Dramatis Personaes, Introductions, & Conclusions in DR's

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Alright, so I'm a little bit confused as to what I should do here. I'm trying to highlight the text for a DR project I plan to start, Men of Iron by Howard Pyle http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1557 but I've run into an issue already.

So the book contains a very short Introduction, and Chapter one is relatively short as well (about 10 mins). I'm thinking about maybe putting the Dramatis Personae, Introduction & Chapter 1 all into one file because most of it would only be the narrator, and it would be roughly 20 minutes max. But I've also got a conclusion at the end of the book, which contains dialogue and is about 5-10 mins, so I'm unsure as to how many sections I should break these all into. Do I have the Dramatis Personae and Introduction in one file? Also, should the conclusion be separate from the final chapter?

It's a 33 chapter book, that has an introduction & conclusion. All the chapters are about 6 to 20 minutes long.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Elijah
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ej400 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:57 am Alright, so I'm a little bit confused as to what I should do here. I'm trying to highlight the text for a DR project I plan to start, Men of Iron by Howard Pyle http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1557 but I've run into an issue already.

So the book contains a very short Introduction, and Chapter one is relatively short as well (about 10 mins). I'm thinking about maybe putting the Dramatis Personae, Introduction & Chapter 1 all into one file because most of it would only be the narrator, and it would be roughly 20 minutes max. But I've also got a conclusion at the end of the book, which contains dialogue and is about 5-10 mins, so I'm unsure as to how many sections I should break these all into. Do I have the Dramatis Personae and Introduction in one file? Also, should the conclusion be separate from the final chapter?

It's a 33 chapter book, that has an introduction & conclusion. All the chapters are about 6 to 20 minutes long.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Elijah
I don't know if it is a requirement to always begin with the Dramatis Personae, but, if not, I would do the introduction as a separate section. Then, open Chapter 1 as the 'real' thing, including the DP. I suspect the conclusion deserves its own section.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

KevinS wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:05 am I don't know if it is a requirement to always begin with the Dramatis Personae, but, if not, I would do the introduction as a separate section. Then, open Chapter 1 as the 'real' thing, including the DP. I suspect the conclusion deserves its own section.
Usually, we start the DR's off with the Dramatis Personae, whether that is before the Introduction or Chapter 1. It sometimes is in the same file as either one of those, and sometimes it is not, but if there is an Introduction it doesn't usually wait for Chapter 1. I don't think it's a requirement, just an unwritten rule pretty much.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ej400 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:14 am
KevinS wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:05 am I don't know if it is a requirement to always begin with the Dramatis Personae, but, if not, I would do the introduction as a separate section. Then, open Chapter 1 as the 'real' thing, including the DP. I suspect the conclusion deserves its own section.
Usually, we start the DR's off with the Dramatis Personae, whether that is before the Introduction or Chapter 1. It sometimes is in the same file as either one of those, and sometimes it is not, but if there is an Introduction it doesn't usually wait for Chapter 1. I don't think it's a requirement, just an unwritten rule pretty much.
As you wish. The point, I suppose, is that the introduction is a fine vehicle for allowing the listener to quickly decide something about the book. It's never fair, of course, to do so, but it's a convenience for the listener. To the fair-minded listener, none of this will matter. He or she will be patient and listen, at least, to a few chapters.