Fixed]Cover for Dalehouse Murder

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Going back to that step is exactly what the 'derive' process Tricia mentioned is supposed to do. It's automated by Archive.org, and it's what does the zipping.

I'll see what it looks like on my PC, and if there's a difference, perhaps that will spark some new ideas.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Aha.

Another thought. If Tricia's attempt to derive failed, and if a potential second effort to derive also fails, it seems to me there must be a step yet prior to the so-called derive. I refer to the moment at which there really exist only the individual chapter files and the cover art file. Surely those either still exist in their original form, or could be extracted or separated out.

Wouldn't this make it possible to create a new zip file starting from scratch? And wouldn't this be quite different from trusting the software built into a given zip file to do the job?

I've got no experience on the technical side of this, so if this is gibberish, please forgive in advance. Also count on me to continue downloading until I get the right cover, goldernit. 8-)
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There's no zip file sitting there waiting to download. Archive generates it on the fly whenever someone asks for one. So there's no re-assembly.

I think the only way to fix it - if it still needs fixing - would be to recatalog the project: redo the whole Archive page, send the files over there fresh. But I'm not sure it's worth the work to fix the image that Archive is pulling from somewhere for zips.

I'm trying one more thing (deleting all the extra files that Archive creates from our cover upload, then deriving again). If this doesn't work, we're stuck.

EDIT: Redrun may try some other magic. Stay tuned.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but if you are thinking of leaving the cover as is, that won't work. It is the cover of another project, the recollections of Johannes Brahms, and has not only that title but also the reader.

Good luck! Anyhow, I remain on the edge of my seat. 8-)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Odd; I tried to download the zipped file from our catalogue page and got an error message: "missing required path parameter".

It's late here; I'll try again tomorrow.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's because RR deleted the files and is doing a whole new derive. Note the 64kbps files aren't there yet: https://archive.org/details/dalehouse_murder_2309_librivox
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Yep. Avoiding that exact confusion would be one reason not to re-derive wherever it can be helped. It's also a fair bit of work, but we'll see whether it pays off!

I'd estimate we'll find out for sure in perhaps another two or three hours. It looks promising so far.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I know how - I just asked Tricia to rederive because I needed my beauty sleep so all will be well sometime and it is really fairly unlikely to happen again .

Anne
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Well, my LV wizard friends, let me do my bit.

I just tried, and am unable to download. Message on phone and computer is download failed

According to last reports the problem should be solved by 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. Eastern today, at which time I will again download the file and report what happens.
:?
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just wait till we give the OK - you can still listen, the images are just cake icing (or frosting or whatever Canadians call it. Archive wheels can grind slowly when there is a heap of traffic and there are no alternative routes.

Anne
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Annise,

I will listen until you give me the word.

(Braves Maedle.)

8-)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Seems to have fixed - if you want to check make sure all your caches etc are cleared but I'm confident it is OK.

Anne
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

8-) :D :wink: :9:

I need not interpret

:clap:
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!