COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 092 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

mitteldorf wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 5:29 pm I have reposted William James Ingersoll Lecture on Human Immortality, recorded at 128/44.1 instead of 192/48.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf092_humanimmortality_james_jjm_128kb.mp3
Hi there! Thanks so much posting your revised recording; it is now PL OK! :thumbs:
showard

Post by showard »

Hello!
I would like to add the State of the Union Address of 1817 by James Monroe to the collection! Here is the info:
Title: State of the Union Address of December 12, 1817
Author: James Monroe
Link to recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf092_sotu1817_monroe_sh_128kb.mp3
URL link to source: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/5014/5014-h/5014-h.htm#dec1817
Length: 27 minutes 14 seconds
Name as I'd like it to appear: showard

This is my first ever recording for Librivox. I would love to hear some constructive criticism. I feel that overall it is a decent recording (the older style of English and constructing sentences was 100% a challenge) but I would like more guidance on improving the quality of my voice, cadence, and doing edits properly. I struggled a lot with re-recording a couple portions due to errors and making them sound relatively similar, but noise reduction seems to have helped at least somewhat.
Please let me know any edits you need from me, and if the whole thing is not up to par I would be okay with taking another shot at recording! Long term I am hoping to be able to record most of the pre-1927 State of the Unions and other important historical addresses as making history more accessible is a passion! Thank you for your time and help :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sue Anderson wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 11:35 am The Day the Piano Went up the Hill
by Dennis M. Knobloch, Former Mayor, Valmeyer, Illinois
~~~ ~~~I'm looking for someone to PL this for me, since as DPL of the SNF Collection, I can't very well PL my own work.
PL OK!

That was really well written - and well read too, of course! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Availle wrote: June 27th, 2022, 7:39 am
Sue Anderson wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 11:35 am The Day the Piano Went up the Hill
~~~ ~~~I'm looking for someone to PL this for me, since as DPL of the SNF Collection, I can't very well PL my own work.
PL OK!

I have a friend who is from Valmeyer. I'll send him the link to this when this collection is completed.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

PL OK!

Thanks for listening, Availle! Yes, it was very well written. I really felt for those residents of Valmeyer. I live in Illinois, so maybe one of these times, I'll drive down and see the new Valmeyer. I'd like to see it.

I'll add this, that I used to work in an insurance office and dealt with FEMA's flood maps. The home sellers and buyers I dealt with often acted just like Mr. Knobloch did at first, they tried to "get around" FEMA instead of taking seriously the idea that if FEMA said their house was in a flood zone, it WAS in a flood zone!
Last edited by Sue Anderson on June 27th, 2022, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MaryinArkansas wrote: June 27th, 2022, 8:00 am
PL OK!

I have a friend who is from Valmeyer. I'll send him the link to this when this collection is completed.
That would be great, Mary! If your friend knows Mr. Knobloch, please have your friend tell Mr. Knobloch that I was moved by what he wrote and was pleased to add his essay to the LibriVox catalog!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Sue Anderson wrote: June 27th, 2022, 8:49 am
MaryinArkansas wrote: June 27th, 2022, 8:00 am
PL OK!

That would be great, Mary! If your friend knows Mr. Knobloch, please have your friend tell Mr. Knobloch that I was moved by what he wrote and was pleased to add his essay to the LibriVox catalog!
It’s quite possible he knows him. My friend’s late, twin brother was a fireman and EMT in Valmeyer.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

showard wrote: June 26th, 2022, 8:37 pm Hello!
I would like to add the State of the Union Address of 1817 by James Monroe to the collection! Here is the info:
Link to recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf092_sotu1817_monroe_sh_128kb.mp3
URL link to source: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/5014/5014-h/5014-h.htm#dec1817

This is my first ever recording for Librivox. I would love to hear some constructive criticism. I feel that overall it is a decent recording (the older style of English and constructing sentences was 100% a challenge) but I would like more guidance on improving the quality of my voice, cadence, and doing edits properly. I struggled a lot with re-recording a couple portions due to errors and making them sound relatively similar, but noise reduction seems to have helped at least somewhat.
Please let me know any edits you need from me, and if the whole thing is not up to par I would be okay with taking another shot at recording! Long term I am hoping to be able to record most of the pre-1927 State of the Unions and other important historical addresses as making history more accessible is a passion! Thank you for your time and help :D
Hi Showard,

Welcome to LibriVox and the the Short Nonfiction Collection! :) Choosing a historic State of the Union address for your first read was a great choice, and overall you read it very well. Your diction was clear, and your pacing was too. :)

What I found interesting in listening to Monroe's remarks was the insight they provided into the prevalent attitudes toward the Indian tribes and westward expansion in 1817.

