[FULL][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_11_wagner_128kb.mp3 (45:56), Act 1 of Twilight, is now ready for PL.

Notes for PL:

Omitted cues:
  • 03:15 - "[With fire."
  • 12:47 - "[With animation."
  • 12:53 - "[Greatly moved."
  • 16:42 - "[Shyly."
  • 17:03 - "[Thoughtfully."
  • 18:09 - "[As before."
  • 18:32 - "[More secretly."
  • 19:45 - "Both listen."
  • 23:49 - "[Tenderly."
  • 25:22 - "[With a trembling voice."
  • 25:28 - "[Softly."
  • 26:34 - "[Interrupting in wondering haste."
  • 26:44 - "[As if making an intense effort to remember something."
  • 34:18 - "[With some hesitation."
  • 35:21 - "[Vehemently."
  • 35:46 - "[Gloomily."
  • 36:03 - "[Alarmed."
  • 38:36 - "[Quietly."
  • 39:07 - "[Vehemently."
  • 43:13 - "[As before."
  • 43:31 - "[As before, beginning with a slightly tremulous voice, but continuing with more confidence."
  • 43:36 - "[Breaking out in despair."
  • 45:49 - "In his natural voice."
Thank you! You know who you are! :D
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:46 am I've marked s10 as PL OK too. OK?
I'm sorry that I overlooked this post / question Paul. I finally noticed it early on [my] Thursday. I think I got notifications of a number of posts all at once and sometimes when that happens I don't catch them all. It's not the first time I've missed one or two. I'm trying to get better about "bundled notifications" on a project, but obviously I'm not there yet.

I think this was about Siegfried lines for Twilight. I'd hoped to upload Act 2 before retiring but didn't quite make it. With that upload I thought I'd respond (late) to your question. I think that when Act 1 and 2 of Twilight are OK, Siegfried to Twilight will be OK by implication. I think that there may be two misreads on Siegfried Act 2 lines but it will be your call as to whether they need fixed.

I did manage to get Alan in the Vassals mix as well as AgnesRobert (I'd overlooked those lines in an earlier mix I did for Act 2 Vassals and Women).

I need to do a final pass on Act 2 for completeness and ready for PL. I'll do that as early [my] Friday as I can. Probably in about 12 hours from this post.

Thanks for all the great work you are doing.

Cheers.

Oh yeah, I'd also missed your question on Mime lines that confessed his scheme in front of Siegfried. I was curious about that too. Thanks for asking about it. And thanks to Alan for his response.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_12_wagner_128kb.mp3 (30:17), Act 2 of Twilight, is now ready for PL.

Omitted cues:
  • 01:21 - "[Softly."
  • 01:50 - "[Still as before:"
  • 02:04 - "[As before."
  • 03:15 - "[Still mysteriously."
  • 03:37 - "[As before."
  • 04:34 - "[Still as before."
  • 09:44 - "[Still from the rock."
  • 10:43 - "[With increasing cheerfulness."
  • 11:05 - "[Burst into ringing laughter."
  • 14:39 - "[With fearful vehemence."
  • 16:11 - "[In great perplexity."
  • 16:27 - "[Breaking out furiously."
  • 17:13 - "[Shrieking in terrible anguish."
  • 22:36 - "[Lost in thought."
  • 22:59 - "[With increasing emotion."
  • 25:33 - "[Beside himself."
  • 26:07 - "[Seized with horror."
  • 27:01 - "[Softly."
  • 27:06 - "[Sighing deeply."
  • 27:34 - "[Passionately."
Paul, when I was editing this act I noticed what seemed to me to be misreads. It's really your call as to whether they - or for that matter any other issues with the act - merit correction, either by the character actor or the editor. Thank you, Brian

Possibly misread Siegfried lines:
  • 21:09 - "unbridled rage" misread as "bridled rage" (11:49 in file niblung_siegfried_twilight)
  • 21:51 - "joyfully laugh" misread as "Joyful laugh" (12:33 in file niblung_siegfried_twilight)
Last edited by BrianFullen on April 20th, 2024, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:12 pm
I'm sorry that I overlooked this post / question Paul. I finally noticed it early on [my] Thursday. I think I got notifications of a number of posts all at once and sometimes when that happens I don't catch them all. It's not the first time I've missed one or two. I'm trying to get better about "bundled notifications" on a project, but obviously I'm not there yet.

I think this was about Siegfried lines for Twilight. I'd hoped to upload Act 2 before retiring but didn't quite make it. With that upload I thought I'd respond (late) to your question. I think that when Act 1 and 2 of Twilight are OK, Siegfried to Twilight will be OK by implication. I think that there may be two misreads on Siegfried Act 2 lines but it will be your call as to whether they need fixed.

I did manage to get Alan in the Vassals mix as well as AgnesRobert (I'd overlooked those lines in an earlier mix I did for Act 2 Vassals and Women).

I need to do a final pass on Act 2 for completeness and ready for PL. I'll do that as early [my] Friday as I can. Probably in about 12 hours from this post.

Cheers.

Oh yeah, I'd also missed your question on Mime lines that confessed his scheme in front of Siegfried. I was curious about that too. Thanks for asking about it. And thanks to Alan for his response.
I’ll check Act 2 soon. Alan was right. See what the Wood Bird says just before he speaks to Mime.

THE WOOD-BIRD'S VOICE
Hei! Siegfried now owns
Both the helm and the ring!
Oh! let him not listen
To Mime, the false!
He were wise to be wary of
Mime's treacherous tongue.
He will understand
Mime's secret intent,
Because he has tasted the blood.

However, later when S is relaying all this (and before getting stabbed himself) he tells the listeners that Mime spewed all that openly because he was so scared.

SIEGFRIED
A deadly-brewed draught
He brought me to drink;
But, fear-stricken,
His tongue stammered truly:
Nothung stretched him out dead!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 8:57 pm
BrianFullen wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:12 pm

Cheers.

I’ll check Act 2 soon. Alan was right. See what the Wood Bird says just before he speaks to Mime.

THE WOOD-BIRD'S VOICE
Hei! Siegfried now owns
Both the helm and the ring!
Oh! let him not listen
To Mime, the false!
He were wise to be wary of
Mime's treacherous tongue.
He will understand
Mime's secret intent,
Because he has tasted the blood.

However, later when S is relaying all this (and before getting stabbed himself) he tells the listeners that Mime spewed all that openly because he was so scared.

SIEGFRIED
A deadly-brewed draught
He brought me to drink;
But, fear-stricken,
Thank you.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

SIEGFRIED
A deadly-brewed draught
He brought me to drink;
But, fear-stricken,
Hi Paul
Well spotted, this is inconsistent :roll:
Perhaps we should bear in mind that at the point where Siegfried is relating his back story he is only slowly regaining his memory after the "forgetfulness" draught he drank in act 1. So perhaps his recall is not fully accurate :?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: April 19th, 2024, 12:11 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_12_wagner_128kb.mp3 (00:00), Act 2 of Twilight, is now ready for PL.

Omitted cues:
Paul, when I was editing this act I noticed what seemed to me to be misreads. It's really your call as to whether they - or for that matter any other issues with the act - merit correction, either by the character actor or the editor. Thank you, Brian

• 21:09 - "unbridled rage" misread as "bridled rage" (11:49 in file niblung_siegfried_twilight)
  • 21:51 - "joyfully laugh" misread as "Joyful laugh" (12:33 in file niblung_siegfried_twilight)
You're correct, both of these are mis-spoken. Although only the former alters the meaning, if James is willing to re-record the former, he may as well do the latter too. However, if he has gone gently into the good night, I think we can live with both: rage is rage whether bridled or unbridled.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

alanmapstone wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:32 pm
SIEGFRIED
A deadly-brewed draught
He brought me to drink;
But, fear-stricken,
Hi Paul
Well spotted, this is inconsistent :roll:
Perhaps we should bear in mind that at the point where Siegfried is relating his back story he is only slowly regaining his memory after the "forgetfulness" draught he drank in act 1. So perhaps his recall is not fully accurate :?
I think there's a PhD thesis in there somewhere. Along with some deep analysis of exactly why Brünnhilde call for his murder and what they got up to behind the flames. And maybe some parallels with Macbeth instead of with Middle Earth.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:45 pm
.... some deep analysis of exactly why Brünnhilde call for his murder and what they got up to behind the flames. ..
Maybe she didn't buy his story that he was out drinking with the boys, had a few too many, blacked out and ended up in Gutrune's arms as a result of inebriation. My guess is that the very same excuse has been used countless times before and since Siegfried's indiscretion and with varying degrees of success but probably mostly failure. The death penalty, with Hagen as hit man and Brunnhilde as unindicted coconspirator, seems harsh to me, but then I'm a guy and might see things a little differently.

I like the fact that Brunnhilde seems to have been in stasis from the time that Siegfried was in Sieglinde's womb until he attained young manhood so that even though there was at least a generational difference between them that did not seem to be an issue for either of the lovers. Maybe cougars and wolves have some affinity. In this story it seems that wolves and hounds are natural enemies which I thought was surprising since I've seen TV ads by a pet food manufacturer touting the evolutionary theory that dogs are descended from wolves.

I think that there are also parallels with the Arthurian myths. I should think it might be more challenging to embed a sword in a stone as compared to an ash tree and maybe Myth Busters should look into the matter. I do think that it could be more difficult to withdraw a sword, once embedded, from a living ash tree in comparison to an inanimate stone but, hey, I've never tried either.

I started out thinking that Wotan was called Wanderer simply because he roamed about in disguise whilst spying on mortals. But he seems to have done a little more that spy. Maybe he should have been called Planter because he apparently did a lot of seeding.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Oh! Just went out on YT and had a listen to Dion singing The Wanderer. I am now of the opinion that Wotan would have had a solid case for Service Mark infringement - or perhaps he should have just shafted Dion with that runic spear. I was fascinated to learn from Waltraute's discourse that Loge toothed those runes in that spear. That Loge had an amazing array of capabilities; I bit like Alan, I suppose.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: April 12th, 2024, 6:37 pm Well, here goes nothing! We'll see how well I managed to meld with the other voices in the group lines. :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_helmwige_valkyrie.mp3 (5:25)
Just got around to adding "Wiggy" to the mix and it will be spectacular, I promise! Nothung to do :wink: with my editing, mind you - I'm really clumsy by nature and my ears don't work so well - it's all about your performance. I'm only a little ways in - don't worry, this probably won't be a running commentary, if I can restrain myself - but already I must say: I love your take on "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Heiaha!". The "hojotoho" lines sound to me like a Plains Indian war dance from a Howard Hawks / John Wayne movie and the "Heiaha" is pure Bruce Lee. I think that mash up could be historically accurate in the long term if there ever were indeed a land bridge over the Berring Straits though I'm not certain that Cheyennes practiced martial arts. Maybe they did? IMO the KC Chiefs should trash their Tomahawk Chop riff in favor of a clip of your verse.

I should've started working your Valkyrie in with the others days ago but I waited until a rainy day when I would need cheering. And today's the day! Thank goodness! We've got gully washers here in North Texas today and Helmwige is just exactly what I needed.

Thanks for the laughs! I really needed them. :lol: Please understand that I'm not laughing at your performance :shock: far from from it. It's wonderful.

I mean thanks for your laughter in the role of Helmwige when GERHILDE, HELMWIGE AND SCHWERTLEITE are meant to be laughing aloud. I got the laughter from you and Scarbo (you two laugh well together and I think you should exchange jokes) but I didn't get so much as a chuckle out of Gerhilde. I've been lucky enough to hear Alan speak and sing on various projects - it's actually nearly impossible to keep Alan from singing, or at least wanting to sing - but laughter seems like a foreign concept to him. I wonder if Alan ever does laugh :hmm: Alan has done a lot of recordings and I imagine he must guffaw, snicker, titter or something on at least one of those. Could someone please provide me with a link so that I might hear a mirthful Alan?
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:18 am https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_11_wagner_128kb.mp3 (45:56), Act 1 of Twilight, is now ready for PL.

Notes for PL:

Omitted cues:
  • 03:15 - "[With fire."
  • 12:47 - "[With animation."
  • 12:53 - "[Greatly moved."
  • 16:42 - "[Shyly."
  • 17:03 - "[Thoughtfully."
  • 18:09 - "[As before."
  • 18:32 - "[More secretly."
  • 19:45 - "Both listen."
  • 23:49 - "[Tenderly."
  • 25:22 - "[With a trembling voice."
  • 25:28 - "[Softly."
  • 26:34 - "[Interrupting in wondering haste."
  • 26:44 - "[As if making an intense effort to remember something."
  • 34:18 - "[With some hesitation."
  • 35:21 - "[Vehemently."
  • 35:46 - "[Gloomily."
  • 36:03 - "[Alarmed."
  • 38:36 - "[Quietly."
  • 39:07 - "[Vehemently."
  • 43:13 - "[As before."
  • 43:31 - "[As before, beginning with a slightly tremulous voice, but continuing with more confidence."
  • 43:36 - "[Breaking out in despair."
  • 45:49 - "In his natural voice."
Suddenly it all makes sense! Listening out of order did not help :D . No wonder she wants him dead.

So this is all good except that Brunhilde has one word mis-spoken. At 41:48 there is a line "Surges the fiery flood" but I heard "Surges the fiery blood" which makes a good deal of difference.

@Availle - would you be so good as to re-do that line please?

Otherwise all good.

And with that I'm all caught up!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

BrianFullen wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:35 am I mean thanks for your laughter in the role of Helmwige when GERHILDE, HELMWIGE AND SCHWERTLEITE are meant to be laughing aloud. I got the laughter from you and Scarbo (you two laugh well together and I think you should exchange jokes) but I didn't get so much as a chuckle out of Gerhilde. I've been lucky enough to hear Alan speak and sing on various projects - it's actually nearly impossible to keep Alan from singing, or at least wanting to sing - but laughter seems like a foreign concept to him. I wonder if Alan ever does laugh. Alan has done a lot of recordings and I imagine he must guffaw, snicker, titter or something on at least one of those. Could someone please provide me with a link so that I might hear a mirthful Alan?
Hi Brian
I don't usually try laughing on recordings as I can never make it sound natural. In real life the best I can usually manage is a sardonic smile :(
If you let me know where you want the laughs inserted I will do my best!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:02 pm
BrianFullen wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:35 am I mean thanks for your laughter in the role of Helmwige when GERHILDE, HELMWIGE AND SCHWERTLEITE are meant to be laughing aloud. I got the laughter from you and Scarbo (you two laugh well together and I think you should exchange jokes) but I didn't get so much as a chuckle out of Gerhilde. I've been lucky enough to hear Alan speak and sing on various projects - it's actually nearly impossible to keep Alan from singing, or at least wanting to sing - but laughter seems like a foreign concept to him. I wonder if Alan ever does laugh. Alan has done a lot of recordings and I imagine he must guffaw, snicker, titter or something on at least one of those. Could someone please provide me with a link so that I might hear a mirthful Alan?
Hi Brian
I don't usually try laughing on recordings as I can never make it sound natural. In real life the best I can usually manage is a sardonic smile :(
If you let me know where you want the laughs inserted I will do my best!
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your kind of offer :D but I think we can make do with a sardonic smile. I'll just insert one of those on your behalf. Those are my favorite anyway. I don't think the listeners will mind just laughter from Schwertleite and Helmwige.

Take care,
Brian
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

PaulWelford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:38 pm
BrianFullen wrote: April 19th, 2024, 12:11 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_12_wagner_128kb.mp3 (00:00), Act 2 of Twilight, is now ready for PL.

Omitted cues:

You're correct, both of these are mis-spoken. Although only the former alters the meaning, if James is willing to re-record the former, he may as well do the latter too. However, if he has gone gently into the good night, I think we can live with both: rage is rage whether bridled or unbridled.
Yes, I will fix those! Well...I actually have a cold right now so I'll wait until I have my normal voice back again. Unless you're okay with Siegfried abruptly sounding like Morpheus from The Matrix :)