Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

Here are my final 2 sections :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/13colonies_38_guerber_128kb.mp3
Time 6:58

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/13colonies_39_guerber_128kb.mp3
Time 7:45

This was a great project to work on! Thank you for allowing me to read. If you need more chapters read, I'd love to read more. I'm new and don't know the "polite" number to sign up for :oops: Since I've already read 9 sections for this book, I didn't want to keep others from reading that may want to!
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Larry,

You probably missed my request when I submitted my sections, but I would like to claim sections
64, 65 and 66 if possible.

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

maggietravers wrote:Here are my final 2 sections :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/13colonies_38_guerber_128kb.mp3
Time 6:58

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/13colonies_39_guerber_128kb.mp3
Time 7:45

This was a great project to work on! Thank you for allowing me to read. If you need more chapters read, I'd love to read more. I'm new and don't know the "polite" number to sign up for :oops: Since I've already read 9 sections for this book, I didn't want to keep others from reading that may want to!
Thanks, Maggie! I've marked them for PL.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but really, feel free to read as many sections as you like! There is always more than enough to go around. I've got several projects waiting in the wings, though quite different. I think this has great appeal both in subject matter and because it comes in nice short bit-sized pieces. So, just let me know what you'd like to read next. :D

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HughGil wrote:Hi Larry,

You probably missed my request when I submitted my sections, but I would like to claim sections
64, 65 and 66 if possible.

Hugh
Yep, I probably did! I was rushing to get this updated before leaving on an appointment and didn't get everything. Thanks so much for claiming more sections! :clap:

~ Larry
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

Great! Then I'll take sections 30, 31, and 34 to fill inbetween my other readings!
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Larry,

May I take Sections 18 (The French in Canada) and 19 (French and Spanish Quarrels)?

Thanks,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

maggietravers wrote:Great! Then I'll take sections 30, 31, and 34 to fill inbetween my other readings!
Wonderful. Thanks so much.

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DACSoft wrote:Hi Larry,

May I take Sections 18 (The French in Canada) and 19 (French and Spanish Quarrels)?

Thanks,
Don
These are yours. Thanks so much :thumbs:

~ Larry
Millicent

Post by Millicent »

Good Morning

All sections that were marked ready for PL have now been marked PL OK
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ej400 wrote:Here is chapter 12. I had fun recording it. :mrgreen: :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/13colonies_12_guerber_128kb.mp3
06:44
Hi, Elijah!

Thanks for taking the time to record this section. It really is a lot of fun, isn't it.

I thought I would take another listen to your recording because there seems to be some issues with it.

First are two technical problems.
1) The volume is too low, coming in at 82dB. The target for Librivox is 89dB so recordings should be within two or three decibels of that. This is clearly out of range.
2) There is no silence at all at the start of the recording. I'm not sure how critical this is, but we try to have about one half to a second of silence at the beginning, but not more than a second

Then your intro is not correct. The phrase" For more information, or to volunteer," has been changed to something like "or to find out how you can volunteer." This may have been found in some older versions, but the standard intro as given should be used.

Overall there are just a lot of stumbles, repeats, distracting edits and mispronunciations throughout the recording. We don't look for perfection, but there are many places where the recording is just not understandable. One paragraph has a whole section of a sentence repeated and then part of it omitted, so that it comes out really garbled.

I've highlighted below the places where I think the problems are serious enough to need correction. I've not liste all of the places, even though this may seem like a lot. The mispronunciations that I've listed are for names that have pretty standard, accepted formats, like Barcelona and the Azores.

So, take another listen and see what you can do. I think some of this may need to be recorded again. You may also need to make some adjustment to your recording setup, adjusting the mike position or the gain setting, to get a better volume. Some of this can be corrected through amplification, but amplifying by 6 or 7db is likely to introduce some distortion.

- volume is only 82 dB
- no silence at the beginning
- intro is incorrect
1:30 mispronounced "The Azores"
2:06 misread "who once had listened to him" as "what at once had listened to him."
2:09 end of the word "eagerly" cut off
2;30 word "the" repeated
3:04 word "the" repeated
3:10 an entire line is repeated "in the storm and came . . . " followed by omissions
3:28 Barcelona mispronounced
3:36 "curiosities" garbled
4:18 "solemn thanks" omitted or garbled
5;20 word "equally" omitted
5:27 word "sensation" sounds like like "sinisted"
5:34 word "to" repeated
5:55 "Canary Islands" mispronounced
6:18 "to honor" repeated instead of "to homes"
6:21 word "Caribs" repeated

~ Larry
2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

May I claim chapters 54 through 59?

Mike
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

2peltons wrote:May I claim chapters 54 through 59?

Mike
You've got them!

Thanks so much.

~ Larry