COMPLETE [SOLO] The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, Volume One - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

PaulWelford wrote: October 24th, 2023, 7:26 pm
Hi Winnifred
A recording studio! I’m jealous! I’ll have to see about that 😊

I agree it’s a little muffled but not so much as to prevent hearing it clearly. I haven’t been and compared it to other sections but i don’t think there’s any need to re-do them. PL OK.
Paul
Thanks, Paul. I may be able to improve the quality of the next one by fiddling with the settings. Yes, it was lovely to be in a completely silent space and not have to do any noise cleaning! I think it saved me editing time (though I lost that when Audacity crashed and we had to troubleshoot how to retrieve my work…) :lol:

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's Section 4 for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_04_wharton_128kb.mp3 (27:11).

Still getting used to the recording studio, but I think this recording is a bit less muffled than the last one (I got closer to the mic; it has a cover, so there's no need for me to keep my distance there). The sound is different than my mic at home, but that may not be a bad thing. It's a bit wonky transferring the files from their computer to mine, as they're on Audacity 3.2, and I'm on 3.3, so I get some messages about whether or not the files are synced. I've double-checked the uploaded file, though, so it should be fine. Let me know if you notice anything odd.

This one's a rather sad story, though I suppose Mrs. Manstey got what she wanted in the end.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: October 30th, 2023, 3:24 pm Here's Section 4 for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_04_wharton_128kb.mp3 (27:11).

Still getting used to the recording studio, but I think this recording is a bit less muffled than the last one (I got closer to the mic; it has a cover, so there's no need for me to keep my distance there). The sound is different than my mic at home, but that may not be a bad thing. It's a bit wonky transferring the files from their computer to mine, as they're on Audacity 3.2, and I'm on 3.3, so I get some messages about whether or not the files are synced. I've double-checked the uploaded file, though, so it should be fine. Let me know if you notice anything odd.

This one's a rather sad story, though I suppose Mrs. Manstey got what she wanted in the end.

Cheers,
PL OK. Definitely less muffled but still a teeny bit. Yes sad, but engaging.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

PaulWelford wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 8:46 pm
PL OK. Definitely less muffled but still a teeny bit. Yes sad, but engaging.
Thanks. I'll just have to get even closer next time. :D
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Section 5 is ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_05_wharton_128kb.mp3 (18:25)

Tried the alternate mic in the studio this time; I think it works better. My voice doesn't sound nearly so muffled.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: November 6th, 2023, 4:57 pm Section 5 is ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_05_wharton_128kb.mp3 (18:25)

Tried the alternate mic in the studio this time; I think it works better. My voice doesn't sound nearly so muffled.

Cheers,
very interesting - quite a lot of bass giving it a very pro feel :D

PL OK
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

PaulWelford wrote: November 10th, 2023, 11:05 am
Winnifred wrote: November 6th, 2023, 4:57 pm Section 5 is ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_05_wharton_128kb.mp3 (18:25)

Cheers,
very interesting - quite a lot of bass giving it a very pro feel :D

PL OK
Pro feel works for me! Thanks.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I should have known it was too good to be true. Apparently there’s a twice a month limit on that library recording studio, so I can’t book again until December. I’d like to continue with a consistent sound, so I’m slowing down my pace on this project to allow for that. It’ll mean only submitting sections twice a month instead of once a week, as I have been doing.

I’ll just have to record other things in the meantime!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:01 pm I should have known it was too good to be true. Apparently there’s a twice a month limit on that library recording studio, so I can’t book again until December. I’d like to continue with a consistent sound, so I’m slowing down my pace on this project to allow for that. It’ll mean only submitting sections twice a month instead of once a week, as I have been doing.

I’ll just have to record other things in the meantime!

Cheers,
Oh well. Works for me TBH. I’m struggling to keep up with prompt/timely DPLs with my new job.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

PaulWelford wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:55 pm
Oh well. Works for me TBH. I’m struggling to keep up with prompt/timely DPLs with my new job.
Glad I could be of help! :lol:
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:11 pm Here's Section 6 for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_06_wharton_128kb.mp3 (18:06)

Cheers,
PL OK
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I had hoped to post section 7 and maybe even section 8 today. Sadly, it was not to be. I recorded both, and when I started to edit the first one realized I'd been much too close to the mic, leading to breathy sounds and plosives (despite the mic cover!)

As I still had lots of time left in my recording session, I decided to at least redo section 7. So I rerecorded that and started editing. Did one pass through, then transferred the usb drive to my laptop (but neglected to immediately save the file to the hard drive) and started my second edit. About a third of the way through, the file corrupted irretrievably. Had another listen to section 8 and realized I hated it as well. I've decided to treat today as a long rehearsal for the real thing. :evil: :evil:

So there won't be anything here for PL until, likely, next week, when I'll try to get one or two sections up (but I will save obsessively this time!) Those will likely be the last until January, as the twice a month limit at the library will admit of no exceptions (I tried).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Winnifred wrote: December 5th, 2023, 6:41 pm I had hoped to post section 7 and maybe even section 8 today. Sadly, it was not to be. I recorded both, and when I started to edit the first one realized I'd been much too close to the mic, leading to breathy sounds and plosives (despite the mic cover!)

As I still had lots of time left in my recording session, I decided to at least redo section 7. So I rerecorded that and started editing. Did one pass through, then transferred the usb drive to my laptop (but neglected to immediately save the file to the hard drive) and started my second edit. About a third of the way through, the file corrupted irretrievably. Had another listen to section 8 and realized I hated it as well. I've decided to treat today as a long rehearsal for the real thing. :evil: :evil:

So there won't be anything here for PL until, likely, next week, when I'll try to get one or two sections up (but I will save obsessively this time!) Those will likely be the last until January, as the twice a month limit at the library will admit of no exceptions (I tried).

Cheers,
How frustrating! No worries, thanks for the update.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I decided to forego the dubious advantage of using the library equipment and brought my own laptop and mic to this session. Much less complicated, as I didn't have to transfer files (and risk losing them!) And I booked four hours, rather than three, so have managed to churn out three sections today. Here are sections 7, 8, and 9 for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_07_wharton_128kb.mp3 (23:00)
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_08_wharton_128kb.mp3 (7:29)
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/earlyshortfictionvol1_09_wharton_128kb.mp3 (12:28)

With any luck, my next session in early January will allow me to record the last two sections of this story. The gravelly voice of Granice is starting to bug my throat!

You will likely notice that the sound on this one is different from the past few sections, as I'm using my own mic. I hope that's not too noticeable for anyone trying to listen to the whole book, but this was just so much easier. And much less editing required in this recording space. Now if only they'd let me come in once a week...

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: