EDITING [DR][Hardy Boys #3] The Secret of the Old Mill - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Doug42 wrote: December 29th, 2023, 7:15 pm No problem - here is the update file
Ah, let's try that Smuff file one more time. It's really too easy to click on the wrong file, isn't it?
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

redrun wrote: December 29th, 2023, 7:27 pm
Doug42 wrote: December 29th, 2023, 7:15 pm No problem - here is the update file
Ah, let's try that Smuff file one more time. It's really too easy to click on the wrong file, isn't it?
Just a slip of the finger on the mouse... :oops: okay, here's Detective Snuff (for real this time!)
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/secretoftheoldmill_19_smuff.mp3 Time: 25 secs.

*** Doug
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Doug42 wrote: December 30th, 2023, 10:22 am Just a slip of the finger on the mouse... :oops: okay, here's Detective Snuff (for real this time!)
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/secretoftheoldmill_19_smuff.mp3 Time: 25 secs.
That'll do it, and thanks again! :thumbs:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Jazbees wrote: January 1st, 2024, 12:58 pm Paul Blum is ready to go:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/secretoftheoldmill_11_paulblum.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/secretoftheoldmill_12_paulblum.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/secretoftheoldmill_13_paulblum.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/secretoftheoldmill_15_paulblum.mp3

I caught a few mis-reads as I was editing, but IMO they don't change the meaning, so I'm crossing my fingers they'll be acceptable.
Thank you Justin, I expect I can PL these this afternoon, and I'll let you know if I want any tweaks. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Jazbees wrote: January 1st, 2024, 12:58 pm Paul Blum is ready to go:
All lines for Paul Blum: PL OK! :thumbs:

No changes needed, the meaning comes through quite nicely! Thank you for doing another role for us!
It's time to motor on book 2, the lines are coming in here faster than expected. :mrgreen:
DullBoi

Post by DullBoi »

Hello! Sorry it took me so long to get back; I was traveling a lot last week and didn't have much time to get on the forums. But my test recording got approved, so I should be good to go. I'll get my parts in here in the next few days. Thanks!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

DullBoi wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:59 pm Hello! Sorry it took me so long to get back; I was traveling a lot last week and didn't have much time to get on the forums. But my test recording got approved, so I should be good to go. I'll get my parts in here in the next few days. Thanks!
Excellent! I've got you added into the system as a reader, and your new catalog page will be updated with any projects you join:
https://librivox.org/reader/19186
I have you in as 'DullBoi' to match your forum name, but if you'd like to be credited as another name, I can update it for you.

All the instructions are in the first post, but a few tips on reading them:
- When it comes to the intro, and to naming your files, you're in an "individual role". We won't have you read the LV disclaimer, just your voice credit for each character.
- That 3+ seconds of silence separating each line will be very helpful when it comes time for me to edit things together!
- If you haven't already read tbe fine print, you should be warned that recording roles can be habit forming! :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

DullBoi wrote: January 9th, 2024, 3:56 pm Awesome, thank you! I've just finished recording the parts. Please let me know what there is here that I can improve on.
And, thank you! I've got these on my list to Proof-Listen. I expect to have some time on Thursday evening, and I'll get back to you with any changes. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

DullBoi wrote: January 9th, 2024, 3:56 pm Awesome, thank you! I've just finished recording the parts. Please let me know what there is here that I can improve on.
Off the bat: both roles get the Proof-Listener OK! :thumbs:
For the performances, I think you nailed both, and I like how easily I can tell the characters apart!
I also like how consistent you were with your spacing, you'll be one of the easy ones to edit. :D

I don't need any changes at all, but per your request, here are some things I use that might also work well for you.

One thing you'll want to watch in future is the volume - these files are, according to this handy Checker tool, just a couple dB on the quiet side. I'm seeing volumes from 84-86dB, where we want from 86-92dB for finished recordings. Since your volumes are even and consistent, you might like the 'Loudness Normalization' feature on Audacity to make the adjustments for you. It's quick and easy, and I use it all the time. :wink:

One other thing I never go without is 'Noise Reduction', to get rid of the fan noise in my recording space. Checker suggests you have a 'moderate' level of background noise, so your future recordings could also benefit.

That's all I can think of, and I hope you find some of it useful. In any case, thank you for joining in our Dramatic Reading, and I hope to hear from you again! Happy reading! :mrgreen:
BlueStar

Post by BlueStar »

Hi, I need to request an extension on my due date for recording number six, Chet Morton's part. I lost my voice for a bit and am super behind. My voice is back in working order now though so I should have the recordings to you by the end of the month if that's alright.

Thank you,
BlueStar
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

BlueStar wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:02 am Hi, I need to request an extension on my due date for recording number six, Chet Morton's part. I lost my voice for a bit and am super behind. My voice is back in working order now though so I should have the recordings to you by the end of the month if that's alright.

Thank you,
BlueStar
That will work just fine, thank you for checking in!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you Jenn, queued for PL. :D