[FULL][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:39 pm
BrianFullen wrote: November 8th, 2023, 10:48 am
Nice transition in your Alberich characterization from The Rhinegold through to the end of Siegfried. You've evolved him well. Just these few notes ...

PL Notes for Alberich in Siegfried
  • (1:37) "Were I still the blind ... Silly fool that I was" [The word 'the' is omitted]
    • I might be able to find another instance where you've said 'the' with a similar inflection which I could copy and insert here but you might well prefer to restate the line yourself. It's up to you to decide.
  • (3:05) "I will storm / Proud Walhall with Hella's hosts" [The word 'storm' sounds like 'stall' in this passage.]
Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried_edited.mp3 (7:16) and marked it ready for spot PL. I edited the recording so I cannot spot PL it. If someone else does the spot PL on it that would be fine; otherwise the edits will be PL'd when Siegfried Act 2 is PL'd. The recording is linked in this post and in section 82 (currently last) of MW.

Notes on edits for spot PL:
  • (1:37) "Were I still the blind ... Silly fool that I was" [The word 'the' is omitted]
    • Copied the word 'the' from 0:49 of the recording and pasted the copy at 1:37
  • (3:05) "I will storm / Proud Walhall with Hella's hosts" [The word 'storm' sounds like 'stall' in this passage.]
    • Copied the words 'ceaseless torment' from 2:52 of the recording and then edited (ceaseless torment) the copied words to form the word 'storm'; replaced 'stall' at 3:05 with the resultant 'storm'.
I wonder if you uploaded the edited file? I still hear the same two errors.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:06 am
BrianFullen wrote: March 17th, 2024, 1:10 pm
BrianFullen wrote: November 8th, 2023, 11:50 am

Fine, fine performance of Alberich throughout all three plays in which the character appears. Minor note here. Edit at your discretion. If you'd prefer that I address in editing let me know and, in that case, I will change status from PL Notes to PLOK.

PL Note for Alberich in The Twilight of the Gods
  • Hagen pronunciation at 0:09: the 'a' should sound somewhat more like that in the pronunciation guide.
    • Note that I can reuse another instance of you saying 'Hagen' in place of the one here - e.g. from 0:36 or 1:11 of your recording - but the intonation might not be a perfect match. I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether you'd prefer to rerecord [just] the instance of the name Hagen that begins the stanza of lines at 0:09.
Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_twilight_edited.mp3 (3:20) and marked it ready for spot PL. I edited the recording so I cannot do the spot PL. If someone else would spot it that would be great; otherwise it will be PL'd as a side effect of PL on Twilight of the Gods Act 1. The edited recording can be linked from this post or from Listen URL in section 83 (currently) last of MW.

Note on edit for Spot PL:

Replaced the word Hagen at 0:09 with a copy of the word 'Hagen' from 1:11.
PL OK thanks: I tried marking it as PL OK but don't have PL rights any more which is fair enough seeing as I dropped out.

Things have calmed down a bit and I'm willing to take on DPL again if you wish and still need.
Thank you Paul.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi redrun,

Paul has kindly offered to DPL the project. We no longer need the post for one in listeners wanted.

Thank you,
Brian
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:16 am
BrianFullen wrote: November 8th, 2023, 10:48 am

Nice transition in your Alberich characterization from The Rhinegold through to the end of Siegfried. You've evolved him well. Just these few notes ...

PL Notes for Alberich in Siegfried
    • I might be able to find another instance where you've said 'the' with a similar inflection which I could copy and insert here but you might well prefer to restate the line yourself. It's up to you to decide.
Uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried_edited.mp3 (7:16) and marked it ready for spot PL. I edited the recording so I cannot spot PL it. If someone else does the spot PL on it that would be fine; otherwise the edits will be PL'd when Siegfried Act 2 is PL'd. The recording is linked in this post and in section 82 (currently last) of MW.

• Copied the words 'ceaseless torment' from 2:52 of the recording and then edited (ceaseless torment) the copied words to form the word 'storm'; replaced 'stall' at 3:05 with the resultant 'storm'.
Paul,

The original is at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried.mp3
The edited one is at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried_edited.mp3

I did that because I did not want to replace the line at 3:05 (and 1:37) unless it became necessary to do so for project completion.

Thank you,
Brian
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! Re-adding Paul, and removing that advertisement.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I have uploaded shared Valkyrie (2 or more Valkyries, other than Brünnhilde, saying the same lines) lines to https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/nibleung_valkyries_valkyrie.mp3; there is an exact copy that can be listened to without stressing LibriVox servers.

You do not need to try to match the pace at which other Valkyries recorded lines that you have in common with them. Simply record at your normal pace and it will be my responsibility to synchronize the shared lines which I will do using Audacity's Effect->Change Tempo.

A summary of shared lines follows. The timestamps are those currently in the shared Valkyrie file; when Valkyries not yet recorded and marked PL OK (currently Grimgerde, Helmwige and Siegrune) are added the timestamps might change in which case I will update this post.
  • 0:01 - Gerhilde, Waltraute and Schwertleite: "Heiaha! Heiaha!"
  • 0:14 - All except for Grimgerde and Rossweisse: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! / Heiaha!"
  • 0:24 - Only Grimgerde and Rossweisse: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! / Heiaha!"
  • 0:35 - Only* Helmwige and Siegrune: "We greet you, valiant ones! / Rossweiss' and Grimgerde!"
  • 0:48 - Only Grimgerde and Rossweisse: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! / Heiaha!"
  • 0:57 - All except for Grimgerde and Rossweisse: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! / Heiaha! Heiaha!"
  • 1:06 - Only Grimgerde and Rossweisse: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho!"
  • 1:13 - All except for Grimgerde and Rossweisse: "Be welcomed! Be welcomed!"
  • 1:18 - All: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! / Heiaha! / Brünnhilde, hei!"
  • 1:27 - All: "Hojotoho! Hojotoho! / Heiaha!"
  • 1:35 - All except Grimgerde: "Sister! Sister! / What has occurred?"
  • 1:42 - All: "Whence rodest ... who flee."
  • 1:51 - All: "Hast thou gone ... Flying from him?"
  • 2:02 - All: "Warfather, riding / His sacred steed, comes!"
  • 2:08 - All: "What threatens the woman?"
  • 2:13 - All: "O foolish sister ... Warfather's holy command!"
  • 2:29 - Only Rossweisse, Grimgerde and Schwertleite: "Wildly neighs / Warfather's horse!"
  • 2:36 - Only Helmwige, Gerhilde, and Siegrune: "Panting, snorting it comes!"
  • 2:44 - All: "Hence with the woman ... Shield her from doom!"
  • 2:54 - All: "Brünnhilde, hark! / Like a storm-wind he comes!"
  • 3:02 - Only Ortlinde and Waltraute: "The rock is reached / By horse and rider!"
  • 3:09 - All: "Woe, Woe! Brünnhilde! / Vengeance he brings!"
  • 3:18 - All: "This way ... heed not his call!"
  • 3:29 - All: "Woe! Woe! ... His foot for revenge!"
  • 3:41 - All: "Fearful and loud ... To terrible wrath?"
  • 3:53 - All: "To us fled ... wild rage be calmed."
  • 4:11 - All: "Woe's me! Woe! / Sister! O sister!"
  • 4:19 - All: "O stay, Father! ... share we her shame."
  • 4:38 - All: "Woe! Woe!"
*Gerlinde is mentioned in the source text as sharing this line but has no individual lines and is not included with the 'Eight other Valkyries' in the cast of characters for The Valkyrie. For those reasons I did not open a role for Gerlinde.

Last update of this post: 23 March 2024
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 7:32 am

Paul,

The original is at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried.mp3
The edited one is at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_alberich_siegfried_edited.mp3

I did that because I did not want to replace the line at 3:05 (and 1:37) unless it became necessary to do so for project completion.

Thank you,
Brian
Good enough. PL OK but you’ll need to point the MW at this file
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 8:25 am

Paul,

Thank you,
Brian
Great. There's no need to update the MW links for the Alberich role recordings. But I will be sure to apply the edits to the recordings for the Siegfried and Twilight Acts in which the edited lines belong. Ultimately there will be a PL of the completed Acts. Thank you.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 24th, 2024, 8:45 am
Great. There's no need to update the MW links for the Alberich role recordings. But I will be sure to apply the edits to the recordings for the Siegfried and Twilight Acts in which the edited lines belong. Ultimately there will be a PL of the completed Acts. Thank you.
Cool. I’ve just started by PLing the first compiled scene. It’s absolutely fantastic and gives me the same extra enjoyment (compared to PL of files not for DR) as recording Alberich did (compared to recording for non-DR). So far I’ve only listened for how it’s put together without checking that it’s word perfect. Am I right to assume I don’t need to do word perfect check as it must have already been done to get to compilation point? But I guess I need to at least follow along with the text to check that you got all the splicing in the right order. Sound right?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:48 am

Cool. I’ve just started by PLing the first compiled scene. It’s absolutely fantastic and gives me the same extra enjoyment (compared to PL of files not for DR) as recording Alberich did (compared to recording for non-DR). So far I’ve only listened for how it’s put together without checking that it’s word perfect. Am I right to assume I don’t need to do word perfect check as it must have already been done to get to compilation point? But I guess I need to at least follow along with the text to check that you got all the splicing in the right order. Sound right?
Thank you. I do hope you enjoy listening to completed scenes / acts. Recordings do not have to be word perfect. You might well find a few instances of word reversals, for example - generally I let those slide if I thought that the 'sense' of the verse was preserved. But please feel free to note anything that you believe should be noted and we'll work through it. I think that you have a better ear than most of us (surely me) and I think your judgement is sound. I don't doubt that you'll encounter a few examples where we are off just a bit on pronunciation of proper names. For example, there are at least 3 of us - I don't mean you by that, I mean myself and others - who regularly say something that sounds like 'fray-a' rather than 'fry-a'. I know it's a bit subjective, but my feeling was that if the actor for the character was fairly consistent in their pronunciation and if I thought that the audiobook listener would probably know who (or what) was referred to then the end result would probably be acceptable. But I'm not trying to tell you how I think you should PL. That's up to you.

I probably should just have answered you tersely: "Yes! I think you have a good handle on what it is that you want to do for PL. Recordings do not have to be word perfect. Thank you for agreeing to PL this project."

Cheers.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:09 am
PaulWelford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:48 am

Thank you. I do hope you enjoy listening to completed scenes / acts. Recordings do not have to be word perfect. You might well find a few instances of word reversals, for example - generally I let those slide if I thought that the 'sense' of the verse was preserved. But please feel free to note anything that you believe should be noted and we'll work through it. I think that you have a better ear than most of us (surely me) and I think your judgement is sound. I don't doubt that you'll encounter a few examples where we are off just a bit on pronunciation of proper names. For example, there are at least 3 of us - I don't mean you by that, I mean myself and others - who regularly say something that sounds like 'fray-a' rather than 'fry-a'. I know it's a bit subjective, but my feeling was that if the actor for the character was fairly consistent in their pronunciation and if I thought that the audiobook listener would probably know who (or what) was referred to then the end result would probably be acceptable. But I'm not trying to tell you how I think you should PL. That's up to you.

I probably should just have answered you tersely: "Yes! I think you have a good handle on what it is that you want to do for PL. Recordings do not have to be word perfect. Thank you for agreeing to PL this project."

Cheers.
All good, I've followed along and it's PL OK
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:57 am PL OK
Thank you.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:03 pm
AliceStein wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Hi Alice,

I've uploaded a revised https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_02_wagner_128kb.mp3 (24:01.19) and will mark it ready for spot PL. Thank you for your thorough PL Notes - they were a big help. Please note that timestamps for my edits are for the revised recording.

Best,
Brian
8:33 Wotan
I hear "seriou", the s missing
I read "serious"
(8:31.630 - 8:36.138) "How sly to judge us serious / When plainly we were but jesting!" EDIT: slightly amped up (less than 5 dB) the gain of the 's' at the end of 'serious' and very slightly increased the gap between 'serious' and 'When'.
15:35 Loge
I hear streng
I read strength
(15:33.022 - 15:38.161) "Where weak still is strength, / And germs only stirring," EDIT: amped up (a little more than 10 dB) 'th' at the end of strength and very slightly increased the gap between the words 'strength' and 'And'.
27:10 Wotan
I hear: hastening o downward
I read: hastening downward
(27:08.991 - 27:12.860) "To Nibelheim hastening downward, / I go in search of the gold." EDIT: Excised the 'o' sound between 'hastening' and 'downward' leaving a gap the length of that excised sound.
28:03 Wotan
I hear "jos wait"
I read "ye others wait"
(28:03.325 - 28:04.765) "Ye others wait / Till evening here;" EDIT: sounded to me like an elision of the words 'Ye' and 'others' (i.e. Y'others): placed a very slight gap between those words and adjusted their gains by just a bit (about 1 or 2 dB).
PL OK but see PM
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: March 13th, 2024, 3:38 pm The Rhinegold Scene 4 is up and ready for PL at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_04_wagner_128kb.mp3; it runs 30:13.

Scene 4 Notes for PL:

Omitted cue "ALBERICH [With a frightful cry.", at 7:47, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Laughing.", at 10:05, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Grimly.", at 10:10, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "WOTAN [Gloomily.", at 23:54, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Very firmly, as if struck by a great thought.", at 26:37, with which I feel the actor complied.
PL OK - I think you are an excellent foil to the characters in your narration Brian
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: March 26th, 2024, 8:04 am
BrianFullen wrote: March 13th, 2024, 3:38 pm The Rhinegold Scene 4 is up and ready for PL at https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_04_wagner_128kb.mp3; it runs 30:13.

Scene 4 Notes for PL:

Omitted cue "ALBERICH [With a frightful cry.", at 7:47, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Laughing.", at 10:05, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Grimly.", at 10:10, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "WOTAN [Gloomily.", at 23:54, with which I feel the actor complied.

Omitted cue "[Very firmly, as if struck by a great thought.", at 26:37, with which I feel the actor complied.
PL OK - I think you are an excellent foil to the characters in your narration Brian
Thank you Paul.