teaching fiction
  • A Devotional Work done: samlung prosa, trauerrede für k+k erzherzogin maria theresia; adventskalender, vöglein im walde.
  • A Light Comedic Novel – Such as P. G. Wodehouse done: simplicissimus artikel (samlung prosa)
  • A Satire done: hobby horse by pinero, dr
  • A book in French, Spanish, Dutch or Japanese spanish intros read for some chapters of a adopted project
i'm missing the facts, scientific branches and so on books, i think. and where is a recipe book? where are ghost stories? sci fi, cannibalism or fashion? :mrgreen:
manners and rules, where is that asked for?
:)

i didn't want to post this, actually. but maybe it inspires others to appreciate their own works, more. your work is wonderful, thank you! :clap:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Schrm, the point of a "2021 Challenge" is complete it all within 2021. :wink:

If I counted everything I've ever read, on here and offline, I'd be done with it already, with 2021 not even started...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

Availle wrote: December 25th, 2020, 5:38 pm Schrm, the point of a "2021 Challenge" is complete it all within 2021. :wink:

If I counted everything I've ever read, on here and offline, I'd be done with it already, with 2021 not even started...
true, but as i wrote above: maybe it rises some sort of self esteem, makes your own work more worthy. and i loved to discovr that also newer member are able to show, that they have read for that many different projects.
(additionally, i would never be able to read that much in a year, without being unemployed.)
as a mc, please feel free to move my postings into their own thread, if suiting?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I always jump on reading challenges this time of year, and I always fall way short (distractable thing that I am) but I'm going to try again!

Now, is this supposed to be from all of our reading or just PG/LV selections?

A Complete Volume of Poetry by a Single Author or A Poetry Anthology – Anything from Mother Goose to the Oxford Book of English Verse
A Book (or Selection) of Letters
A Book of Essays
A Collection of Short Stories
A Book from Your To-Be-Read Stack
A Book You Have Avoided
A Book in a Genre You Don’t Normally Read
An “Out of Your Comfort Zone” Book
Reread a Book You Read for Schoolwork
Finish a Book You Started but Never Finished
A “Guilty Pleasure” Book
An Ancient Greek or Roman Work – A play, epic, or collection of myths
A 14th, 15th or 16thCentury Book – A book written in, set in, or about
A Shakespeare Play
A Victorian Novel
A Contemporary Novel
A Book by a Minor Author
A Classic Book by a Female Author
A Lesser-Known Book by a Well-Known Author
An “Other World” Book
A Foreign (Non-Western) Book
Something Russian – A play, short story, novel, or novella
A Travel Book – Anything from Travels with a Donkey to A Walk in the Woods
A Regional or Local Book
A Book on Education, Art, or Literature
A Biography or Memoir
A Book on History
A Historical Fiction Novel
A Classic Detective Novel
A Classic Children’s Book
A Devotional Work
A Light Comedic Novel – Such as P. G. Wodehouse
A Satire

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I won't claim any credit for my readings, but I will try this challenge with the understanding that a chapter is better than nothing and that re-reading a book counts.

N.B. As one grows older, re-reading is an adventure. One marvels at how much new material seems to have been added to one's books by the book elves and fairies.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'd say all of it. I'd have no hope otherwise! :lol: