[FULL][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

DropDLife wrote: April 20th, 2024, 1:49 pm Yes, I will fix those! Well...I actually have a cold right now so I'll wait until I have my normal voice back again. Unless you're okay with Siegfried abruptly sounding like Morpheus from The Matrix :)
Darnit! I've forgotten what Morpheus sounds like. I might prefer that. Now I have to navigate to one of those free TV/movie sites to see. Could you maybe just do an "un" sound and a "ly" in your normal voice and maybe they could be edited in. Nah! Probably a bad idea. I'll be more than happy to wait for you to recover. Be well! And try to stay that way! Take care.
Thank you! You know who you are! :D
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Updated shared Valkyrie (2 or more saying the same lines) to https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_valkyries_valkyrie.mp3; there is an exact copy that can be listened to without stressing LibriVox servers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I have uploaded a partial The Valkyrie, Act 3 to https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_07_wagner_128kb.mp3 for safekeeping. Its duration is 28:46. It is not ready for PL as it lacks content for Brunnhilde and Grimgerde. There is a share point duplicate of the recording that can be listened to without stressing LV servers.
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

Okay here's an updated Siegfried Twilight recording with the unbridled and joyfully corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

DropDLife wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 4:52 pm Okay here's an updated Siegfried Twilight recording with the unbridled and joyfully corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3
Much obliged. I'll mark it ready for spot PL. Take care.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 5:36 pm I'll mark it ready for spot PL. Take care.
Belay that. I'll apply your corrections to Twilight Act 2 and mark that ready for spot PL.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:38 pm
Possibly misread Siegfried lines:
  • 21:09 - "unbridled rage" misread as "bridled rage" (11:49 in file niblung_siegfried_twilight)
  • 21:51 - "joyfully laugh" misread as "Joyful laugh" (12:33 in file niblung_siegfried_twilight)
You're correct, both of these are mis-spoken. Although only the former alters the meaning, if James is willing to re-record the former, he may as well do the latter too. However, if he has gone gently into the good night, I think we can live with both: rage is rage whether bridled or unbridled.
Twilight Act 2 is up and ready for spot PL @
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_12_wagner_128kb.mp3
Duration is now 30:14.31

Replaced verses are at:
  • 21:09.244 - 21:15.780 (contains "unbridled rage")
  • 21:48.351 - 21:57.176 (contains "joyfully")
Thank you
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Brian,

here's a quick take on the "joyful laughter", which doesn't sound very joyful to me.
I'm really better at maniacal cackling, witch that I am. :twisted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/nilung_brunnhilde_joyfullaughter.mp3

Valkyrie part is in progress, thanks for your patience! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Availle wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:10 am Hi Brian,

here's a quick take on the "joyful laughter", which doesn't sound very joyful to me.
I'm really better at maniacal cackling, witch that I am. :twisted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/nilung_brunnhilde_joyfullaughter.mp3

Valkyrie part is in progress, thanks for your patience! :D
Hi Ava,

You have far more experience than I when it comes to all things LV and my feelings won't be hurt if you discount anything I say here. What I think I've noticed in this project and perhaps a few other DR's or plays is that voice actors interpret cues in a variety of ways. When it comes to laughing I often hear it in the delivery of a line as sort of a "lilting" delivery, or maybe laughter in their voice is a better way to say that. Others employ a very demonstrative approach to the laughter before speaking a line. I don't have any special insight as to why we prefer to approach these cues - sometimes I do wonder if it could be cultural or personal - as we do and I can imagine that it could be circumstantial, meaning that maybe it's what the volunteer felt when they recorded the verse. When I PL I try to treat expressions of emotions such as joy, sorrow, anger, etc. in the same way that I'd treat variations in accent or pronunciation for a standard level of PL. If you have a preference as to whether or not you'd like your joyfullaughter I suppose we can accommodate your preference. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Thank you,
Brian

PS, I enjoy listening to your Brunnhilde. And I know that you have many irons in the fire. No worries. Also, selfishly, I have other things to work on and I kind of like the multi-tasking because it keeps things fresh for me. I've been finding out why there's a limit on DR's or plays that one can work ,,, they can get intense and I think overwhelming at times. If you've read this far thanks for listening to a relative newbie's opinions.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Brian,

if you'd prefer me to change the whole line to sound more "joyful", rather than include the laughter, I can certainly do that. It's your project, I don't mind either way, honestly. Just let me know.

Yes, we admins did come up with that limit on DRs for a reason, and it wasn't "let's be mean to those BCs :evil: "
:lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Availle wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:46 am Brian,

if you'd prefer me to change the whole line to sound more "joyful", rather than include the laughter, I can certainly do that. It's your project, I don't mind either way, honestly. Just let me know.

Yes, we admins did come up with that limit on DRs for a reason, and it wasn't "let's be mean to those BCs :evil: "
I really think it should be up to Paul and myself and yourself to decide the matter of the laughter. It also just occurred to me that while we are treating this work as a "play" it was composed as an opera. Maybe the composer wanted the singer to laugh distinctly rather than through song. But I'm not sure how weight to give such a cue when we are speaking as opposed to singing verses. When I listened to your original recording, for my part, I thought I did detect joyfulness in the way that you spoke the verse. So, no, I don't think we should ask you to redo the line. But maybe we should hear from Paul as I do think he has say in this matter too. Thank you.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:56 am
Availle wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:46 am Brian,

I really think it should be up to Paul and myself and yourself to decide the matter of the laughter. It also just occurred to me that while we are treating this work as a "play" it was composed as an opera. Maybe the composer wanted the singer to laugh distinctly rather than through song. But I'm not sure how weight to give such a cue when we are speaking as opposed to singing verses. When I listened to your original recording, for my part, I thought I did detect joyfulness in the way that you spoke the verse. So, no, I don't think we should ask you to redo the line. But maybe we should hear from Paul as I do think he has say in this matter too. Thank you.
Goodness, what did I start? I think we might be taking this too seriously. And in that vein I shall continue... :lol:

OK here is my take: I'm perfectly happy to concede that I sometimes take things too literally and stage directions can have many legitimate interpretations. We could go with the original and be done with it. In this instance I absolutely agree that Ava's original reading was joyful, indeed I said so in my original PL notes and only asked her to "consider" adding the laughter. However, the stage direction is not joyful laughter, it's "laughing wildly with joy" which takes it up a notch. I think this is the reason I made that PL note in the first place rather than leaving it. So Ava has very kindly done some laughing and self-deprecatingly implied it is cackling which I disgaree with. I've listened a few times and think it is spot on for laughing wildly with joy, thank you Ava, and that the first five seconds including the "ooh" fits the bill very nicely. I suggest we splice it in just before valourous boy and go with that. Or we could come up with another option and debate that a while longer until we disappear up our own .... :lol:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:07 am I suggest we splice it in just before valourous boy and go with that.
Thank you, Paul, I'll splice it in and, when done, mark it ready for spot PL.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Availle wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:10 am
I haven't heard so much laughter since the publication of my high school yearbook with my graduation picture in it. I hope you don't mind that I only used two of your laughter runs. I chose the two that I thought most coquettish. Not that I've ever in my life engendered any coquetry - I'm no Siegfried. (And there I am. Right back to teen angst that I've never outgrown. Why is that. And why am I asking you. It's not your problem. It's mine) So, lacking real life experience, I looked the word up. I think your trills fit the bill. And by definition I think that is exactly what is needed at that point in Act 3 of Siegfried. Not to worry. I won't let your other laughter go to waste. I'm thinking of using the other laughs in the Valkyrie Act 3 where I'm short on mirth. The part where the V's are laughing uproariously about dead hero horses extending the deadly feuds of their masters. Of course that happens before B arrives en scene. It would be sort of an "inside" joke, in that case.

I like the part at the end of your track where you boast of your cackling prowess. I have some clips from a Hansel and Gretel in which Kitty gets super witchy with cackles. They'd be tough to beat, but I'm not counting you out. I'd like to put together a sort of admin all star cackles chorus that I can play any time that one of you tells that I can't do something that I want to do. Just to reinforce my opinion that y'all are mean! :mrgreen:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Siegfried, Act 3 (33:49, was 33:43) up @
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_10_wagner_128kb.mp3

laughs inserted at 31:50

Ready for spot PL