Amurath to Amurath, by Gertrude Bell - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have sections 10 and 11?
Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Cbteddy wrote: April 21st, 2024, 6:21 am May I have sections 10 and 11?
Sure
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hoping someone can please tell me what this currency should be read as? £T15

I'm thinking the first symbol is for pounds sterling, but I'm unsure of the T. Google has not been any help :(
Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Cbteddy wrote: May 16th, 2024, 4:37 pm Hoping someone can please tell me what this currency should be read as? £T15

I'm thinking the first symbol is for pounds sterling, but I'm unsure of the T. Google has not been any help :(
£ is definitely the pound sign, but no idea about the T.

The only reference I can find is that it refers to Darius The Great… but as his dates appear to have been 522-486 BCE I’m not sure how that is applicable :hmm:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Lynnet wrote: May 16th, 2024, 5:26 pm
Cbteddy wrote: May 16th, 2024, 4:37 pm Hoping someone can please tell me what this currency should be read as? £T15

£ is definitely the pound sign, but no idea about the T.

The only reference I can find is that it refers to Darius The Great… but as his dates appear to have been 522-486 BCE I’m not sure how that is applicable :hmm:
Thank you! I also saw the reference to Darius the Great, but I figured it was too long ago to be relevant.
Cheers, Claire

Come read!
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Ottoman Pounds. There is actually a definition later in the text but here is a full description from the web.

The Ottoman lira replaced the piastre (Turkish: kuruş) as the principal unit of currency in the Ottoman Empire, with the piastre continuing to circulate as a subdivision of the lira, with 100 piastres = 1 lira. The para also continued to be used, with 40 para = 1 piastre.

Until the 1930s, the Arabic script was used on Turkish coins and banknotes, with پاره for para, قروش for kuruş and ليرا for lira (تورك ليراسي for 'Turkish lira'). In European languages, the kuruş was known as the piastre, whilst the lira was known as the livre in French and the pound in English.[3] English-language publications used "£T" as the sign for the currency,[4][5] but it is unknown whether it was ever used natively.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

PaulWelford wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:11 pm

Ottoman Pounds. There is actually a definition later in the text but here is a full description from the web.

The Ottoman lira replaced the piastre (Turkish: kuruş) as the principal unit of currency in the Ottoman Empire, with the piastre continuing to circulate as a subdivision of the lira, with 100 piastres = 1 lira. The para also continued to be used, with 40 para = 1 piastre.

Until the 1930s, the Arabic script was used on Turkish coins and banknotes, with پاره for para, قروش for kuruş and ليرا for lira (تورك ليراسي for 'Turkish lira'). In European languages, the kuruş was known as the piastre, whilst the lira was known as the livre in French and the pound in English.[3] English-language publications used "£T" as the sign for the currency,[4][5] but it is unknown whether it was ever used natively.
Interesting, but how would Claire read it?
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Lynnet wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:58 pm

‘Ottoman Pounds’. As I said, it’s actually defined later in the text.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

PaulWelford wrote: May 16th, 2024, 8:18 pm
Lynnet wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:58 pm

‘Ottoman Pounds’. As I said, it’s actually defined later in the text.
Paul to the rescue. Thank you! I'll have these sections recorded this weekend :)
Cheers, Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cheers, Claire

Come read!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Thanks Claire 10 is PL OK
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »