[FULL][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

The Rhinegold Scene 1 (21:21.80) was uploaded to https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_01_wagner_128kb.mp3 and is now ready for PL.

Notes to proof listener:

Omitted the stage direction "THE THREE RHINE-MAIDENS [Together" at 16:59; I treated it as both a cue to the actors as well as a direction to the editor that the lines following it should be chorused.

Again, omitted the stage direction "THE THREE RHINE-MAIDENS [Together." at 18:34; for the same reasons.

Omitted the stage direction "[In a terribly loud voice." at 19:21 which I interpreted as a cue to the actor for delivery of the line and felt that the actor complied with that cue.
Last edited by BrianFullen on March 13th, 2024, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

The Rhinegold Scene 2 is now up at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_02_wagner_128kb.mp3 and ready for PL. It runs for 29:0.85.

Notes for proof listener:

Omitted cue to actor (opera singer and musicians really, I suppose) "WOTAN [Quickly." at 7:18.

Omitted cue "[Roughly.", at 9:53, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Harshly.", at 19:43, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[LOGE [Harshly.", at 20:02, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[With warmth.", at 20:34, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue to actor "WOTAN [More quickly." at 22:08.

Omitted cue "FREIA [Screaming.", at 22:32, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Freely, but quickly and harshly.", at 26:22, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "FRICKA [Anxiously", at 26:52, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "WOTAN [Angrily.", at 27:22, with which I feel the actor complied.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I should have The Rhinegold Scene 4 up within a few hours. Once it's up I'll start advertising under Listeners Wanted; my hope is to get this first of four plays completed soon.

I have some content in hand that I've not yet incorporated into The Valkyrie, Siegfried and The Twilight of the Gods. I also need to record Siegmund. I'll be working these tasks over the coming days (weeks?).

Cheers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

The Rhinegold Scene 4 is up and ready for PL at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_04_wagner_128kb.mp3; it runs 30:13.

Scene 4 Notes for PL:

Omitted cue "ALBERICH [With a frightful cry.", at 7:47, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Laughing.", at 10:05, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Grimly.", at 10:10, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "WOTAN [Gloomily.", at 23:54, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Very firmly, as if struck by a great thought.", at 26:37, with which I feel the actor complied.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I have posted under Proof Listeners Wanted. Cheers.
SKwanlada

Post by SKwanlada »

BrianFullen wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:16 am
SKwanlada wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:14 am
BrianFullen wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:13 am
Hi Grimgerde, Helmwige and Siegrune are the unclaimed Valkyries. Is there one in particular that you would like to claim? Or would you prefer that I pick one of them for you? Thanks, Brian
I'll take the Grimgerde one for now. Thank you!
Done and did!

Of course we are asked not to listen on MW Listen URL's for projects that are not complete. But there is a project share that has a copy of The Valkyrie - Act 3 (Partial) that you can listen to without impacting LV servers.

You don't have to listen to it before you record but you can if you wish. The partial copy currently has 4 Valkyries in it; a fifth, Rossweisse, has been recorded and PL OK'd but I have not edited that one in yet.

I won't be able to give you more than 1 Valkyrie but you could always record lines for "Vassals and Women" from The Twilight of the Gods - I could always use more voices there.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks.
Hi, I don't think I will be able to record this anymore and would like to give up my claim on the Grimgerde part of section 2. I'm sorry for any inconvenience or delay this caused!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

SKwanlada wrote: March 15th, 2024, 2:19 pm
BrianFullen wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:16 am
SKwanlada wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:14 am

I'll take the Grimgerde one for now. Thank you!
Done and did!

Of course we are asked not to listen on MW Listen URL's for projects that are not complete. But there is a project share that has a copy of The Valkyrie - Act 3 (Partial) that you can listen to without impacting LV servers.

You don't have to listen to it before you record but you can if you wish. The partial copy currently has 4 Valkyries in it; a fifth, Rossweisse, has been recorded and PL OK'd but I have not edited that one in yet.

I won't be able to give you more than 1 Valkyrie but you could always record lines for "Vassals and Women" from The Twilight of the Gods - I could always use more voices there.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks.
Hi, I don't think I will be able to record this anymore and would like to give up my claim on the Grimgerde part of section 2. I'm sorry for any inconvenience or delay this caused!
Thanks for letting me know. Cheers.
AliceStein

Post by AliceStein »

BrianFullen wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:32 pm The Rhinegold Scene 2 is now up at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_02_wagner_128kb.mp3 and ready for PL. It runs for 29:0.85.

Omitted cue to actor (opera singer and musicians really, I suppose) "WOTAN [Quickly." at 7:18.

Omitted cue "FREIA [Screaming.", at 22:32, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Freely, but quickly and harshly.", at 26:22, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "FRICKA [Anxiously", at 26:52, with which I feel the actor complied.

Hello, I can do Scene 2 if you want, as I am not in it. It will take a few days though, as I am on holidays....
Es grüßt
AliceStein
Ein Himmel mir und dir!
Insta:@librivox_readerette
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AliceStein wrote: March 15th, 2024, 4:26 pm

Hello, I can do Scene 2 if you want, as I am not in it. It will take a few days though, as I am on holidays....
Es grüßt
AliceStein
Great! Actually, it does not matter if you are in a scene or act or not. Since I'm doing the [final] editing of all of the recordings I am the only one who is disqualified from doing PL of them. Thank you!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Uploaded a new version of Act 1 of The Valkyrie to https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_05_wagner_128kb.mp3 It runs for 33:36 and contains all content for the act, but needs voice credits for roles in The Valkyrie Acts 2 and 3 that have not yet been received. There is a copy in the project share here that can be previewed without impacting LV servers. Cheers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/nibleung_siegmund_valkyrie.mp3 (22:36.36) is ready for PL; if not PL'd separately, its content will be PL'd with The Valkyrie Acts 1 and 2.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: November 8th, 2023, 10:48 am
Nice transition in your Alberich characterization from The Rhinegold through to the end of Siegfried. You've evolved him well. Just these few notes ...

PL Notes for Alberich in Siegfried
  • (1:37) "Were I still the blind ... Silly fool that I was" [The word 'the' is omitted]
    • I might be able to find another instance where you've said 'the' with a similar inflection which I could copy and insert here but you might well prefer to restate the line yourself. It's up to you to decide.
  • (3:05) "I will storm / Proud Walhall with Hella's hosts" [The word 'storm' sounds like 'stall' in this passage.]
Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried_edited.mp3 (7:16) and marked it ready for spot PL. I edited the recording so I cannot spot PL it. If someone else does the spot PL on it that would be fine; otherwise the edits will be PL'd when Siegfried Act 2 is PL'd. The recording is linked in this post and in section 82 (currently last) of MW.

Notes on edits for spot PL:
  • (1:37) "Were I still the blind ... Silly fool that I was" [The word 'the' is omitted]
    • Copied the word 'the' from 0:49 of the recording and pasted the copy at 1:37
  • (3:05) "I will storm / Proud Walhall with Hella's hosts" [The word 'storm' sounds like 'stall' in this passage.]
    • Copied the words 'ceaseless torment' from 2:52 of the recording and then edited (ceaseless torment) the copied words to form the word 'storm'; replaced 'stall' at 3:05 with the resultant 'storm'.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: November 8th, 2023, 11:50 am
Fine, fine performance of Alberich throughout all three plays in which the character appears. Minor note here. Edit at your discretion. If you'd prefer that I address in editing let me know and, in that case, I will change status from PL Notes to PLOK.

PL Note for Alberich in The Twilight of the Gods
  • Hagen pronunciation at 0:09: the 'a' should sound somewhat more like that in the pronunciation guide.
    • Note that I can reuse another instance of you saying 'Hagen' in place of the one here - e.g. from 0:36 or 1:11 of your recording - but the intonation might not be a perfect match. I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether you'd prefer to rerecord [just] the instance of the name Hagen that begins the stanza of lines at 0:09.
Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_twilight_edited.mp3 (3:20) and marked it ready for spot PL. I edited the recording so I cannot do the spot PL. If someone else would spot it that would be great; otherwise it will be PL'd as a side effect of PL on Twilight of the Gods Act 1. The edited recording can be linked from this post or from Listen URL in section 83 (currently) last of MW.