"The hunter state can exist only in the vast uncultivated desert. It yields to the more dense and compact form and greater force of civilized population; and of right it ought to yield, for the earth was given to mankind to support the greatest number of which it is capable, and no tribe or people have a right to withhold from the wants of others more than is necessary for their own support and comfort." James Monroe, 1817

I sympathize with your struggle in blending re-recorded edits into your original recording. It's never simple, but it gets easier with practice. What works best for me is to always do the first edit of a recording right after I record it, same day, same set up etc. As you've found out, your voice can change from day to day.

One internet source I Like for founding documents from U.S. history is the U.S. National Archives' "Founders Online" site. Here is a link: https://founders.archives.gov/about

Your first recording is PL OK! :thumbs:
showard

Post by showard »

Sue Anderson wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:24 am
showard wrote: June 26th, 2022, 8:37 pm Hello!
Link to recording:

Hi Showard,

Welcome to LibriVox and the the Short Nonfiction Collection! :) Choosing a historic State of the Union address for your first read was a great choice, and overall you read it very well. Your diction was clear, and your pacing was too. :)

What I found interesting in listening to Monroe's remarks was the insight they provided into the prevalent attitudes toward the Indian tribes and westward expansion in 1817.

"The hunter state can exist only in the vast uncultivated desert. It yields to the more dense and compact form and greater force of civilized population; and of right it ought to yield, for the earth was given to mankind to support the greatest number of which it is capable, and no tribe or people have a right to withhold from the wants of others more than is necessary for their own support and comfort." James Monroe, 1817

I sympathize with your struggle in blending re-recorded edits into your original recording. It's never simple, but it gets easier with practice. What works best for me is to always do the first edit of a recording right after I record it, same day, same set up etc. As you've found out, your voice can change from day to day.

One internet source I Like for founding documents from U.S. history is the U.S. National Archives' "Founders Online" site. Here is a link: https://founders.archives.gov/about

Your first recording is PL OK! :thumbs:
Hi Sue! Awesome!! I let out a very loud celebratory noise at work! :lol: Thank you for the helpful tip on editing. I'll definitely make sure to record when I have enough time to go through and do edits the same day.
I thought the whole speech was an interesting (and somewhat disturbing) look at how much has stayed the same. The comments on indigenous groups having to "yield" and claiming that the cessions of land were just as beneficial to them as the United States already shows the justifications and re-writing of history that many repeat today. I also found it sad to see that not taking care of working class veterans was a feature of the country even back then. And the clear focus of foreign policy being 'how much money can we make?' seems to have stayed consistent.. :hmm:

I'll check out Founders Online a little more too, at first glance the other day it looked like an amazing resource!
Thanks again for listening, hopefully I'll have the next address for 1818 ready before this volume is complete!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi showard. Welcome to LibriVox. One of the best things is the opportunity to record things you enjoy or are passionate about. I just want to point out that we have an extensive collection of State of the Union addresses already in the catalog.

https://librivox.org/group/607
Jo
showard

Post by showard »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:50 pm Hi showard. Welcome to LibriVox. One of the best things is the opportunity to record things you enjoy or are passionate about. I just want to point out that we have an extensive collection of State of the Union addresses already in the catalog.

Ah I see! When I first did my search for if it had already been recorded, I wasn't too familiar with the search engine. I see the collection now, I'll find some other works to record then! Would the recording I made still be cataloged or no? Either way is fine, just not sure what the rules are for duplicate recordings!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes, absolutely, your submission to this collection will be cataloged. Multiple versions are not a problem - we call it choice of voice. I only pointed out the existing recordings in case you would rather record something that isn't already available. That doesn't mean you can't record your own versions. I've lost count of the number of recordings of Lincoln's Gettysburg address we have, for example.
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

showard wrote: June 27th, 2022, 3:23 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:50 pm Hi showard. Welcome to LibriVox. One of the best things is the opportunity to record things you enjoy or are passionate about. I just want to point out that we have an extensive collection of State of the Union addresses already in the catalog.

