[FULL][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

DropDLife wrote: April 11th, 2024, 11:05 am Okay, apologies for the delay but here's section 8:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3

20:50.
You have nothing to apologize for! Thanks for taking on Siegfried. Personally, I'm not fearless so I can only imagine playing such an heroic role. What I've heard so far, has been really, really good. I'm in the midst of editing Siegfried Act 3 and I hear some really fearless romance going on there. Nicely done! I look forward to hearing your Siegfried in Twilight. :)
Thank you! You know who you are! :D
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

BrianFullen wrote: April 11th, 2024, 12:37 pm
DropDLife wrote: April 11th, 2024, 11:05 am Okay, apologies for the delay but here's section 8:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3

20:50.
You have nothing to apologize for! Thanks for taking on Siegfried. Personally, I'm not fearless so I can only imagine playing such an heroic role. What I've heard so far, has been really, really good. I'm in the midst of editing Siegfried Act 3 and I hear some really fearless romance going on there. Nicely done! I look forward to hearing your Siegfried in Twilight. :)
Cool, thank you. I'm definitely not fearless and I had to step out in faith to say yes to Siegfried! I'm guessing there's a bit wishful thinking wrapped up in the portrayal. "Hmm...how would I want my last words to sound if I was heroically in love and had a spear stuck in my back...?"
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

DropDLife wrote: April 11th, 2024, 1:23 pm "Hmm...how would I want my last words to sound if I was heroically in love and had a spear stuck in my back...?"
Assuming that the one you are heroically in love with is not the one who stuck the spear in your back it might sound like
Didn't we almost have it all
When love was all we had worth giving?
The ride with you was worth the fall, my friend
Loving you makes life worth living
Didn't we almost have it all?
The nights we held on 'til the morning
You know you'll never love that way again
with apologies to Whitney Houston. On the other hand if you were back stabbed by the one who you loved it might be more like ...
You must explain
Why this must be
Did you lie
When you spoke to me?
Did you stand by me?

Did you stand by me?
No, not at all
Did you stand by me?
No way
with apologies to The Clash.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of The Clash, but that's just me. :lol:
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

BrianFullen wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:04 pm
DropDLife wrote: April 11th, 2024, 1:23 pm "Hmm...how would I want my last words to sound if I was heroically in love and had a spear stuck in my back...?"
Assuming that the one you are heroically in love with is not the one who stuck the spear in your back it might sound like
Didn't we almost have it all
When love was all we had worth giving?
The ride with you was worth the fall, my friend
Loving you makes life worth living
The nights we held on 'til the morning
You know you'll never love that way again
with apologies to Whitney Houston. On the other hand if you were back stabbed by the one who you loved it might be more like ...
You must explain
Why this must be
Did you lie
When you spoke to me?
Did you stand by me?

Did you stand by me?
No, not at all
Did you stand by me?
No way
with apologies to The Clash.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of The Clash, but that's just me. :lol:
Whoa, dude! I didn't think of that nuance. Well played! (Now I'll spend the next hour scouring lyrics--I won't post them but you can smile just knowing I'm doing that.)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Siegfried Act 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_10_wagner_128kb.mp3 (33:43), Act 3 of Siegfried, is now ready for PL.

Notes for PL:

Omitted cues:
  • 05:34 - "[A long silence." - I left about two seconds of silence here
  • 09:31 - "[Bursts out laughing with gleeful good-humour."
  • 09:34 - "[Surprised."
  • 11:02 - "[Who has been listening thoughtfully, now bursts involuntarily into hearty laughter."
  • 11:19 - "[Gently."
  • 16:25 - "Softly."
  • 17:36 - "Tenderly."
  • 19:00 - "[Tenderly."
  • 19:29 - "[Very tenderly."
  • 19:53 - "sweetly."
  • 20:06 - "[As if in despair."
  • 21:39 - "[Breaking forth in rapturous exaltation."
  • 22:40 - "[Softly and timidly."
  • 23:58 - "[Tenderly."
  • 25:24 - "[With fire."
  • 25:33 - "[With increased sadness."
  • 25:50 - "[With heat."
  • 27:06 - "[Bewildered."
  • 28:01 - "[Much agitated."
  • 30:05 - "[With deep feeling."
  • 30:09 - "[With fire."
  • 31:22 - "[With a shock of joy."
  • 31:50 - "[Laughing wildly with joy." - please refer to Paul's DPL post. I don't know if Ava will record and upload wild, joyful laughter or not. I have removed that cue from the stage direction.
  • 32:45 - '[While Brünnhilde repeats the foregoing, beginning at "Farewell Walhall's Radiant world."' - treated as a direction for editing
mummibee

Post by mummibee »

Belinda
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

:clap:
mummibee wrote: April 11th, 2024, 10:29 pm Here is Siegrune in The Valkyrie

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_siegrune_valkyrie.mp3
:clap:

Thank you! :)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Well, here goes nothing! We'll see how well I managed to meld with the other voices in the group lines. :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_helmwige_valkyrie.mp3 (5:25)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: April 12th, 2024, 6:37 pm Well, here goes nothing! We'll see how well I managed to meld with the other voices in the group lines. :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_helmwige_valkyrie.mp3 (5:25)
That's the thing. When you do great work, as you do, people expect that of you all the time. You've set the bar high for yourself, but you'll clear it with ease. :) Thanks!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_13_wagner_128kb.mp3 (30:53), Act 3 of Twilight, is now ready for PL.

Siegfried's lines, in the recording niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3, have not been proofed. But my thought is that PL of niblung_13_wagner_128kb.mp3 will serve as PL of those lines. If issues are noted for any of those lines, I can map the timestamps back to James' original recording of Siegfried in Twilight to facilitate their correction.

Notes for PL:

Omitted cues:
  • 02:26 - "[The maidens laugh."
  • 03:05 - "[They laugh immoderately."
  • 03:41 - "[Calling loudly."
  • 09:42 - "[More gloomily."
  • 09:45 - "[Laughing."
  • 09:58 - "[With a deep sigh."
  • 12:44 - "[With a strident laugh."
  • 13:54 - "[More and more ecstatic."
  • 18:35 - "[In great fear."
  • 18:57 - "[With growing terror."
  • 22:26 - "[Breaking out in sudden despair."
I should have Twilight of the Gods, Act 2, ready for PL sometime this weekend and I plan to have the play's Act 1 recording ready in the upcoming week. After that I will post overall project status, etc. Cheers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Attention Paul, James and Alan regarding missing lines in Act 2 of Twilight:

In the source text for The Twilight of the Gods I believe it is confusing as to whether the following lines -
"Wake, Brünnhild', wake!
Here stands thy husband."
- are rightfully Siegfried's or Gunther's. Had either James (niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3) or Alan (niblung_gunther_twilight.mp3) recorded the lines I would have used their recording for these lines. Both chose not to record them, assuming they belonged to the other's role. :lol: Oh, well! :mrgreen: I tend to think they are Gunther's / Alan's lines, but Alan might disagree. As I recall, Alan does have a hardbound copy of the libretto and maybe that would shed light.

The lines would have been at:
  • 07:45 in Alan's niblung_gunther_twilight.mp3
  • 10:21 in James' niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3
Can we agree as to who will record these lines so that we'll have a complete Act 2 for Twilight? If it's my call to make alone I will ask Alan for them, but I really don't mind discussing the matter with others. I don't know if Alan is still monitoring here so I will PM him pointing him to this post.

Unrelated for James and Paul:

While I was looking into the above matter, I noticed two Siegfried misreads in niblung_siegfried_twilight.mp3.
  • 11:49 - "unbridled rage" misread as "bridled rage"
  • 12:33 - "joyfully laugh" misread as "Joyful laugh"
Cheers. :?
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Brian
I will record the missing lines so you can decide for yourself whether to use them.

I think.they must be Gunther's lines because in act 2 Siegfried has forgotten that he is Brunhilde's husband.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: April 14th, 2024, 11:24 am Hi Brian
I will record the missing lines so you can decide for yourself whether to use them.

I think.they must be Gunther's lines because in act 2 Siegfried has forgotten that he is Brunhilde's husband.
Hi Alan,

Siegfried may well be the hero of the tale but in my opinion you are a hero as well. :)

Thank you!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_12_wagner_128kb.mp3 (The Twilight of the Gods, Act 2) for safekeeping; it runs for 30:09 and is not yet ready for PL.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: April 7th, 2024, 8:49 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_08_wagner_128kb.mp3 (51:11), Act 1 of Siegfried, is now ready for PL .

Notes for PL:

Omitted voice cues:
  • 07:40 "[In a wailing voice, as if hurt."
  • 08:41 "[Sobbing."
  • 08:50 "[Sobbing."
  • 11:27 "[Simply."
  • 11:31 "[Tenderly."
  • 12:17 "[Angrily."
  • 13:18 "[Very angrily."
  • 15:24 "[Slowly."
  • 16:32 "[With increasing urgency."
  • 16:35 "[Roughly."
  • 17:45 "[Enthusiastically."
  • 19:53 "[Shrilly."
  • 19:53 "[Very softly, but audibly."
  • 27:50 "[With more cheerfulness."
  • 28:26 "[Pleasantly."
  • 29:38 "[Much pleased."
  • 29:43 "[Laughing."
  • 33:15 "[Laughing."
  • 34:50 "[Laughing."
  • 37:01 "[Tenderly."
Siegfried / Mime interleaved verses:

There is a stage direction in the script that indicates Mime stanzas that are to be interspersed with Siegfried's during pauses in the latter's melting & forging of Nothung (41:41 - 44:23) but the referenced pauses are not indicated in any way by stage directions.

In large part, because the number (3) of Mime stanzas that are to be interleaved is the same as the number of "Hohei! Hohei! Hoho! / Bellows blow!" refrains in the forging song I chose those points (/) for placement of the interleaved Mime verses. I believe that the billowing flame and with that Siegfried's spirits contrast well with Mime's rise in hope that his unfolding scheme to save himself might succeed.

You'll find the interleaved verses at 41:58, 42:42 and 43:35. The stage direction - "[During the pauses in Siegfried's song, still aside, sitting at a distance." - that would have been at 44:20 is omitted.
A fabulous completed work! I think your interleaving is spot on. PL OK! 👍👍