COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 076 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

OooThatsNifty wrote: July 20th, 2020, 3:19 pm Hello!

I'd like to submit the following for this collection:

The Discovery of Witches
by Matthew Hopkins

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_discoveryofwitches_hopkins_ag_128kb.mp3
Length: 23:52

Text Source: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/14015/14015-h/14015-h.htm

What a godawful dude.

A couple of notes:

- As per the transcribers note, I left the instance of "Question" instead of "Query"

- There were a few challenging sections here, what with archaic spellings / pronunciations and unfamiliar syntax. I did my best to stay verbatim and researched meaning / pronunciation as best as I could, but there were certainly points where I had to go with an educated guess. If anything sounds funky or if the intention isn't entirely clear, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!
Hi Andrew, Welcome to the Nonfiction Collection! :) I started to listen to your recording while I checked your specs, source, etc., and am at 11:33 of the 23 minutes as I write this. Wow... Your comment "What a godawful dude" is putting it mildly. It's hard for me even to believe that anyone of that mentality could have been tolerated, but he was...

You read very well. I haven't noticed any problems with the recording, but if, by chance, there are any, Craig, our dedicated proof listener, will help you out.

Thank you for undertaking to read this powerful historical document for the Nonfiction Collection! :)
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Sue Anderson wrote: July 20th, 2020, 5:42 pm Hi Andrew, Welcome to the Nonfiction Collection! :) I started to listen to your recording while I checked your specs, source, etc., and am at 11:33 of the 23 minutes as I write this. Wow... Your comment "What a godawful dude" is putting it mildly. It's hard for me even to believe that anyone of that mentality could have been tolerated, but he was...

You read very well. I haven't noticed any problems with the recording, but if, by chance, there are any, Craig, our dedicated proof listener, will help you out.

Thank you for undertaking to read this powerful historical document for the Nonfiction Collection! :)
Thanks Sue! Happy to contribute :)

Hopkins has been a fascination of mine for a long while. Although, I'd posit that while the specifics have changed, we certainly still have similar mentalities in our midst today...
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee »

Hello, Sue!

I'd love to contribute to this collection, as a first time reader. Quick question, first: How do I know what constitutes as "short"?

thanks!

EJ
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ArtemisBee wrote: July 21st, 2020, 3:52 am Hello, Sue!

I'd love to contribute to this collection, as a first time reader. Quick question, first: How do I know what constitutes as "short"?

thanks!

EJ
Hi EJ, Welcome to the Short Nonfiction Collection! :) What constitutes "short?" I like your question! I don't think I've ever had to give a definition of that before! However, I suppose the answer is this: The SNF accepts two selections per reader per volume. One of those selections is allowed to be a "two parter" (that is, the recording runs over 74 minutes--which is the absolute limit in number of allowed minutes for a selection [so as to fit the selection on a CD, per LibriVox's calculations], and so the selection has to be divided into 2 parts).

2 x 74 = 148 Therefore, my definition of "short" is less than 148 minutes of recording time. If you've done some recording, you can figure out your average-words-per-minute rate by just dividing the number of words in your selection into how long it took you to record it. I, myself, am a slow reader, and I generally calculate 140 to 150 words a minute. Lots of people read faster than that. Maybe we should start a thread "Readers Reading Rates in Words Per Minute." Has anybody done that already???? :mrgreen:
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Andrew :thumbs:
Well read and interesting.

A few errors noted:

11:43 was only they to walke about themselves the night they were watched, only to keepe them waking: - you said walking

18:14 and so by good counsell brought into a sad condition, by understanding of the horribleness of her sin -- you said undertaking

Craig

Witchfinder General 1968 with Vincent Price took place in 1645.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvOBXIWHj-4

A young soldier seeks to put an end to the evils caused by a vicious witch-hunter (Matthew Hopkins) when the latter terrorizes his fiancée and kills her uncle.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee »

Thank you so much, Sue! I appreciate the specificity. :)

If I can, I'd like to contribute: THE DEATH BLOW TO SPIRITUALISM. Being the true story of the Fox sisters, as revealed by authority of Margaret
Fox Kane and Catherine Fox Jencken. Written by R. B. Davenport.

thanks!

EJ

Sue Anderson wrote: July 21st, 2020, 6:35 am
ArtemisBee wrote: July 21st, 2020, 3:52 am Hello, Sue!

thanks!

EJ
Hi EJ, Welcome to the Short Nonfiction Collection! :) What constitutes "short?" I like your question! I don't think I've ever had to give a definition of that before! However, I suppose the answer is this: The SNF accepts two selections per reader per volume. One of those selections is allowed to be a "two parter" (that is, the recording runs over 74 minutes--which is the absolute limit in number of allowed minutes for a selection [so as to fit the selection on a CD, per LibriVox's calculations], and so the selection has to be divided into 2 parts).

