[COMPLETE]Commentary on 1 Corinthians, Vol. 1-John Calvin-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Kristin--Nice job on your recordings! :) I have a few fixes for you.

Section 40:
--At ~13:07 there is a repeat "And when he adds--no--When he adds and we in him..."

Section 65:
--At ~6:24 you clear your throat. Could you snip that out for me?

Section 66:
--At ~2:59 there is a repeat "For my part, while as--For my part, while I leave..."
--At ~14:37 there is a small stumble "And assuredly God had not adorned him with such un--distingushed endowments..." (I think that you can just highlight and delete that errant "un" so that the meaning is clear to listeners.)
--At ~18:15 in the last few words of the section, there is one word omitted (in red): "...that is, under the guidance and impulse of the Holy Spirit." Do you think that phrase has such significant meaning that it should be corrected?

Thank you!

(Note to Rachel--You're up next! I will listen to your file a bit later this evening. :wink: )
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

RachClem wrote:Here is section 67.-- 13:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/commcorinthiansvol1_67_calvin_128kb.mp3
I hope it's ok for my first time!
Rachel, you did a very nice job! :clap: You have a lovely, clear voice and very nice pacing. Your technical specs are all correct. We do have a few items to fix. For one thing, we are reading the Greek words as they appear in the text. You got one of them in there, but you missed a couple.

Section 67:
--At ~1:53 you omitted the Greek word in red "For the verb κηρύσσομεν (we preach) is in the present tense--" (page 17 in the text)
--At ~6:34 the name "Erasmus" might be more easily recognized if pronounced as here: http://www.forvo.com/search/erasmus/en/ (bottom of page 19 in the text)
--At ~6:40 you omitted the Greek word in red "But, as it has also among the Greeks the force of ἀπό, (from)" (top of page 20 in the text)
--At ~10:46 the text shows "...that pious souls do even at this day rest in the same expectation"--but I hear you say ""...that pious souls do not even at this day rest in the same expectation" Could you take out that added "not" for me? It kind of changes the meaning of the text. (page 22 in the text)
--At ~12:57 I think that the citation should read "2 Corinthians Chapter 5, Verse 2" (page 23 in the text)

As far as the Greek words, sometimes you can find the Ancient Greek pronunciation at the Forvo.com website (see, for example, the second missing word above ἀπό). But I didn't find the first missing Greek word. Fortunately, we have a forum thread here precisely for help with Ancient Greek pronunciation! :thumbs:

I've read a few of these sections myself, and I didn't have a clue about the Greek words. So I posted a request for help with the pronunciation in that Ancient Greek forum like this: viewtopic.php?p=929331#p929331. If you post a new message in that thread, then someone will be along shortly to give you a phonetic pronunciation or else possibly record it for you so that you can hear what it sounds like. Perhaps you could post there to get the correct pronunciation for that first Greek word (presuming, of course, that you don't know it already).

One of our super cool members made some short, helpful videos here: Instructional Videos. If it would be helpful to you, check out the bottom half of the page for some info about editing files. Also, I did a quick scan of the text in your other claimed sections. I didn't see any Greek words at all in Section 68. In Section 69, I saw the Greek word "ὑπέρ" and also a little bit of Latin ("habere pro derelicto" and "propter"). So that's just a little advance warning if you still wish to record those two sections.

This project is not easy reading for your very first recording, and you really did a wonderful job, Rachel! Upload the edited recording using the same file name, and then post the link here again along with the new length of the recording. Please don't hesitate to ask for help if you have questions or run into any problems while making the corrections. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