Ah I see! When I first did my search for if it had already been recorded, I wasn't too familiar with the search engine. I see the collection now, I'll find some other works to record then! Would the recording I made still be cataloged or no? Either way is fine, just not sure what the rules are for duplicate recordings!
Hi again, showard,

The way I look at the idea of duplicate recordings is this; LibriVox has now been an entity for 17 years; that's a long time, a whole human generation in lived life. The foundational readings (such as Presidential State of the Union speeches) that were new and exciting to that first group of LibriVoxers, are new and exciting to a new group of readers, and they will be new and exciting 17 years from now to yet other readers. As Jo, our metacoordinator for the Short Nonfiction Collection (SNF) points out, there are NO RESTRICTIONS on duplicate readings for the SNF, or elsewhere at Librivox. One of the most attractive features of Librivox is that we can read what interests us personally!

Showard, I sensed your excitement and your sense of discovery in your recording of James Madison's address. The State of the Union Speeches are "nuggets of history" that bring sharp focus on the issues and concerns of our nation at specific points in time. As historical documents, they are revealing. You should feel free to read as many of these speeches for Librivox as you want to.

I think that what Jo wanted to make clear is that your recording will be one of possibly several versions of Madison's speech. There are some readers who prefer to record things that are new to the catalog. I think that when you're just starting to record, the issue of whether it's been read before or not should not be a major concern. What you'll want to focus on is getting comfortable with recording in general. Sometimes, also, it's interesting to listen to one or more of the other renditions of what you are recording; to see how fast the speech was read, for instance, or how certain names and/or words were pronounced.

In any case, be assured that your recording will be included in vol. 092 of the SNF! :D

Best wishes,
Sue Anderson, Book Coordinator, Short Nonfiction Collection
showard

Post by showard »

Sue Anderson wrote: June 27th, 2022, 6:38 pm
showard wrote: June 27th, 2022, 3:23 pm

Hi again, showard,

The way I look at the idea of duplicate recordings is this; LibriVox has now been an entity for 17 years; that's a long time, a whole human generation in lived life. The foundational readings (such as Presidential State of the Union speeches) that were new and exciting to that first group of LibriVoxers, are new and exciting to a new group of readers, and they will be new and exciting 17 years from now to yet other readers. As Jo, our metacoordinator for the Short Nonfiction Collection (SNF) points out, there are NO RESTRICTIONS on duplicate readings for the SNF, or elsewhere at Librivox. One of the most attractive features of Librivox is that we can read what interests us personally!

Showard, I sensed your excitement and your sense of discovery in your recording of James Madison's address. The State of the Union Speeches are "nuggets of history" that bring sharp focus on the issues and concerns of our nation at specific points in time. As historical documents, they are revealing. You should feel free to read as many of these speeches for Librivox as you want to.

I think that what Jo wanted to make clear is that your recording will be one of possibly several versions of Madison's speech. There are some readers who prefer to record things that are new to the catalog. I think that when you're just starting to record, the issue of whether it's been read before or not should not be a major concern. What you'll want to focus on is getting comfortable with recording in general. Sometimes, also, it's interesting to listen to one or more of the other renditions of what you are recording; to see how fast the speech was read, for instance, or how certain names and/or words were pronounced.

In any case, be assured that your recording will be included in vol. 092 of the SNF! :D

Best wishes,
Sue Anderson, Book Coordinator, Short Nonfiction Collection
Both of your comments are so kind and helpful! I think it's nice that Librivox allows multiple version. All of us bring our own experiences to the reading, so having multiple voices that listeners can hear through is great.
I definitely lean towards recording new, but I'm sure there will be several works that I've wanted to record that have already had version(s) made! Like you said, Sue, mostly focused on learning the ropes :D
showard

Post by showard »

Quick question, I am looking at this work: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/24676/24676-h/24676-h.htm as a potential second contribution but it is obviously too long to record in one sitting for this collection. Is it allowed to record a few chapters (I was thinking I-IV) for part of this collection and then make separate recordings for future collections?
Or is that more of a thing for solo/group readings?
Thanks!! :D