Thoughts about Audacity...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

An interesting thing (to me), while I'm editing my recordings, is that were not just creating audiobooks and improving out readings to be the best they can, but also that were learning how to see sound. And the fact that were seeing sound-waves! I think it's pretty cool. What I mean by the "learning how to see sound", is that after editing for some time, we start to know exactly what quick and pointy thing is (it's a click). Or now I know what it looks like what I say the word "hello". It just fascinates me.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

ej400 wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 11:55 am And the fact that were seeing sound-waves!
That is not only in Audacity, that is also in other recording programs. And yes, I feel it is cool, too. :D I don't know how "hello" looks like, though, somehow I never really said it while recording (or at least I don't remember).
Cori

Post by Cori »

I've been fascinated by looking at other people's voices in my editing software, too. I'm fairly sure I could pick mine out of a line-up. :D And it's an interesting way to explore recordings I find particularly 'good' (LibriVox and other sources) -- I enjoy listening to the story straight through, and then 'take a look', so I can see volume, levelling, sometimes where the edits were ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cori wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 12:26 pm I've been fascinated by looking at other people's voices in my editing software, too. I'm fairly sure I could pick mine out of a line-up. :D
I've noticed this, too! When I started editing DRs, I was very surprised at the look of other people's recordings, and how different they looked from mine.
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

ej400 wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 11:55 am An interesting thing (to me), while I'm editing my recordings, is that were not just creating audiobooks and improving out readings to be the best they can, but also that were learning how to see sound. And the fact that were seeing sound-waves! I think it's pretty cool. What I mean by the "learning how to see sound", is that after editing for some time, we start to know exactly what quick and pointy thing is (it's a click). Or now I know what it looks like what I say the word "hello". It just fascinates me.
Ha! I was just talking about this to my partner as well! That's the best way I could explain it, too...seeing sound. So cool.
Josh Kibbey