SOLO [Guide for Catholic Young Women: Especially For Those Who Earn Their Own Living] by [Rev. George Deshon] - rr

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

Bookworm360 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 11:14 am Section 1 was beautifully read, but the volume of the recording falls outside of the target range (86-92 dB) Would you like to adjust it yourself or would you prefer assistance for this one?
Is it too quiet? How can I check before I export my audio that it's the right volume?
in the morning!
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

I uploaded a louder version, hopefully this is better.
in the morning!
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

sections 1-4 are ready for PL.
in the morning!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

mmelhart wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 3:38 pm I uploaded a louder version, hopefully this is better.
Since volume was the only note for the first section, I've used Checker to verify it. Looks like it's 87.8dB, which sits nicely in the 86-92 range we shoot for. Spot-PL: OK! :thumbs:

I've also checked just the volume on section 5, and that's right on the money too. If you find yourself waiting for feedback before you can continue recording, just let me know. I'll be happy to PL whatever needs it, until Bookworm gets back.
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

redrun wrote: November 5th, 2023, 11:22 am
mmelhart wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 3:38 pm I uploaded a louder version, hopefully this is better.
Since volume was the only note for the first section, I've used Checker to verify it. Looks like it's 87.8dB, which sits nicely in the 86-92 range we shoot for. Spot-PL: OK! :thumbs:

I've also checked just the volume on section 5, and that's right on the money too. If you find yourself waiting for feedback before you can continue recording, just let me know. I'll be happy to PL whatever needs it, until Bookworm gets back.
Thank you! I think I've figured out where the volume should be. If you want to PL you can, I have 5-10 recorded too but not edited. I'm okay with waiting as well!
in the morning!
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

sections 1-10 are uploaded!
in the morning!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

It doesn't seem that our DPL has been around for a bit, so let's keep the ball rolling. I'll start PL on sections 2-4, and we'll go from there. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Sections 2-4: All excellently read! No stumbles, mumbles or re-takes, and it was easy to follow, too.
I'm afraid we do need some adjustments to the silences, though. We need between a half second and a whole second at the beginning, and "about" 5 seconds at the end.

Section 2:
Both silences need adjustment

Section 3:
Only the end silence needs adjustment

Section 4:
The beginning silence needs adjustment
There's also a long silence at the end, followed by some earlier takes. I know there was a bug in Audacity recently that would shuffle things around like this, so this one's not your fault! You can cut off everything after 11:26.5, and your end silence will be perfect.

I'd recommend you check through the other sections you've done so far, in case those silences also need adjustment. When you're ready for more PLing, I'll make sure someone's here to have a listen. :wink:
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

Thanks. I'll work on this!
in the morning!
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Hello mmelhart,
All technical specifications are correct; 5 and 7 are PL OK! Sections 6, 8, 9, and 10 just need 3 more seconds of silence at the end. Great reading and very instructive. :clap: My heartiest apologies for not getting to them sooner... :oops:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

Sections 2-4 are ready for Spot PL
in the morning!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

mmelhart wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:37 am Sections 2-4 are ready for Spot PL
Well, as I PL'd those to begin with, here's a spot-PL: 2 and 4 are PL OK! :thumbs:

For section 3, something other than the silences must have changed - Checker reports the average volume as 84dB, rather than the usual range of 86-92.
If you'd like, I could grab a copy of your first version, and change only that end silence.
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

redrun wrote: December 11th, 2023, 11:41 am
mmelhart wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:37 am Sections 2-4 are ready for Spot PL
Well, as I PL'd those to begin with, here's a spot-PL: 2 and 4 are PL OK! :thumbs:

For section 3, something other than the silences must have changed - Checker reports the average volume as 84dB, rather than the usual range of 86-92.
If you'd like, I could grab a copy of your first version, and change only that end silence.
that would be very helpful, i don't know how that changed.
in the morning!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Got it. Section 3 is now PL OK. :thumbs:
mmelhart

Post by mmelhart »

sections 6 and 8-10 are ready for spot PL!
in the morning!