Help learning to edit

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Three sections of an otherwise well-read file for Decl & Fall of the RE I were omitted due to Gutenberg text ambiguities. After I blythly posted that, yes, I could edit them together, the reader just sent me the missing sections rather than fixing the file herself.

I have inserted to sections in their proper places, but the volume of the original recording is noticibly softer then the inserts, and my perusal of the manual has not yielded a likely solution. :evil: :oops:

Also, although OK by LV standards, I think she "peaks" at the level of the main reading, and while we're at it, maybe fixing this would also improve the file.

I know it's more trouble in the short run than just fixing it, but could someone talk me through doing it in Audacity? Or even suggest other editing possibilities?
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

I think whats probably the biggest issue is that its recorded on different microphones. :S

The original was on a headset where I had to up the gain cause it was too quiet. But the new sections are on a Logitech USB mic and I don't need to touch the gain with that one. :S

Sorry for causing so much trouble! :(
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
kristin

Post by kristin »

I would try highlighting the added sections and going into effect > amplify and bring the volume down a bit. It make take a couple tries to get it right but should work and is the easiest way.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

You may also want to try using effects/normalize and effects/compressor on the entire file... depending on how different the recording session was, that should bring things more into line.
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

What ever you do , its a good idea to save an unedited copy. Go to File Save as then name the file something different like "unedited"

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Rowen: it's not trouble, it's a learning opportunity! :)

Thank you, everyone! I'll tackle the file again tomorrow!
kristin

Post by kristin »

Wow, I just noticed you're in Elm Grove. I could just about shout the instructions from my window. :D
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

A great tool for this sort of situation (as long as there's not too much noise on the recording) is a program called levelator. It does all that normalising, compressing etc in one go but it does need to work in wav format.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

kristen, Gord, Starlite, and jim

I think I've brought the file up to LV standards, and its uploading now. Levelator is astonishing, and although it didn't do the job this time, I have added it to my toolkit.

Effects/amplify really helped. Normalize & compressor seemed to produce further improvements, and the waveform certainly looks more normal. I don't know how it would have worked if I had changed the order of their application, but the file seems OK now, and I've had enough fun with this for one day.

Thank you again. Not being familiar with the terminology, I had no clue which of that long list of effects to try.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

kristen: don't be too impressed by "Elm Grove" - I'm only a retired granny living in a little condo off Bluemound Rd.
kristin

Post by kristin »

We used to be in Waukesha but bought a house in Wind Lake a couple years ago. Compared to everyone else here, we're neighbors.