COMPLETE [SOLO] The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, Volume One - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, Volume One, by Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-early-short-fiction-of-edith-wharton-volume-one-by-edith-wharton/
Five early short stories by Edith Wharton, American author of The House of Mirth. Includes “Kerfol,” “Mrs. Manstey's View,” “The Bolted Door,” “The Dilettante,” and “The House of the Dead Hand.”

With one possible exception (“The Dilettante”), these early stories are dark tales about ghosts (canine and human), dark deeds of the past and present and how they haunt their perpetrators and victims, and narrators/central characters with a fierce determination to pursue their hearts’ desires at all costs.

Even the one exception, which seems more like Wharton’s later tales of the complicated relationships between men and women, is haunted by the ghost of the past. (Summary by Winnifred Assmann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/295

Target completion date: 2024-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, Volume One. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Read by your name. The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, Volume One, by Edith Wharton. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, use the shortened intro:
"Section # of The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, by Edith Wharton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Section #."
For the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, Volume One, by Edith Wharton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: earlyshortfictionvol1_##_wharton_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. earlyshortfictionvol1_01_wharton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: aradlaw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Winnifred on December 12th, 2023, 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

To the kind MC who picks this up. I will flesh out the summary some more once I have read the stories more closely, and I may have some more tags to add later.

I've truncated the file name quite a bit, assuming that lopping off the author's name would be acceptable since Wharton appears again later in the name. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

The book is on Project Gutenberg, but I can't seem to find either the original publication date or the date of that particular edition. There are dates and publishers given within the book for each story (where it first appeared), but I wasn't going to include those. Should I reconsider that?

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Can you cope with me as DPL for this too 😂?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

PaulWelford wrote: October 8th, 2023, 1:24 am Can you cope with me as DPL for this too 😂?
Sure can!

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I'll be back in a bit with your MW Winnifred.
... one MW.
I do wish Gutenberg would include a published date on more of their releases. I could not find the date for this book either.
There are dates and publishers given within the book for each story (where it first appeared), but I wasn't going to include those. Should I reconsider that?
They do appear as part of the text, so perhaps they should be included.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

aradlaw wrote: October 8th, 2023, 6:38 am I'll be back in a bit with your MW Winnifred.
... one MW.
I do wish Gutenberg would include a published date on more of their releases. I could not find the date for this book either.
There are dates and publishers given within the book for each story (where it first appeared), but I wasn't going to include those. Should I reconsider that?
They do appear as part of the text, so perhaps they should be included.
Ok, I’ll leave them in. Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Magic Window is now filled. I'll likely start recording next weekend and try to roll out at least one section a week.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Great. I'll see both of you over in Going Solo. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: October 15th, 2023, 3:40 pm Sections 1 and 2 are now in the Magic Window and ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_01_wharton_128kb.mp3 (18:31
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_02_wharton_128kb.mp3 (2:06)

Cheers,
Thanks Winnifred
Great reading. Unfortunately I hear quite a few subtle clicks and similar background noises in s1 which I think are probably mouthclicks. I suspect that the de-clicker add-in will remove them efficiently. I think you are familiar with it. Perhaps it was you that first mentioned it to me? Would you mind having a go? Or I will happily try it if you wish?

I didn't notice them in s2 so will mark it PL OK.

Paul
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

PaulWelford wrote: October 15th, 2023, 6:47 pm
Winnifred wrote: October 15th, 2023, 3:40 pm Sections 1 and 2 are now in the Magic Window and ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_01_wharton_128kb.mp3 (18:31
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_02_wharton_128kb.mp3 (2:06)

Cheers,
Thanks Winnifred
Great reading. Unfortunately I hear quite a few subtle clicks and similar background noises in s1 which I think are probably mouthclicks. I suspect that the de-clicker add-in will remove them efficiently. I think you are familiar with it. Perhaps it was you that first mentioned it to me? Would you mind having a go? Or I will happily try it if you wish?

I didn't notice them in s2 so will mark it PL OK.

Paul
Thanks. I seemed to be cursed with those today. Some days are worse than others.

Yes, the De-Clicker is my favourite plug-in and miracle cure. I had removed a few, but obviously not enough of them. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow, and reupload.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Section 1 has been de-clicked and re-uploaded. I ended up applying the De-Clicker to almost the entire section. I worry a bit that I'm impairing the sound by so much processing, but there really did seem to be a lot of mouth noises. I'll have to watch for that in future, as I don't think the De-Clicker is intended to eliminate all of those (I think it's really intended just to get those straight up and down spikes that are actual clicks.)

Anyway, it's ready for spot PL. Now one second shorter at 18:30: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_01_wharton_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: October 16th, 2023, 3:00 pm Section 1 has been de-clicked and re-uploaded. I ended up applying the De-Clicker to almost the entire section. I worry a bit that I'm impairing the sound by so much processing, but there really did seem to be a lot of mouth noises. I'll have to watch for that in future, as I don't think the De-Clicker is intended to eliminate all of those (I think it's really intended just to get those straight up and down spikes that are actual clicks.)

Anyway, it's ready for spot PL. Now one second shorter at 18:30: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_01_wharton_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
It sounds great to me now thanks.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hi Paul,

Section 3 is uploaded to the Magic Window and is ready for PL. A note about it: I recorded this at a proper recording studio that my local public library recently opened. This means there's none of that pesky background noise to deal with (hooray!) but it also means that it sounds a bit different than my earlier sections (different mic, done on a PC rather than a Mac, etc.) To my ear, it sounds a bit muffled compared to the earlier sections (I'll have to play with the settings some more next time). It has passed the Checker.

Let me know if you think it's so different from the earlier sections that I should consider redoing the first two sections (they're shorter, so it'd be easier to redo them than this one).

I suppose I should continue recording this book in the same place to ensure consistency. I don't mind doing that, but it might just take me a bit longer (I have to book the studio, drive there, etc.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_03_wharton_128kb.mp3 (38:20)

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: October 24th, 2023, 5:17 pm Hi Paul,

Section 3 is uploaded to the Magic Window and is ready for PL. A note about it: I recorded this at a proper recording studio that my local public library recently opened. This means there's none of that pesky background noise to deal with (hooray!) but it also means that it sounds a bit different than my earlier sections (different mic, done on a PC rather than a Mac, etc.) To my ear, it sounds a bit muffled compared to the earlier sections (I'll have to play with the settings some more next time). It has passed the Checker.

Let me know if you think it's so different from the earlier sections that I should consider redoing the first two sections (they're shorter, so it'd be easier to redo them than this one).

I suppose I should continue recording this book in the same place to ensure consistency. I don't mind doing that, but it might just take me a bit longer (I have to book the studio, drive there, etc.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_03_wharton_128kb.mp3 (38:20)

Cheers,
Hi Winnifred
A recording studio! I’m jealous! I’ll have to see about that 😊

I agree it’s a little muffled but not so much as to prevent hearing it clearly. I haven’t been and compared it to other sections but i don’t think there’s any need to re-do them. PL OK.
Paul