Noisy roommates!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Has anyone found the solution to the problem of having noisy roommates to deal with while recording? In my dorm, I can hear practically everything my roommates say, and it makes it difficult for me to find time to record. It's not really their fault either; my roommate has got the TV up right now at a modest volume in the living room, but it's still very noticeable in my recordings, even at the lowest mic input setting on Audacity. I can't just tell them to stop speaking to each other and watching TV.. is it possible to edit that stuff out, or am I going to have to do midnight recordings from now on?
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
kayray

Post by kayray »

It's a tough situation. It might be possible to build yourself a little isolation booth, by hanging thick blankets from the ceiling all around your recording area. But you might smother in the summer...
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I don't think you can edit it out very well. Recording when everyone else is out or asleep might be a good option...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Cori

Post by Cori »

If you get the chance to try different mics, that might help a bit ... my mic, though picking up birdnoise from three counties away, comfortably ignored fairly loud music from the house next door (through the recording room wall.)

Simply sitting in a different direction might help too ... facing the source of the noise instead of it being behind you. And have a look at this suggestion, if your mic accomodates it:

http://digitalprosound.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=89503
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It may be a bit retrograde, but, if you have a soundcard, use an electrec or dynamic microphone that plugs into it. I do my recording on my older computer, which has a Soundblaster card, with a Yoga condenser mike. I have to have my mouth within a couple of inches of the mike (to one side, pointing diagonally at me, to avoid plosives), but the short range can be an advantage.

I did buy a USB mike to go with my newer computer, but it is so sensitive that I would have to build a soudproof bucket for it, just to avoid picking up computer noise.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger