COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 061 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi
This is AA Milne, the essay-est. (Spellcheck says this is the correct word.)

A Word For Autumn
By Alan Alexander Milne
Read by Dale Grothmann
Timer 6:51

Gutenberg File-
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38280/38280-h/38280-h.htm#A_WORD_FOR_AUTUMN

Librivox file
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf061_wordforautumn_aamilne_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale
soupy

Post by soupy »

A Word For Autumn is PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks Dale

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hello leightongarner thanks for uploading the Spurgeon sermon :D

The project you used is the Short NonFiction Collection and your recording is welcome here. I saved section 15 for you.

However there are a few things we need to use your recording.

The file format should be in this style

Your file was uploaded to a different project. It must be uploaded to this project and use our file format. snf061_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb.mp3

It would look like this for your file
snf061_carnalmind_spurgeon_lg_128kb.mp3
you can just change the information in your file and upload it again.

Go to page one of this project and use the uploader (number 3) to upoad the file and add the new file to the project as you just did.

Please add a link to the source you read from and the length of the file.

Use this format when you resubmit.
The Carnal Mind is Enmity Against God
Spurgeon
The link to your file you copied from the uploader.
A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL)
Length of the file

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hello Leightongarner,

Welcome to LibriVox, and welcome to the Nonfiction Collection. Please, before you upload any new sermons by Spurgeon, let's get one sermon entered into the system with all the necessary information our Dedicated Proof Listener has pointed out to you that we need.

The information we need before we can possibly accept a recording is contained in the instructions above, numbers #3 and #4: I am repeating that information here to help you out.

Thank you,
Sue Anderson (Book Coordinator)

3. UPLOAD your recording:
Please upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader: http://librivox.org/login/uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy and post to the current nonfiction thread. If you don't post the fact that you've uploaded your recording, the nonfiction book coordinator won't know that you did it!
If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin.
To upload, you'll need to select the MC, which for the Short Nonfiction Collection is: knotyouraveragejo
If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page

4. POST the following information in this thread:
Title of the work.
Author of the work.
The link to your file you copied from the uploader.
A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL). NOTE: If posting from Gutenberg, please provide the link to the download page, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/# (where # is the Gutenberg project number for the book).
Length in minutes.
If this is your first Librivox recording, we will also need your name as you would like it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and, if you have a web page and want it linked to your name in the catalog, the URL of the web page.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Availle wrote: November 26th, 2018, 5:09 pm As promised, cute and sweet, or actually: short and sweet. And suitable for the season too!

Snow Pudding and Chocolate Sauce

from Chocolate and Cocoa Recipes by Miss Parloa (already in catalog)

2:46
Delicious! Thank you, Availle! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Grothmann wrote: November 27th, 2018, 12:02 am Hi
This is AA Milne, the essay-est. (Spellcheck says this is the correct word.)

A Word For Autumn
By Alan Alexander Milne
Read by Dale Grothmann
Timer 6:51

Thanks
Dale
Thanks, Dale! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

leightongarner wrote: December 1st, 2018, 2:05 am Hello, my name is Leighton Garner. I have been recording classic books and sermons for Christian Classic Ethereal Library (www.ccel.org) for several years, but now I want to bring some of those recording here to LibriVox as well as record new sermons by Charles Spurgeon.
Hi again Leighton, I just finished listening to a few minutes of the sermon by C. H. Spurgeon, which you recorded, and which has found it's way to the Nonfiction Collection, and I am going to make a few remarks, which I hope will be helpful to you in recording for LibriVox.

First off, you have an excellent recording voice. Your reading is very clear, nicely paced and certainly brings Spurgeon's words alive for the listener. Bravo, here, on all accounts. :) :)

Secondly, the reason the sermon was transferred to the Nonfiction Collection from the thread to which you origially uploaded it (Faces in the Fire) is that that thread is author-specific to that one book by Frank W. Boreham, and so it cannot include your readings from Spurgeon. Since you have several sermons by Spurgeon you want to share, once you understand LibriVox a little better, you might consider a solo project which would be "Selected Sermons of C. H. Spurgeon."

Next, and this is very important, any readings submitted to LibriVox must be read from sources that are in the public domain (i.e. the original text, a text published prior to 1923). We do not accept readings which have been "updated" from the original text by modernizing words (using "opiate" for "laudanum" for instance). Neither do we allow updated texts which eliminate words or passages that modern listeners might consider "offensive" or out of date.

Here is a public domain source for the sermon you read: https://archive.org/details/sermonsofrevchsp01spur/page/229

From listening to the first 15 minutes of your recording, and comparing it to the first edition of the sermon cited above, I have to conclude that the text you read from is an updated one and therefore not in the public domain. The substitution of the word "opiate" for "laudanum" is one reason I say this. Another reason is that your reading skips a paragraph which will be found on page 234-235 of the PD source which begins "And did not that suffice, I would point you to the delusions of the heathen."

