Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 30th, 2020, 3:28 amSection 41 - William the Testy
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_41_tappan_128kb.mp3
never heard about the pipe plot before. An early edict against smoking in public. Well, it didn't help much :lol: A funny episode. Thanks Alan.

Only one small snip to make:

> at 1:31: repeat "raising such a murky cloud" - can be cut once

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: August 30th, 2020, 3:16 am thank you, Devorah. Interesting indeed. I especially found the story with the "kidnapping" of the pastor quite amazing. :lol: To what lengths they would go to have a clergic of their own. I would have thought back then there were churchmen abundant and not enough parishes to settle them all.
Oh no, not at all. The difficulty and danger of getting to, and traveling in, the US (or colonies, at the time) combined with the very meager salaries (if any) churches there were able to offer meant that very few clergy were even willing to come. It was a generation or two before American pastors started being trained and educated, so the people depended on those who were willing to leave their comfortable situation in England. This is also the time of the circuit riders, the clergy who would ride from town to town, preaching, baptising, marrying and burying as they go, because there were so many little towns that didn't have a pastor at all.
Devorah Allen
Out of town May 27-June 2.

Readers wanted for:
A Cabinet of Gems, Sir Philip Sidney and George MacDonald
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 61--a portrait of a resourceful young man!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_61_tappan_128kb.mp3

8:05

Jim :)
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: August 30th, 2020, 6:40 amThe difficulty and danger of getting to, and traveling in, the US (or colonies, at the time) combined with the very meager salaries (if any) churches there were able to offer meant that very few clergy were even willing to come. It was a generation or two before American pastors started being trained and educated, so the people depended on those who were willing to leave their comfortable situation in England.
ok yes that makes sense... although I thought many felt driven to spread the word to the new colonies. But maybe not as many as I thought :lol:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 6:43 amHere is Section 61--a portrait of a resourceful young man!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_61_tappan_128kb.mp3

Here is Section 79--a military mess!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_79_tappan_128kb.mp3
love it that you always give me a little teaser before I start the section :lol: Both sections PL ok, thank you so much, Jim. And yes, the second section was a bit :shock:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 9:23 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_84_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 9:21
Hello Sonia, above is my edited file.
thank you April, I see the one word "American" has been added at the right spot, but you forgot to make the cut in the beginning:

> at 0:30-0:35: (p. 503): repeat of title and author can be cut here. You say it correctly with the date added after this. I still hear the title and author twice. Just leave the one where you mention the date as well. You can snip off 0:30-0:35.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I actually liked the rythm of the Columbus poem 8-) (I've heard stranger things :lol: ) and excellent corrections :thumbs: both PL ok, thank you Alan !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. I can see you are busy, but that means we are ever so quickly approaching the final days (of the project, not of the earth, or could it be of both?). :lol:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 77 - Patrick Henry

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_77_tappan_128kb.mp3
2:40

I was thinking that as this section speaks at the end about "the speech that follows" it might have been better to place it before section 76, which is the speech. But I suppose it would be too difficult to rearrange at this stage, although as Thomas has not done 76 yet you could make that one 77 and this one 76 :hmm:
Alan
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hi Sonia,

I know my deadline is approaching, and I feel sure I'll be able to record my sections soon, but just in case I can't get them in before the current deadline, may I have a small extension anyway?
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:51 amSection 77 - Patrick Henry
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_77_tappan_128kb.mp3
2:40
I was thinking that as this section speaks at the end about "the speech that follows" it might have been better to place it before section 76, which is the speech. But I suppose it would be too difficult to rearrange at this stage, although as Thomas has not done 76 yet you could make that one 77 and this one 76 :hmm:
ah yes, I see what you mean...it probably doesn't matter much, since the editor also put the picture after the section she refers to. But yes, one could also change it, but then you would have to change the section number in intro and outro as well and in your filename. If you want to do that, I'll change the sections around.

There are a couple more notes here anyway.

> at 0:25-0:27: the pause feels a bit too long here between title and start of text
> at 1:06: missed part of sentence: "left them no opportunity, in their legislative capacity" - which changes the meaning completely to the opposite

thanks !

Sonia