2 x 74 = 148 Therefore, my definition of "short" is less than 148 minutes of recording time. If you've done some recording, you can figure out your average-words-per-minute rate by just dividing the number of words in your selection into how long it took you to record it. I, myself, am a slow reader, and I generally calculate 140 to 150 words a minute. Lots of people read faster than that. Maybe we should start a thread "Readers Reading Rates in Words Per Minute." Has anybody done that already???? :mrgreen:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ArtemisBee wrote: July 21st, 2020, 9:37 am Thank you so much, Sue! I appreciate the specificity. :)

If I can, I'd like to contribute: THE DEATH BLOW TO SPIRITUALISM. Being the true story of the Fox sisters, as revealed by authority of Margaret
Fox Kane and Catherine Fox Jencken. Written by R. B. Davenport.

thanks!

EJ
Hi EJ, This looks fine. There are two Public Domain copies of this 1888 book at Haithi Trust: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t21c35r4f&view=1up&seq=5
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

soupy wrote: July 21st, 2020, 7:32 am Thanks Andrew :thumbs:
Well read and interesting.

A few errors noted:

11:43 was only they to walke about themselves the night they were watched, only to keepe them waking: - you said walking

18:14 and so by good counsell brought into a sad condition, by understanding of the horribleness of her sin -- you said undertaking

Craig

Witchfinder General 1968 with Vincent Price took place in 1645.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvOBXIWHj-4

A young soldier seeks to put an end to the evils caused by a vicious witch-hunter (Matthew Hopkins) when the latter terrorizes his fiancée and kills her uncle.
Thanks very much! Here's the updated version - new time is 23:54

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_discoveryofwitches_hopkins_ag_128kb.mp3

Fun fact about the movie - Vincent Price was around 57 during filming...roughly 30 years older than the real Hopkins was at the time of his death.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
soupy

Post by soupy »

Nice Correction Andrew.

I thought Price was a little too old but the movie was right up his alley.

plok

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
SvnnOlson

Post by SvnnOlson »

Hi Sue,

I would still like to do The Art of the Moving Picture Chapter 5. I didn't see it listed in the Magic Window so I wanted to make sure it's still ok.

Thanks,
Savannah
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

SvnnOlson wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 9:03 am Hi Sue,

I would still like to do The Art of the Moving Picture Chapter 5. I didn't see it listed in the Magic Window so I wanted to make sure it's still ok.

Thanks,
Savannah
Hi Savannah, We will welcome your selection from the Art of the Moving Picture! :) This LibriVox collection runs on what you might call a "first come, first served" basis. You don't have to seek permission to read a selection. If you are sure it's in the public domain; you can just upload it. Of course, we're glad to help you ascertain if what you want to read is a) nonfiction and b) in the public domain if you'd like before you begin to record--and that's often advisable when you're new to LibriVox and just trying to figure out how it all works!

Here is my "official take" on this (paragraph #2 in the collection intro "blurb" at the top of the thread:

Sue Anderson wrote: June 28th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Short Nonfiction Collection Vol. 076

Please select and record any short nonfiction piece in the public domain. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain. Try to stay with works that run less than 60 minutes. You may read up to 2 selections per volume. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording; as long as the work is clearly in the public domain. Multiple versions are welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too. :)

So, you won't see a recording listed in the Magic Window until it's been uploaded to Jo's mailbox (MC = knotyouraveragejo)

If your recording is ready, please feel free to upload it :) !
Also--when you are recording, don't worry about there "being room" in the collection. This is an ongoing collection. If your recording arrives too late for one volume, it will just be included in the next one.

When you do upload a selection to Jo's mailbox, please don't forget to post the URL you receive from the uploader here in this thread; otherwise neither I nor Craig will know you have uploaded it! This step is VERY important.

If you have any more questions about how things work, don't hesitate to post them. We're glad to help you!

Best wishes,

SvnnOlson

Post by SvnnOlson »

Got it. Thanks!

Savannah
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi Jo,

I have my second contribution to this collection:

The Cruise of the Wasp by Theodore Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_cuiseofwasp_roosevelt_wc_128kb.mp3

URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1864

Time: 12:34

This tells the amazing (and touching) story of a ship in the War of 1812 that most of us have never heard of. It also reminds us of what war was like 200 years ago.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Kalamareader wrote: July 24th, 2020, 3:47 pm Hi Jo,

I have my second contribution to this collection:

The Cruise of the Wasp by Theodore Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge

This tells the amazing (and touching) story of a ship in the War of 1812 that most of us have never heard of. It also reminds us of what war was like 200 years ago.

Wayne
Thank you, Wayne! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Wayne! :D

A thrilling reading which is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge