How Has Your Voice Evolved Since You Joined Librivox?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I believe I've noticed a trend ... I know it applies to the time since MY first recording ... whereby readers, as they become more experienced, pitch their voices a bit deeper when they record.

I also think that, as the monthly poetry recordings mounted up, I became a lot less "afraid" of my Australian accent.

I'd be interested to know how other recording artists, both amateur and professional, believe they have evolved during their Librivox years.

Son of the Exiles
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I've slowed down - and since I'm still considered a fairly speedy reader, you can imagine what some of my earlier recordings were like!
Karen S.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

... and I've speeded up. I just listened to my first piece catalogued (The Cow, by Robert Louis Stevenson), and it's glacially slow. I'm up to almost my normal conversational speed in my recordings now.

To my ears, the actual voice quality sounds about the same.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

While being at LV my voice has changed, so that the voice you hear on my earlier recordings is a lot different from what I've done recently, I think lower. :)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:I believe I've noticed a trend ... I know it applies to the time since MY first recording ... whereby readers, as they become more experienced, pitch their voices a bit deeper when they record.

I also think that, as the monthly poetry recordings mounted up, I became a lot less "afraid" of my Australian accent.

I'd be interested to know how other recording artists, both amateur and professional, believe they have evolved during their Librivox years.

Son of the Exiles
Yes, lower and softer and closer to the mic and faster (using pauses rather than slow talking). My voice is one of the oldest on Librivox, so I have to work harder than most to sound OK and I keep trying new things.

I read all the advice I could get hold of before I started recording and took it too seriously, particularly the speaking slowly and keeping a distance from the mic to avoid pops and mouth noises. I didn't check my recordings on headphones afterwards but recently, after some critical feedback, I did. And in my early recordings I was mooing away like a husky cow using a loud speaker to address a gathering of the herds. It amplified the Australian accent too.

I'm still evolving.

Best,

Barbara
J_N

Post by J_N »

In general, as we age our voices get lower... I think this is especially true for female voices... they also tend to get softer when we get really old ;)

I think I am still a fairly fast reader (at least in German), but am more aware now, and try to go a bit slower... I am not considered a fast talker in everyday life, though (not slow either, just normal)... It's really odd... :hmm: I wonder if it is a German/Austrian thing... :hmm:

anything else, I think, is down to getting used to my own voice... 8-)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I don't know about the physiology of my voice changing, but my real life delivery has changed. Earlier this year I saw a friend who I'd not seen for two years, and she asked if I'd had elocution lessons since we'd last met.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

I've consciously tried to get the harsh, "a" sound out of my voice, which was particularly grating to me in the way the word "grass" would screech in the recordings. And sometimes now I modify the "r" sound that comes from my Washington State accent (Washington pronounced "Waarshington.")
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I really must listen to some of your recordings to see if I can get a lock on the Pacific Northwest accent. A recent Banjo Paterson recording I did featured an American character, the voice part for which I provided was, I gather, "Indeterminate Southern". :D

I must say, the old Fort Laramie radio shows are great for people trying to do regional US accents.

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

I don't know if my voice has, but my audio editing skills have improved so I can *make* my voice sound better!