Silly question Friday---Glasses for computers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Some two decades ago, before I built and occupied my Fortress of Solitude, I met someone who claimed to have glasses made especially for his computer use. Is there such a thing still? Is it a worthwhile purchase.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

KevinS wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:40 am Some two decades ago, before I built and occupied my Fortress of Solitude, I met someone who claimed to have glasses made especially for his computer use. Is there such a thing still? Is it a worthwhile purchase.
Yes, there is such a thing. An emphatic YES! for is it a worthwhile purchase. I have a pair. Normally I wear multi-focals and it is difficult to get my head at the correct angle to see through the part of the lens that makes the monitor clearly focused. My computer glasses are single vision especially prescribed for the distance I sit from my screen. I can move my head around and still focus through any part of the lens. Also, they are MUCH better than they were 20 years ago. They have a special filter to ease eye strain from the light of your monitor. So even if you don't normally wear multi-focals they are well worth the price. IMHO, of course.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Darvinia wrote: October 25th, 2019, 10:41 am
KevinS wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:40 am Some two decades ago, before I built and occupied my Fortress of Solitude, I met someone who claimed to have glasses made especially for his computer use. Is there such a thing still? Is it a worthwhile purchase.
Yes, there is such a thing. An emphatic YES! for is it a worthwhile purchase. I have a pair. Normally I wear multi-focals and it is difficult to get my head at the correct angle to see through the part of the lens that makes the monitor clearly focused. My computer glasses are single vision especially prescribed for the distance I sit from my screen. I can move my head around and still focus through any part of the lens. Also, they are MUCH better than they were 20 years ago. They have a special filter to ease eye strain from the light of your monitor. So even if you don't normally wear multi-focals they are well worth the price. IMHO, of course.
Thank you. All good to know! I will inquire at the optician's shop.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Silly answer
my computer doesn't wear glasses .... [ smilie showing me hiding behind the sofa to dodge thrown missiles]

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: October 25th, 2019, 2:07 pm Silly answer
my computer doesn't wear glasses .... [ smilie showing me hiding behind the sofa to dodge thrown missiles]

Anne
Hahaha! That's great!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Do you know, I think I've positively started to look forward to Silly Question Fridays? :lol:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

mightyfelix wrote: October 25th, 2019, 6:36 pm Do you know, I think I've positively started to look forward to Silly Question Fridays? :lol:
We should make this routine

Anne
I saw this and couldn't stop laughing! :lol:

I have a silly question for you Kevin, but who is Friday?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

my computer doesn't wear glasses ....
But do you remember lenses in front of early TV screens? Lenses made of clear plastic, you'd fill it with water to make a loupe... No? Of course nowadays monitors are large enough, and/or you can sit very close to them...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tovarisch wrote: October 26th, 2019, 5:43 am
my computer doesn't wear glasses ....
But do you remember lenses in front of early TV screens? Lenses made of clear plastic, you'd fill it with water to make a loupe... No? Of course nowadays monitors are large enough, and/or you can sit very close to them...
By gosh, you are right!
linny

Post by linny »

My computer glasses are bifocals. The upper portion for the exact length to the monitors (you have to let them know at your eye exam or what you get may be worthless). The bottom portion so I can see the keyboard or papers on my desk.

Definitely has made a difference for me.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: October 30th, 2019, 12:13 pm My computer glasses are bifocals. The upper portion for the exact length to the monitors (you have to let them know at your eye exam or what you get may be worthless). The bottom portion so I can see the keyboard or papers on my desk.

Definitely has made a difference for me.
Hahaha! I wanted to get glasses by mail! (I am very foolish.)
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: October 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm Hahaha! I wanted to get glasses by mail! (I am very foolish.)
You'll still need the prescription. :wink:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I got computer glasses a few years ago when I noticed signs of eye strain (I work on a computer for hours most days). Mine are single-vision glasses focused at monitor distance, like Darvinia's. They made a big difference right away even though they don't have a special light filter. Later on I started wearing progressive (multifocal) lenses for everything else, but I still use my single-vision glasses for computer work. I would guess that whether single-vision or bifocal/multifocal lenses work better for the computer probably depends on individual eyesight and personal preference. I can see things on my desk fine through my computer glasses, but I have a hard time getting the monitor in focus with my progressives.
Laurie Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

chocoholic wrote: October 31st, 2019, 9:49 am I got computer glasses a few years ago when I noticed signs of eye strain (I work on a computer for hours most days). Mine are single-vision glasses focused at monitor distance, like Darvinia's. They made a big difference right away even though they don't have a special light filter. Later on I started wearing progressive (multifocal) lenses for everything else, but I still use my single-vision glasses for computer work. I would guess that whether single-vision or bifocal/multifocal lenses work better for the computer probably depends on individual eyesight and personal preference. I can see things on my desk fine through my computer glasses, but I have a hard time getting the monitor in focus with my progressives.
I'm grateful for your comments. I, too, think I need the single-vision lens. I just need to get all the measurements done. (I really am something of a hermit.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Okay, I have my computer glasses now. They are going to take some time to get used to, I think. Cross your fingers.