[FULL][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AliceStein wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Hi Alice,

I've uploaded a revised https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_02_wagner_128kb.mp3 (24:01.19) and will mark it ready for spot PL. Thank you for your thorough PL Notes - they were a big help. Please note that timestamps for my edits are for the revised recording.

Best,
Brian
8:33 Wotan
I hear "seriou", the s missing
I read "serious"
(8:31.630 - 8:36.138) "How sly to judge us serious / When plainly we were but jesting!" EDIT: slightly amped up (less than 5 dB) the gain of the 's' at the end of 'serious' and very slightly increased the gap between 'serious' and 'When'.
15:35 Loge
I hear streng
I read strength
(15:33.022 - 15:38.161) "Where weak still is strength, / And germs only stirring," EDIT: amped up (a little more than 10 dB) 'th' at the end of strength and very slightly increased the gap between the words 'strength' and 'And'.
27:10 Wotan
I hear: hastening o downward
I read: hastening downward
(27:08.991 - 27:12.860) "To Nibelheim hastening downward, / I go in search of the gold." EDIT: Excised the 'o' sound between 'hastening' and 'downward' leaving a gap the length of that excised sound.
28:03 Wotan
I hear "jos wait"
I read "ye others wait"
(28:03.325 - 28:04.765) "Ye others wait / Till evening here;" EDIT: sounded to me like an elision of the words 'Ye' and 'others' (i.e. Y'others): placed a very slight gap between those words and adjusted their gains by just a bit (about 1 or 2 dB).
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
AliceStein

Post by AliceStein »

Your absolutely right, I copied the wrong remark, I meant, that "thee" with a long "e" is for words that start with a vowl following. When I studied English I was told I can say "thee" only when the following word starts with a vowl.
AliceStein
Ein Himmel mir und dir!
Insta:@librivox_readerette
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AliceStein wrote: March 18th, 2024, 7:46 am Your absolutely right, I copied the wrong remark, I meant, that "thee" with a long "e" is for words that start with a vowl following. When I studied English I was told I can say "thee" only when the following word starts with a vowl.
AliceStein
Thanks, Alice. And I think that is a fine rule for you to follow. if you wish to do so I think your English is quite good. I certainly enjoy listening to your recordings. I hope you will appreciate that I do not feel that you and I should establish a "standard" of sorts for LV recordings that others must follow. So far as I know LV does not now have a rule for the pronunciation of the word 'the' for LV English language recordings.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll second Brian here: even if the requested PL level for this project were Word Perfect, "thuh" vs "thee" is not something we have (or should have) a LibriVox standard for.

For example, while my own usage broadly aligns with thee(!) "vowel vs consonant" rule you mention, I also alter thuh pronunciation of this word as part of my infection of a sentence.
Thuh word can either be glossed over quickly, as a grammatical necessity, or it can highlight to thee listener, that there's something important or particular under discussion.

I couldn't fully explain this rule, but it matches my intuition as a native speaker within my region. Native speakers in other places will have different intuitions, but are not in need of correction. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I've uploaded a newer version of The Valkyrie Act 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_06_wagner_128kb.mp3 (41:45) and there is a copy in the project share than can be heard without impacting LV resources.
WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda »

Has the role of Grimgerde been taken yet?
Currently recording:

Psyche in Cupid and Psyche for Greek Myths and Hero Tales
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

WoollyLambda wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:20 am Has the role of Grimgerde been taken yet?
It is yours. Thank you for joining us.
WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda »

BrianFullen wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:56 am
WoollyLambda wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:20 am Has the role of Grimgerde been taken yet?
Wonderful! I see that LeanneCvetan, the voice of Rossweisse, has already recorded their lines. I know there are warnings against overloading Librivox's servers, but I was wondering if I might take a listen to their tracks so that I can match their pronunciations on the line "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Heiaha!"? We also say a few lines in unison--ie. the above, and "Warfather's horse". I just wanted to check in before I downloaded any additional files.
Currently recording:

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

WoollyLambda wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:06 am
Wonderful! I see that LeanneCvetan, the voice of Rossweisse, has already recorded their lines. I know there are warnings against overloading Librivox's servers, but I was wondering if I might take a listen to their tracks so that I can match their pronunciations on the line "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Heiaha!"? We also say a few lines in unison--ie. the above, and "Warfather's horse". I just wanted to check in before I downloaded any additional files.
There is a Project Share and within that there is a partial recording of The Valkyrie - Act 3 (preview) that can be listened to without stressing LV servers.

Now I must apologize to Leanne for not yet integrating her role into the partial Act 3 recording. But I will do that today (or tomorrow). My feeble excuse is that I was waiting for lines from another Valkyrie or two. But I won't stall any longer.

If you wish, I will get the timestamps for the partial recording of the chorused Valkyrie lines so you can hear what they sound like with four Valkyries. Let me know and I'll get those for you.
WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda »

BrianFullen wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:33 am

There is a Project Share and within that there is a partial recording of The Valkyrie - Act 3 (preview) that can be listened to without stressing LV servers.

Now I must apologize to Leanne for not yet integrating her role into the partial Act 3 recording. But I will do that today (or tomorrow). My feeble excuse is that I was waiting for lines from another Valkyrie or two. But I won't stall any longer.

If you wish, I will get the timestamps for the partial recording of the chorused Valkyrie lines so you can hear what they sound like with four Valkyries. Let me know and I'll get those for you.
I would very much appreciate the timestamps! \:D
Currently recording:

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

WoollyLambda wrote: March 18th, 2024, 11:47 am

Working on the timestamps. Meanwhile I've added Rossveisse to the share for 'guilt free' access. I forgot that you have lines in concert with Rossveisse and now I better understand your request.
WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda »

BrianFullen wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:02 pm

Working on the timestamps. Meanwhile I've added Rossveisse to the share for 'guilt free' access. I forgot that you have lines in concert with Rossveisse and now I better understand your request.
Many thanks!
Currently recording:

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

These are timestamps I've come up with for The Valkyrie - Act 3 (preview) in its current state: 3:54 [*], 5:01 [*], 6:06, 7:09, 7:36, 7:52, 8:23, 10:33, 11;22, 12:42, 12:57, 13:17, 13:43, 14:05, 17:22, 17:53 and 19:17.

They will of course change once I've incorporated Leanne's lines so, for that reason, you should probably download the file from the share now. I won't put up a new version of the recording until sometime tomorrow.

I marked [*] the first two because I believe they are before your character arrives on scene. I left out at least one other because it was clear that they were for two (only) other Valkyries. I did not check the text. I have a project file (aup3) but I don't think aup's with more than one track are transferable across machines. I didn't think to just export audio mp3 with choruses only until after I got the timestamps :mrgreen: If you prefer I can do that now and give you just that sans timestamps.

I realize that many of these are in dire need of reworking, but in my first pass (4 Valkyries) I was trying to get mixes that sounded somewhat clear as what the lines are; it seems to me now that I did OK for some of the choruses and not well at all for others. That was part of my thought process as why I might add more Valkyries in groups of two or more.

Cheers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Update on sharing of project (aup3) files:

I should have remembered that they can be shared because less than a week ago I opened one in Audacity that someone else had created on their machine using a DAW other than Audacity. What I was probably thinking about earlier today was a caution that I had read regarding sharing in Audacity's documentation. I went back to check and the caution had to do with file size; project files can get to be quite large and between compressions (save and close) they 'consume mass quantities' of memory. I've experienced hangs when I didn't compress during a long editing session and had to do a forced shutdown as a result. However, Audacity check-pointing of projects seems reliable and I never lost any work, i.e. what I did up until the hang was recoverable when I reopened the project file.

I don't think projects are a panacea but I do like them for some types of editing. I especially like them when I'm mixing multiple tracks, for choruses, for example.

On the first play that I edited for LV which involved lines voiced in unison I mixed 3 voices down to a mono track when exporting to mp3. And then I wanted to add another voice to the mix. No matter what I tried when adding that 4th voice it seemed to dominate the other 3; well, at least it did to my ear. I could adjust the gain on the 3 voice mix or on the 4th voice for the mix independently but it just didn't seem to matter. I think I get better results when I keep the tracks separate, working them within an Audacity project. That way I can always tweak the gains on the tracks independently and I believe I get a better end result that way.

I suppose I could leave all of the editing, or just the mixing parts, until the end of a project and just do mix in a single session with an export to mp3. I just feel that it could a very long session. Also, when I'm editing Plays and DR's I like to edit / mix as I go rather than wait until all content is in for the entire project. That's because editing for Plays and DR's can be burdensome and time consuming. I learned early on that it's hard for me to stay motivated to work on the editing of a Play or DR if there's just a mountain to climb. I prefer to do it in segments or chunks rather than leave it to the end.

So, back to sharing. I'd be happy to share project files (aup3's) in case anyone else wanted to play with them for this project. But there's no way I know of to upload them to LV. They rapidly get too big to email. I could put them in a share, probably zipped, if someone were that interested. Cheers.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 17th, 2024, 1:10 pm
BrianFullen wrote: November 8th, 2023, 11:50 am
Fine, fine performance of Alberich throughout all three plays in which the character appears. Minor note here. Edit at your discretion. If you'd prefer that I address in editing let me know and, in that case, I will change status from PL Notes to PLOK.

PL Note for Alberich in The Twilight of the Gods
  • Hagen pronunciation at 0:09: the 'a' should sound somewhat more like that in the pronunciation guide.
    • Note that I can reuse another instance of you saying 'Hagen' in place of the one here - e.g. from 0:36 or 1:11 of your recording - but the intonation might not be a perfect match. I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether you'd prefer to rerecord [just] the instance of the name Hagen that begins the stanza of lines at 0:09.
Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_twilight_edited.mp3 (3:20) and marked it ready for spot PL. I edited the recording so I cannot do the spot PL. If someone else would spot it that would be great; otherwise it will be PL'd as a side effect of PL on Twilight of the Gods Act 1. The edited recording can be linked from this post or from Listen URL in section 83 (currently) last of MW.

Note on edit for Spot PL:

Replaced the word Hagen at 0:09 with a copy of the word 'Hagen' from 1:11.
PL OK thanks: I tried marking it as PL OK but don't have PL rights any more which is fair enough seeing as I dropped out.

Things have calmed down a bit and I'm willing to take on DPL again if you wish and still need.