Latin Pronunciation Help Needed

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
beckym

Post by beckym »

Hello,

I've been working on recording the George Eliot novel, Daniel Deronda. There are several Latin (I think) passages or phrases in it that I'm not sure how to pronounce. I was wondering if someone would record the words so that I could practice then record and insert them in my chapters. Here is the text. Latin is bold. The other text is just there for context, so you only need to pronounce the bold words. Thanks so much!!

(since Science, too, reckons backward as well as forward, divides his unit into billions, and with his clock-finger at Nought really sets off _in medias res_.)

"Well, I will consult Lord Brackenshaw's head groom. He is my _fidus
Achates_
in the horsey way."

What do you say to Briseis being led away? I would be
Achilles, and you would be looking round at me--after the print we have at the rectory."

'Tis a condition apt to befall a life too much at large, unmoulded by the pressure of obligation. _Nam deteriores omnes sumus licentiae_, or, as a more familiar tongue might deliver it, _"As you like" is a bad finger-post._

She sang Beethoven's "Per pietà non dirmi addio"

It's a sort of Medea and Creüsa business. Fancy the two meeting! Grandcourt is a new kind of Jason: I wonder what sort of a part he'll make of it. It's a dog's part at best. I think I hear Ristori now, saying, 'Jasone! Jasone!' These fine women generally get hold of a stick."

He is no straight-laced Jew, spitting after the word Christian, and
enjoying the prospect that the Gentile mouth will water in vain for a
slice of the roasted Leviathan, while Israel will be sending up plates
for more, _ad libitum_, (You perceive that my studies had taught
me what to expect from the orthodox Jew.)

Fate, my friend, has made you the hinder wheel--_rota posterior
curras, et in axe secundo_
--run behind, because you can't help it."
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Hi Beckym-I've done an mp3 of these words -there are several ways of pronouncing Latin-the most common of which are the 'restored' and the 'Italian' - I use the 'restored'

http://download.yousendit.com/48DF10AB2E08C3CF

GE gives an idea of what most of these are about, but :

in medias res -in the midst of things; a common saying, used for instance of the way Homer starts the Iliad

fidus Achates - faithful Achates - Achates was a companion of Aeneas in the Aeneid -he doesn't often appear without this adjective

nam deteriores omnes sumus licentiae -we're all the worse for too much freedom - I don't know where this comes from, perhaps a proverb

per pieta, non dirmi addio -[Italian] for pity's sake, don't say goodbye to me

ad libitum - as much as you like

Medea and Creusa - the first an actual, and the second a would-be, infanticide; both deserted by the father-Jason in Medea's case

rota posterior curras, et in axe secundo

This is from the satires of Persius V 71

nam quamuis prope te, quamuis temone sub uno uertentem sese frustra sectabere canthum,
cum rota posterior curras et in axe secundo

our line is 'when you're the back wheel and on the second axle'

It was a popular quotation in 18th century England,and appears in the Spectator. Dryden translates it : 'Why like the hindmost chariot wheels art curst, still to be near, but ne'er to reach the first.

hefyd