Institutional memory required (please)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I have doubts that this question can be easily answered by my conducting 'mechanical' searches, so I will rely on everyone's memory.

Has LibriVox done many---or any---Science Fiction DRs?

It would be tremendous fun.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

At least one: Danger in Deep Space, by Carey Rockwell. I played a couple of characters in it.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Peter Why wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 12:49 pm At least one: Danger in Deep Space, by Carey Rockwell. I played a couple of characters in it.
Peter
I'll have to have a listen.

Up for another performance in something in the new year?

EDIT: My gosh, it's five hours long!

I guess I'm suggesting a short story or two.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I know of at least one sci-fi short story done as a DR. It was "The Tunnel Under the World" by Frederik Pohl, included in the 2015 Dramatic Reading Scene and Story Collection. I only happen to know about this one because I was involved in the editing. There are likely others that I don't know about.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

commonsparrow3 wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 1:04 pm I know of at least one sci-fi short story done as a DR. It was "The Tunnel Under the World" by Frederik Pohl, included in the 2015 Dramatic Reading Scene and Story Collection. I only happen to know about this one because I was involved in the editing. There are likely others that I don't know about.
Thank you! I'm pleased there is a precedent, if you will.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Keen idea Kevin. I normally avoid DRs but a SF one might be fun.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 1:36 pm Keen idea Kevin. I normally avoid DRs but a SF one might be fun.
You're going to be the leading man!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I think Kevin is hinting at something and there's no memory needed :lol: <laughing> What kind of Sci Fic DR would you like to do Kevin? I'd be happy to plan with you and would help out if you'd like to do something a bit larger.

But to answer your question. Unfortunately our advanced search bars wont search for a specific genre and if it's a solo, DR or group :( So yes, lot's of memory needed, or you can go ahead and try to search up all the Science Fiction DR's you think might have been done by title.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A couple related but not directly-related comments:

If it's one short story, it'd go in the DR Scene & Story Collection, current one here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75165

Note that because most sci-fi is more recent, often the author(s) haven't died in time to give non-US readers a shot at them, limiting your potential pool of readers. Something to keep in mind. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:18 pm A couple related but not directly-related comments:

If it's one short story, it'd go in the DR Scene & Story Collection, current one here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75165

Note that because most sci-fi is more recent, often the author(s) haven't died in time to give non-US readers a shot at them, limiting your potential pool of readers. Something to keep in mind. :)
All good advice. I have to get into some kind of queue, I think, for the DR Scene & Story Collection, don't I? If so, we have time, I think, as this won't take off until the new year.

Very good point about trying to find something that is PD for everyone. I will keep that high on the list of priorities.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

There was that one about the robots? RUR? Or some other strange name?

There was also the classic “Around the World in 80 days”.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Elizabby wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:43 am There was that one about the robots? RUR? Or some other strange name?

There was also the classic “Around the World in 80 days”.
I vaguely remember something about the robot, now that you mention it. By Kurt Vonnegut maybe?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

R.U.R - Rossum’s Universal Robots.

Credited with introducing the word “robot” to the English language.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Elizabby wrote: October 29th, 2019, 3:06 am R.U.R - Rossum’s Universal Robots.

Credited with introducing the word “robot” to the English language.
Yes, thank you! A Czech writer.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

https://librivox.org/wanted-7-fearless-engineers-by-warner-van-lorne/ was a DR but it was done for LV by LV readers who got together one day.

Anne