[COMPLETE] Letters from New Zealand, 1857–1911 - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 2 has the short introduction as noted.

Section 3 is a spot PL.
3:08 you say “stacks” instead of stalks; I feel that this needs a correction in a long description about housing structures and materials.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

lightcrystal wrote: October 14th, 2023, 6:01 pm Section 3 is a spot PL.
3:08 you say “stacks” instead of stalks; I feel that this needs a correction in a long description about housing structures and materials.
Replaced. Same length.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: October 19th, 2023, 11:11 pm
lightcrystal wrote: October 14th, 2023, 6:01 pm Section 3 is a spot PL.
Replaced. Same length.
Thank you and noted.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 3 is PL OK! :thumbs:

I am amazed at the descriptions of riding a horse through the creeks and rivers. I have done kayaking. Once I missed a turn and fell out. I was swept along the whole river to the end. I can tell you that nobody on the planet could fight the current no matter what strength of swimmer; you're going where the river wants you to go. That wasn't even white water. I had a kayak instructor who had done what's called level 4 kayaking; there are 5 levels of danger in a river and level 5 is death wish. He'd gone to the Himalayas and done level 4 which is almost death wish. Where I fell out was level 1 or 2.
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

lightcrystal wrote: October 19th, 2023, 11:21 pm Section 3 is PL OK! :thumbs:

I am amazed at the descriptions of riding a horse through the creeks and rivers. I have done kayaking. Once I missed a turn and fell out. I was swept along the whole river to the end. I can tell you that nobody on the planet could fight the current no matter what strength of swimmer; you're going where the river wants you to go. That wasn't even white water. I had a kayak instructor who had done what's called level 4 kayaking; there are 5 levels of danger in a river and level 5 is death wish. He'd gone to the Himalayas and done level 4 which is almost death wish. Where I fell out was level 1 or 2.
I've done a level 3 back when I did Outward Bound. Kayak flipped, so I did the standard release and twist. Drained the kayak and had to get back in at the same place. Flipped again. Didn't help that the river was in spate as well. We set up the tents and found a different stream the next day and I managed the 3 metre drop midstream on the second go, to my relief.

Fortunately, I've never had to swim a horse across a river. The South Island rivers are braided with some very swift streams interspersed with ever shifting islets made of drift stones and rocks and there are some that I would never enter—particularly the Molyneux, or Clutha as it is now called.
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Didn't mean for this to take a month, but have had a somewhat hectic month.

Section 4 uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/lettersfromnewzealand_04_harper_128kb.mp3 35:34
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: November 20th, 2023, 12:57 am Didn't mean for this to take a month, but have had a somewhat hectic month.

Section 4 uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/lettersfromnewzealand_04_harper_128kb.mp3 35:34
PL Spot check: at the start in the first 1/4 of a second or so there is a noticeable "thwump". It sounds like something being plugged in? Hot plugging a microphone? I put the file in my DAW [Reaper] and it's there right from the start. I feel that it would satisfy the "half to one second of silence" to edit it out. Then you start speaking at the right point. In Reaper I would press S at the start to make a section and drag the volume of the section down and make silence. But in your DAW you might do it differently.

A very nice read. Maybe some of these places mentioned still exist such as the mentioned "Christ's College in Classics and Divinity?"
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

lightcrystal wrote: November 20th, 2023, 4:15 am PL Spot check: at the start in the first 1/4 of a second or so there is a noticeable "thwump". It sounds like something being plugged in? Hot plugging a microphone? I put the file in my DAW [Reaper] and it's there right from the start. I feel that it would satisfy the "half to one second of silence" to edit it out. Then you start speaking at the right point. In Reaper I would press S at the start to make a section and drag the volume of the section down and make silence. But in your DAW you might do it differently.

A very nice read. Maybe some of these places mentioned still exist such as the mentioned "Christ's College in Classics and Divinity?"
File replaced, now 35:34.

To me a Daw is type of bird and a Reaper is a Dr. Who monster. I'm a simple chap and just use Audacity.

Christ's College is indeed still in existence as one of our oldest high schools. My own school had something of a rivalry and we had annual interschool matches.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 4 is PL OK! You fixed that like Lance Cairns hitting a monster cover drive over the fence :thumbs:
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Letters 5 & 6 uploaded. 31:02 & 38:02 respectively.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 6 is PL OK.

Section 5 is Spot PL: at 29:41 you do a "lane change" of combining everybody/everyone. It needs to be everyone
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

lightcrystal wrote: November 26th, 2023, 4:44 pm Section 6 is PL OK.

Section 5 is Spot PL: at 29:41 you do a "lane change" of combining everybody/everyone. It needs to be everyone
Replaced whole sentence
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 5 is PL OK.

One thing to note though is that I did hear some background noise; I ran the Checker and got a higher background noise level than in prior sections. This was the first section when I noticed any. It sounded like faint TV or people talking. I haven't been using my headphones. I will still leave it as PL OK. It's your choice if you want to reduce the background noise. I would if I were doing it.

Nice voices though! :thumbs:
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

lightcrystal wrote: November 27th, 2023, 8:27 pm Section 5 is PL OK.

One thing to note though is that I did hear some background noise; I ran the Checker and got a higher background noise level than in prior sections. This was the first section when I noticed any. It sounded like faint TV or people talking. I haven't been using my headphones. I will still leave it as PL OK. It's your choice if you want to reduce the background noise. I would if I were doing it.

This was heavy rain on the roof in the last part of this letter. I was able to remove most of it in the first upload, but dropping the new sentence into the middle meant that it has been challenging to take it out without making my voice go tinny and hollow.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: November 27th, 2023, 8:33 pm
lightcrystal wrote: November 27th, 2023, 8:27 pm Section 5 is PL OK.

This was heavy rain on the roof in the last part of this letter. I was able to remove most of it in the first upload, but dropping the new sentence into the middle meant that it has been challenging to take it out without making my voice go tinny and hollow.
OK, in that case you are probably safe to leave it as it is.