Poor sound quality

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi all,

In this project:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4135

wordking has submitted a recording of the last chapter which is well read, but the sound quality is not very good, which he recognises. Part of the problem seems to have been difficulties in using SoundForge, and having to convert to mp3 via ram, for some reason.

I've told him that the general way things work is that it's up to him as the reader to be happy or not with the final product, and he can re-record if he likes.

Does anyone else have views on this? Is the sound quality acceptable for LibriVox as it is or not?

The recording is here (it is in French, by the way):

http://www.carlmanchester.net/James/essaysinradicalempiricism_14_james.mp3

Many thanks,
Carl.

Brief translation for wordking's benefit - Traduction en bref pour wordking

- la lecture est bonne, mais la qualite du son est mauvais, et wordking est d'accord
- je crois que c'est normal que la lecteur decide comment faire - c'est pour wordking a decider s'il veut re-enregistrer ou non
- est-ce qu'il y a de divers avis a ce sujet?
Last edited by CarlManchester on March 10th, 2007, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Carl, I couldn't get that link to work .. "not on this server"

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Sorry Peter - please give it five mins. You're just too darn efficient.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

It looks like either it was recorded at a very low level with a relatively high signal-to-noise, and then the volume boosted so high that all the voice is clipped and distorted, and the background noise exaggerated, or just recorded at way too high a volume. It's possible, I guess, that it happened during the mp3 translation, but more likely that the original recording input was just way too high. Noise cleaning doesn't help a lot, because the voice is still distorted.

Do you have a sample of the recording before it was converted to an mp3?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Carl,

Yes, that background rumble is pretty bad. It will be cleanable, by someone who has good noise-cleaning software, but that will probably distort the sound of wordking's voice to some degree. As it's a long piece, though, it may be worth trying that before resorting to a re-recording.

If you don't get an offer of help here, try in 'Listeners and Editors wanted' - titling the post 'Noise-cleaning help needed' or somesuch.

David
wordking

Post by wordking »

Thank you
i think, i well do it again, with your advices, concerning volum and software, and then i well see.
Tou kwon, it is my first time, so i have made a lot of mistakes; i well do my best to do it so clean. No problem
Que large soit toujours le sourir de ceux qu'on aime
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

wordking wrote:Thank you
i think, i well do it again, with your advices, concerning volum and software, and then i well see.
Tou kwon, it is my first time, so i have made a lot of mistakes; i well do my best to do it so clean. No problem
Sadly this is sometimes the best solution. :cry: And it might be just right for you.

I hope that I'm being helpful with this suggestion, ( :wink: ) and it's one that LV suggests to everyone. Start out with small projects of very short length. I know many people don't like poetry, but it's actually a very good training ground, until one works through the nuances of software and equipment. The learning curve varies with people. But please ( :) ) know that there are numbers of people here thrilled to take folks through the whole process again and again. The more questions or suggestions for help anyoneone can ask, the more you'll find help.

Maybe you might even want to just do a short section of this project --a few minutes, nothing much longer-- and see what you think. Ask for suggestions/feedback and work through it little by little until you're satisfied. Remember -- this has to be fun! :wink:

Best to you on your LV adventures! You picked a good project! :P
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Cloud Mountain wrote:Maybe you might even want to just do a short section of this project --a few minutes, nothing much longer-- and see what you think. Ask for suggestions/feedback and work through it little by little until you're satisfied. Remember -- this has to be fun! :wink: :P
Yes, I think this would be a good idea - I'm sure having to record the whole thing over once will be quite enough for wordking...

Also agree that its probably the case that everyone gets a learning curve when they first sign up. My first recording for LV was full of really bad plosives, but I've since worked out how to avoid them (most of the time).

Thanks,
Carl.
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

CarlManchester wrote: Also agree that its probably the case that everyone gets a learning curve when they first sign up. My first recording for LV was full of really bad plosives, but I've since worked out how to avoid them (most of the time).

Thanks,
Carl.
That's terrific Carl; I'm glad that you're progressing. Before you know it your recordings will sound like they come from a professional studio! :shock:

Still... Remember that being perfect isn't important. Just making recordings pleasant in your own style is what LV is all about. Have fun!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]