Note on edit for Spot PL:

Replaced the word Hagen at 0:09 with a copy of the word 'Hagen' from 1:11.
AliceStein

Post by AliceStein »

AliceStein wrote: March 15th, 2024, 4:26 pm
BrianFullen wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:32 pm The Rhinegold Scene 2 is now up at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_02_wagner_128kb.mp3 and ready for PL. It runs for 29:0.85.

Es grüßt
AliceStein
Wonderful scene!
Here my PL notes:

Sec 4 Narrator
I hear thee Rheingold (as if it were plural staring with a vowl)
I read The Rheingold.

8:33 Wotan
I hear "seriou", the s missing
I read "serious"

11:46 and 11:47, Narrator
I hear thee valley and thee background (as if plural)
I read the valley and the background

15:35 Loge
I hear streng
I read strength

22:53 Fafner
I hear: If the RhinegEld no be ready
I read "RhinegOld"

23:10 Narrator
I hear: thee giants (as if plural)
I read The giants

23:31 Narrator
I read The giants

25:16 Loge
I hear "Wotens"
I read WotAn's"

27:10 Wotan
I hear: hastening o downward
I read: hastening downward

27:55 Narrator
I hear: thee side (as if plural)
I read: the side

28:03 Wotan
I hear "jos wait"
I read "ye others wait"

28:34 Narrator
I hear "thee sulphurous" (as if plural)
I read "the sulphurous"

Kind regards

AliceStein
Ein Himmel mir und dir!
Insta:@librivox_readerette
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AliceStein wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:39 pm

Wonderful scene!
Here my PL notes:

Sec 4 Narrator
I hear thee Rheingold (as if it were plural staring with a vowl)
I read The Rheingold.

8:33 Wotan
I hear "seriou", the s missing
I read "serious"

11:46 and 11:47, Narrator
I hear thee valley and thee background (as if plural)
I read the valley and the background

15:35 Loge
I hear streng
I read strength

22:53 Fafner
I hear: If the RhinegEld no be ready
I read "RhinegOld"

23:10 Narrator
I read The giants

23:31 Narrator
I read The giants

25:16 Loge
I hear "Wotens"
I read WotAn's"

27:10 Wotan
I hear: hastening o downward
I read: hastening downward

27:55 Narrator
I hear: thee side (as if plural)
I read: the side

28:03 Wotan
I hear "jos wait"
I read "ye others wait"

28:34 Narrator
I hear "thee sulphurous" (as if plural)
I read "the sulphurous"

Kind regards

AliceStein
Hi Alice,

I'll just say upfront that, so far as I know, acceptable pronunciation of 'the' has nothing to do with plurality of the noun it precedes.

There are those, e.g. Sparkle in her video Two Ways to Pronounce "The" in English (and THREE rules!), who express their opinion that pronunciation of 'the' depends upon whether it precedes a word that begins with a vowel or a consonant, but her rule is exactly the opposite of yours.

I was saying the before I ever attended school but I do recall a teacher telling us that we could pronounce 'the' as we saw fit; I liked that teacher and loved that freedom. Speaking of school days: when we were taught typing (keyboarding if you prefer) we began with the famous pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" and were all required to enunciate the phrase as we keyed it - so, there we were, some thirty of us, saying something that sounded a bit like "Thee quick ... tha lazy ..." in something approaching unison. Drilled into our heads to a click-clack accompaniment by our instructor.

The folks at the Cambridge Dictionary )online) are of the opinion that variants in the pronunciation 'the' are based upon countries of origin and they could be correct in the main but what they say does not match my life's experience both within and outside of LV. I am going to continue recording 'the' as I see fit and I believe I am well within my rights as an LV narrator in doing so.

When you graciously offered to PL I should have thought to suggest that you have a look at https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners.

I will address the issues you've identified at 8:33, 15:35, 27:10 and 28:03. In each of those cases it was the editor (me) who introduced the problem. Thank you for bringing those issues to my attention.

As BC, I am stating for the record that pronunciation of Rhinegold at 23:53 is acceptable for this project and the same is true for the pronunciation of Wotan's at 25:16.

I assert that the passages 11:46 and 11:47, 23:10, 23:31, 27:55 and 28:34 are all fine as recorded and therefore require no further action.

Thanks again and best regards,
Brian

PS, I'll have a corrected recording up soon, possibly tomorrow.