It should not be difficult for you to revise your reading to conform to the public domain source, but we cannot accept it until it is. Our dedicated proof listener will be proofing the recording against the original public domain source.

I think once you understand a little more how LibriVox works, you will find it an excellent venue to bring the sermons of Spurgeon to an eager audience. As Book Coordinator, it is my task to help you achieve that goal here at the Nonfiction Collection. Please feel free to post any questions you may have.

I am sending you a PM (a private message e-mail) with the same information as this post.
leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

leightongarner wrote: December 5th, 2018, 4:23 pm Sermon # 20 The Carnal Mind, Emnity Against God
Charles Spurgeon
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf061_carnalmind_spurgeon_lg_128kb.mp3.mp3
https://archive.org/details/sermonsofrevchsp01spur/page/230
46:14 Minutes
Leighton Garner
Hi Leighton, Thank you for your contribution to Vol. 61! :) Since this will be your first contribution to LibriVox, would you please tell us, by posting a note in this thread, how you would like your name to appear in the LibriVox catalog. For instance you might want to capitalize and separate your first and last names (Leighton Garner) for the catalog.. Also, if you have a web page and want it linked to your name in the catalog, please give us the URL for that page.

The next step is for our DPL (dedicated proof listener) Craig to PL (proof listen) your recording.

Craig, it is ok for you to start PLing while we wait for Leighton to tell us about his catalog name. Once I have that info, I will enter his forum name in the MW (magic window).
leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

Hi Sue:

Yes, please use my name like this Leighton Garner. I do have a webpage. Use this ULR: https://touchpointcommunications.com/audio.html

Let me know when I can send over the next four sermons.

Thanks,

Leighton
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

leightongarner wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:18 pm Hi Sue:

Yes, please use my name like this Leighton Garner. I do have a webpage. Use this ULR: https://touchpointcommunications.com/audio.html

Let me know when I can send over the next four sermons.

Thanks,

Leighton
Hi Leighton, Thanks for the info; your name will appear in the catalog as Leighton Garner along with your web page.
The next step will be the proof listening of this first submission. These sermons are all long recordings, so let's not rush our proof listener! Remember we're all volunteers with our time here at LibriVox!

I try to have each volume of the Nonfiction Collection represent a mix of authors and subject matter and read by a several different readers. Three long selections from one author, in this case Spurgeon, would be my absolute max for one volume. I also try to keep each volume at or about 15 recordings. At present, Vol. 61 has 15 recordings, including yours. If all goes smoothly with your first recording, I would accept one more sermon for this volume. But the other sermons will need to wait for subsequent volumes of the collection. As soon as one collection is filled and cataloged, we begin another.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the sermon from Spurgeon Leighton :thumbs:

You have a nice easy to understand reading voice. I listened and have noted a few errors.

4:52 when our bodies were fashioned by God. The fleshly mind, the phromena sarkos, the lusts, the passions of the soul - -- forgot to read – the fleshly mind p. 232

8:36 It may be that I might move your souls to detestation – you read destination

11:30 Who shall deliver me from this body of death? Bottom of page 235 – reread previous paragraph from A further argument – ends at 12:50 and then you begin the next paragraph.

17:23 – Observe then, first of all the universality of this as to all persons. You read universiality again at 22:30 and 24:29 -- you can change these if you want - https://www.google.com/search?q=universality&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

27:13 – He sees things he had not dreamed of even in the shade of night. You read dreamed or even in the shade

27:59 So might I accuse the conscience, and tell you how blind it is, and how it winks at the greatest follies. – you forgot to read and tell you how blind it is –

30:12 Yet the apostle doth confess, that concupiscence and lust hath of itself the nature of sin. Mispronounced concupiscence https://www.google.com/search?q=concupiscence&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

32:15 What is God to us? He is the Creator of the heavens and the earth – you read Is he the Creator …

36:47 should probably read fourthly – since we’ve hear of three points already – bottom of page 247

39:10 How necessary then it is that our nature should be changed! You read How necessary then is it that our natures should be changed.

42:18 reread the previous paragraph bottom of page 249 beginning with And to conclude to 43:43

45:44 Venture on him, venture wholly, Let no other trust intrude; None but Jesus can do helpless sinners good. You read None but Jesus kind but loving can do helpless sinners good.

It was a long recording and you did well. Let me know if you have any questions :)

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

Hi Soupy:

I have to say, I am impressed that someone actually listens to the whole thing and finds things to correct. It is a totally different experience from what I had when recording for CCEL.org. They just put the recording up on the site.

I will get these issues resolved by the end of the weekend or sooner. After I fix these do I just upload the sermon again as I did before?

Thanks,

Leighton
soupy

Post by soupy »

Yes Leighton, Librivox has standards for prooflistening. :D

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening

I like reading along while listening to the recording because I wouldn't feel right just listening. I would find it hard to keep my attention.

You can make corrections and upload the file in the same way you did to the same place and it will replace the recording as long as the file name is the same.

I will spot check the recording and let you know how you did. We find it works best if you replace whole sentences or fragments that stand alone than one word.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge