COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 011-thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Availle wrote: November 14th, 2018, 4:27 am Enter CUTAWAY, C. D.
But if we assume that those refer to the location as in the chart Kitty posted, so that's "Center Downstage" (aka "Downstage center"), it still doesn't make any sense. How does one *enter* downstage center -- unless you are climbing out of the audience?
Truth,
James
---------------------
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

ZamesCurran wrote: November 15th, 2018, 2:27 pm But, now that you've got the job, that leaves just Mr. Cutaway, which I guess, I'll take.
You may want to consider orphaning Peter Prig. The reader hasn't been seen since August and there's no indication of when he will return (if at all). It might be more expedient to find someone else to read the role---or you can take Peter for yourself and leave Cutaway open.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ZamesCurran wrote: November 15th, 2018, 2:33 pmBut if we assume that those refer to the location as in the chart Kitty posted, so that's "Center Downstage" (aka "Downstage center"), it still doesn't make any sense. How does one *enter* downstage center -- unless you are climbing out of the audience?
:hmm: yes in this case it might sound strange... unless they come out of a trap in the floor :lol: like the devil in medieval plays.

I'll sign you up for the last remaining role !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty wrote: November 16th, 2018, 12:32 am
ZamesCurran wrote: November 15th, 2018, 2:33 pmBut if we assume that those refer to the location as in the chart Kitty posted, so that's "Center Downstage" (aka "Downstage center"), it still doesn't make any sense. How does one *enter* downstage center -- unless you are climbing out of the audience?
:hmm: yes in this case it might sound strange... unless they come out of a trap in the floor :lol: like the devil in medieval plays.
That's great. Not very helpful in how I'm supposed to read this after all, but it's great to know I guess. :?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

mightyfelix wrote: November 14th, 2018, 7:15 am Yes indeed, stages were slanted that way. Nowadays, we're accustomed to theatres where the house is slanted (where the audience sits) and the stage is flat. But in older times (and not just Noh performances) the audience usually was standing on a flat surface, and the stage was slanted so that you could see all the players.
That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing! :D

In the old Noh stage I was recently, the audience would sit on cushions that were on an elevated platform - two rows of cushions, then another 10 cm added to the platform. About 8 rows in total plus "balconies".
Originally, however, Noh was staged outside in shrines without any platforms for the spectators, so that's where the slanted stage would come from. With only a pine tree painted to the back wall of the stage...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: November 16th, 2018, 7:23 am That's great. Not very helpful in how I'm supposed to read this after all, but it's great to know I guess. :?
in my opinion, I think one can safely leave out the detailed abbreviations...I would simply say "Exit right" without S.D. or whatever. Especially because we are not sure what it really means.

I remember, in Charley's Aunt I think it was, we also left out the abbreviations that were too cryptic. Devorah must remember... she was the long suffering Narrator there.

Sonia
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Poor Harold from "Food" seems to have slipped off to the gallows before recording his role!

May I claim the part, please?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

jfgallagher wrote: November 17th, 2018, 9:52 am Poor Harold from "Food" seems to have slipped off to the gallows before recording his role!

Yes, please, I'd love to have you! Feel free to be as melodramatic as you like. This play is absolutely hilarious, and made even more so because of the fact that the characters take themselves so seriously.

And yes, Sonia, for Charley's Aunt, I guessed on some of the abbreviations, and skipped some others when I couldn't figure it out.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jfgallagher wrote: November 17th, 2018, 9:52 am Poor Harold from "Food" seems to have slipped off to the gallows before recording his role!
great, thank you, I sign you up :)

Sonia
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Here is Harold from "Food"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/food_harold_demille.mp3
recording time 2:01

Harold doesn't have a written line where the narration says (Harold starts--cries out)...but I exclaimed anyway. Feel free to toss it out if you don't think it belongs.

Let me know if there is anything else that needs work.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

jfgallagher wrote: November 20th, 2018, 3:52 pm Here is Harold from "Food"

recording time 2:01

Harold doesn't have a written line where the narration says (Harold starts--cries out)...but I exclaimed anyway. Feel free to toss it out if you don't think it belongs.

Let me know if there is anything else that needs work.
That sounds like it will be wonderful! I look forward to hearing it.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jfgallagher wrote: November 20th, 2018, 3:52 pm Here is Harold from "Food"
thank you, MW is updated now :)

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

UPDATE: Almost done editing Irene and Miss Brown. 🙋‍♀️
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice job on Harold, thank you! There is one tiny spot, where an omitted word changes the line, that I'd like you to correct.

At about 1:48 the line is "Thank God I haven't got that to face." You omitted the word "that," making it sound like he's cutting off without finishing his sentence. The "that" he's referring to is Basil's "murder" of the egg. :wink: :lol:

You can just submit this one line in its own file. Thanks!
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Here is my corrected version of Harold from "Food". I don't know what became of "that"...I suppose "that" might have been hiding in the jewel case with the egg!

recording time 01:59

Jim