Length of recordings

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I just stumbled upon this question, because I have some longer sections coming up in some of my projects and I thought "what if I record and find out I only have certain time limit?"

My question is this

[*]Is there a time limit for how long you can record for? (not for the recording software, but how long will archive let a recording be?)

Thanks
Elijah
Foon

Post by Foon »

I don't think that Archive has any length restrictions, but ideally sections are kept below 74 minutes, so that listeners could burn them to audio CDs if they want.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
wynarc

Post by wynarc »

any tips on how you record a longer piece of litterature?

1- ive only recorded short poetry so far, thats been succesfull but i was wondering how on earth anyone can record for a longer period of time.
-do you record small chunks at a time?
- whats a normal reading time limit before you need a break/drink...whatever, or even need to swallow :shock: .....?

any tips would be nice before i embark on a longer story/poem/fairy tale

Wyn
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I bring a drink with me. I read maybe 5 to 10 minutes, then take a drink (while the recording's still going). I cut out the silence later. I can generally read for about 60 minutes (with taking drinks) before I'm done, but everybody has their own time frame. You could also start with shorter chapters, you can look at the word counts, many BCs put those in, and choose a shorter chapter to help you bridge the gap. I also do many short works, but longer chapters are fun too! Hope this helps!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I generally record all in one sitting, if I can help it. That way the conditions (mic placement, sound of my voice, etc.) are constant. After about 40 minutes of recording, my voice gets tired, but I can usually finish up whatever I'm recording without too much trouble. Some people do vocal warmups before recording. I've never gotten into that.

I also have a drink nearby, but I usually pause the recording when drinking, have to answer a phone call, or when having a prolonged sneeze or cough attack. I figure that's less to cut out later. ;) However, don't forget to un-pause the recording when you start up again! Loud swallows or other sounds, I just cut out when editing.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
wynarc

Post by wynarc »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 7th, 2019, 11:59 am I bring a drink with me. I read maybe 5 to 10 minutes, then take a drink (while the recording's still going). I cut out the silence later. I can generally read for about 60 minutes (with taking drinks) before I'm done, but everybody has their own time frame. You could also start with shorter chapters, you can look at the word counts, many BCs put those in, and choose a shorter chapter to help you bridge the gap. I also do many short works, but longer chapters are fun too! Hope this helps!
:thumbs: thanks
wynarc

Post by wynarc »

TriciaG wrote: March 7th, 2019, 12:06 pm I generally record all in one sitting, if I can help it. That way the conditions (mic placement, sound of my voice, etc.) are constant. After about 40 minutes of recording, my voice gets tired, but I can usually finish up whatever I'm recording without too much trouble. Some people do vocal warmups before recording. I've never gotten into that.

I also have a drink nearby, but I usually pause the recording when drinking, have to answer a phone call, or when having a prolonged sneeze or cough attack. I figure that's less to cut out later. ;) However, don't forget to un-pause the recording when you start up again! Loud swallows or other sounds, I just cut out when editing.
thanks for the tips :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

There was one time I just read straight for 53 minutes with errors included. My voice did get tired, and I didn't drink any water while doing it (not trying to brag as you will see), but that was not a good idea. I didn't stand up once, and I had my legs crossed, so when I stood up there was horrible tingling, and then when I tried speaking for the next hour, my throat hurt so bad. I should have paused and drank some water too, that would have helped.
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

I can usually manage 45 minutes at a time, but that includes pauses to take a drink. I like the idea of pausing for a few calming breaths. I tend to plow ahead when I am having issues, and they keep coming faster. A pause and re-group might be the right thing, rather than mutter to myself and keep making errors.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I have trouble keeping my voice going for more than twenty minutes or so ... I get rough and croaky. But I can usually match up the sound of my voice when I restart; if I can't, I try again at a different time of day.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger