[GAME]What book is that?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Pollyanna :D
This is the story of the great war that [...] fought single-handed, through the bath-rooms of the big bungalow...
(The name would totally give everything away :lol:)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi?
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

EstherbenSimonides wrote:Rikki-Tikki-Tavi?
If I were in a pedantic mood the book is called the Jungle Book - but I'm not in a pedantic mood :D

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
That's gotta be Shakespeare! Looking up.... Yep, Julius Caesar!

Here's mine, from the LV book I'm listening to right now! :9:
I tries to live elsewhere. And I’m a vagabond. To jail with him! I comes back here. I goes a-nutting in your woods, and breaks—who don’t?—a limber branch or two. To jail with him! One of your keepers sees me in the broad day, near my own patch of garden, with a gun. To jail with him! I has a nat’ral angry word with that man, when I’m free again. To jail with him! I cuts a stick. To jail with him! I eats a rotten apple or a turnip. To jail with him! It’s twenty mile away; and coming back I begs a trifle on the road. To jail with him! At last, the constable, the keeper—anybody—finds me anywhere, a-doing anything. To jail with him, for he’s a vagrant, and a jail-bird known; and jail’s the only home he’s got.’

The Alderman nodded sagaciously, as who should say, ‘A very good home too!’
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I know who you are listening to, and who wrote it but that's as much as I can remember - over to someone else :D
Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, I'll give you all a clue: it's a Dickens book, read by RuthieG in the LV catalogue.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've remembered - it was the Chimes .
Having had some time at my disposal when in London, I had visited the British Museum, and made search among the books and maps in the library regarding Transylvania; it had struck me that some foreknowledge of the country could hardly fail to have some importance in dealing with a nobleman of that country.
Anne
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I'm guessing Dracula?
Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have known that trouble was brewing, not alone for himself, but for every tide-water dog, strong of muscle and with warm, long hair, from Puget Sound to San Diego. Because men, groping in the Arctic darkness, had found a yellow metal, and because steamship and transportation companies were booming the find, thousands of men were rushing into the Northland. These men wanted dogs, and the dogs they wanted were heavy dogs, with strong muscles by which to toil, and furry coats to protect them from the frost.
So little space, so much to say.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Call of the Wild?
LETTER I

LADY HOWARD TO THE REV. MR. VILLARS Howard Grove, Kent.

CAN any thing, my good Sir, be more painful to a friendly mind, than a necessity of communicating disagreeable intelligence? Indeed it is sometimes difficult to determine, whether the relator or the receiver of evil tidings is most to be pitied.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

It's "Evelina"! Took me ages to find out, but I knew it rang a bell somewhere! :lol:
"My beloved Laura (said she to me a few hours before she died) take warning from my unhappy end and avoid the imprudent conduct which had occasioned it... Beware of fainting-fits... Though at the time they may be refreshing and agreable yet believe me they will in the end, if too often repeated and at improper seasons, prove destructive to your constitution... My fate will teach you this... I die a Martyr to my grief for the loss of Augustus... One fatal swoon has cost me my Life... Beware of swoons Dear Laura... A frenzy fit is not one quarter so pernicious; it is an exercise to the body and if not too violent, is I dare say conducive to health in its consequences—Run mad as often as you chuse; but do not faint—"
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Here is an easy one:
"TOM!"

No answer.

The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the room; then she put them up and looked out under them.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Tom Sawyer?
carteki

Post by carteki »

"What may this mean
That thou, dead corse, again in complete steel,
Revisits thus the glimpses of the moon,
Making night hideous, and we fools of nature
So horridly to shake our disposition
With thoughts beyond the reaches of our souls?"
carteki

Post by carteki »

Elizabby wrote:It's "Evelina"! Took me ages to find out, but I knew it rang a bell somewhere! :lol:
"My beloved Laura (said she to me a few hours before she died) take warning from my unhappy end and avoid the imprudent conduct which had occasioned it... Beware of fainting-fits... Though at the time they may be refreshing and agreable yet believe me they will in the end, if too often repeated and at improper seasons, prove destructive to your constitution... My fate will teach you this... I die a Martyr to my grief for the loss of Augustus... One fatal swoon has cost me my Life... Beware of swoons Dear Laura... A frenzy fit is not one quarter so pernicious; it is an exercise to the body and if not too violent, is I dare say conducive to health in its consequences—Run mad as often as you chuse; but do not faint—"
Julius Caesar by Shakespeare?