lubee930 wrote: Section 40:
--At ~13:07 there is a repeat "And when he adds--no--When he adds and we in him..."
Fixed and now 19:03
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/commcorinthiansvol1_40_calvin_128kb.mp3
lubee930 wrote:Section 65:
--At ~6:24 you clear your throat. Could you snip that out for me?
Can't believe I missed something that obvious. Now 12:32.
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/commcorinthiansvol1_65_calvin_128kb.mp3
lubee930 wrote:Section 66:
--At ~2:59 there is a repeat "For my part, while as--For my part, while I leave..."
--At ~14:37 there is a small stumble "And assuredly God had not adorned him with such un--distingushed endowments..." (I think that you can just highlight and delete that errant "un" so that the meaning is clear to listeners.)
--At ~18:15 in the last few words of the section, there is one word omitted (in red): "...that is, under the guidance and impulse of the Holy Spirit." Do you think that phrase has such significant meaning that it should be corrected?
)
Fixed. As I am a "word-perfect" girl in a "PL Standard" world (lol), I added the word in, even though there's probably not a major meaning change in leaving it out. Now 18:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/commcorinthiansvol1_66_calvin_128kb.mp3
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Thanks so much for your speedy edits, Kristin--I really appreciate it! :9:

Section 40: PL OK
Section 65: PL OK
Section 66: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

I'm back. I see Lucretia has been busy in my stead. Thank you.

I see two sections that are awaiting revisions:

Hope4Ever's section: 33
RachClem's section: 67

But nothing else to do at the moment.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Arnieh wrote:I'm back. I see Lucretia has been busy in my stead. Thank you.
I see two sections that are awaiting revisions:
Hope4Ever's section: 33
RachClem's section: 67
But nothing else to do at the moment.
Glad to see you back, Arnie--hope you are doing well! :thumbs:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
RachClem

Post by RachClem »

Ok, sorry it took me so long to get on here and post this!

13:49

Thank you for all your tips and links. They were extremely helpful! Thank you for the compliments as well, boosts my confidence as I start the other two projects!
Rachel
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

RachClem wrote:Ok, sorry it took me so long to get on here and post this!
13:49
Thank you for all your tips and links. They were extremely helpful! Thank you for the compliments as well, boosts my confidence as I start the other two projects!
No apology needed, Rachel. You did a great job on your edits--thank you so much! :clap:

Section 67: PL OK

Arnie--I went ahead and spot-checked Rachel's file since I wrote the notes. I will turn the PL'ing back over to you now. (I'm quite sure that you will enjoy listening to Rachel's next sections! :) ) Also, I have PM'ed our readers for 33, 70, and 71.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
RachClem

Post by RachClem »

Rachel
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Thanks, Rachel--in the MW for PL'ing... :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

lubee930 wrote:Also, I have PM'ed our readers for 33, 70, and 71.
As I have received no response from either reader (and it has been at least a month since last login--or longer), I have orphaned Section 70 and Section 71. I will make the corrections to Section 33 as best I can and upload again soon-ish. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Ok, section 68 has been PL'ed, here are my notes:

Not sure if this means much, but in the intro, the reader correctly identifies "John Pringle" as the translator, but does not include the title "Reverend".

At around 01:30 till 04:30 there is what I will describe as a clipping or audio distortion. It is rather pronounced and a bit distracting.

At 05:36 the text reads "In what respect Christ will deliver up the kingdom to the father ..." the reader here omits the word Christ and so we have "In what respect will deliver up the kingdom to the father ..." which is a bit unclear.

Volume is a bit on the quiet side at 86.8 dB according to checker, but the file has passed validation.

Reader has a beautiful and clear voice.

Thanks for letting me listen.
RachClem

Post by RachClem »

Whoops, I can add that "Reverend" in. I can not figure out how to get rid of the clipping though! Any suggestions?
Rachel
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

RachClem wrote:Whoops, I can add that "Reverend" in. I can not figure out how to get rid of the clipping though! Any suggestions?
You can't fix clipping. The best remedy is to re-record the clipping portion. (Well, the best is not to clip in the first place.) ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RachClem

Post by RachClem »

Haha ok! What causes clipping? I'm not sure how I caused it. I don't want it to happen again! :D
Rachel