National strategy for pandemic influenza: implementation plan.

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It's actually rather interesting. From 2006.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/005228833
ej400

Post by ej400 »

KevinS wrote: March 14th, 2020, 4:39 pm It's actually rather interesting. From 2006.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/005228833
I thought this was going to be some speech about Coronavirus :lol:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Elijah, you may be too young to remember the so-called Swine Flu.
msfry

Post by msfry »

A timely project, just not sure it is up to date.

In December 2006, Congress passed and the President G. W. Bush signed the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act (PAHPA), after Katrina, this link has lots of other links of interest:
http://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/legal/pahpa/pages/default.aspx

I heard there was 2 billion funded a few years back, to have us prepared for influenza outbreaks of huge proportions, but I can't find any mention of it online.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

3.8 billion!

"On November 1, 2005, [President Bush] announced the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza, a comprehensive approach to addressing the threat of pandemic influenza. Our Strategy outlines how we are preparing for, and how we will detect and respond to, a potential pandemic.

"Since then, our Nation has taken a series of historic steps to address the pandemic threat. In December, the Congress appropriated $3.8 billion. The International Partnership for Avian and Pandemic Influenza, which we launched at the United Nations in September 2005, has encouraged openness and coordinated action by the international community. Here at home, we have made major investments in vaccine and antiviral development, research into the influenza virus, surveillance for disease in animals and humans, and the local, State, and Federal infrastructure necessary to respond to a pandemic. By making these critical investments, the Federal Government has begun strengthening our ability to safeguard the American people in the event of a devastating global pandemic and helping to prepare the Nation's public health and medical infrastructure."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I looked up the budget for the particular department concerned and found this: ASPR is funded through appropriations to the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund. The Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 budget request is $2.6 billion, which is $26 million above the FY 2019 enacted budget.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Last I heard, Trump upped that request to over 6 billion, and some are furious that it is too little, too late. Maybe I heard wrong. Maybe it was 2.6 billion.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:24 am Last I heard, Trump upped that request to over 6 billion, and some are furious that it is too little, too late. Maybe I heard wrong. Maybe it was 2.6 billion.
I wouldn't doubt that more money was allocated. I wonder where it all goes...
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: March 16th, 2020, 12:14 pm
msfry wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:24 am Last I heard, Trump upped that request to over 6 billion, and some are furious that it is too little, too late. Maybe I heard wrong. Maybe it was 2.6 billion.
I wouldn't doubt that more money was allocated. I wonder where it all goes...
I wonder where it all comes from!!!