Question regarding archive.org

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Hello all!
I have read sections for works where the source document was at archive.org. The link on the first post of the work, would take me there and the document was always available with no difficulty.

Recently, I found a book I'd like to record that is available on archive.org. When I tried to access the book, I had to set up an account, and, it seems like the text would only be available for a short amount of time. ..as if borrowing from a library. Am I missing something? How are books found at archive.org available indefinitely?

Thanks.
Martha
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Generally those books on borrow are still under copyright protection (that is, not Public Domain). Only books in the Public Domain (PD) in the U.S. can be recorded for LibriVox.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

DACSoft wrote: September 30th, 2023, 8:32 am Generally those books on borrow are still under copyright protection (that is, not Public Domain). Only books in the Public Domain (PD) in the U.S. can be recorded for LibriVox.
Ah, thank you! I was pretty sure it was in the public domain. ..published in 1861...so I guess I need to do more research. Are there other sites that are frequently used other than archive.org and project Gutenberg.?
Thanks again for your help!
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Those are the two most popular, I think. When I produce ebooks for Project Gutenberg, I also use HathiTrust Digital (www.hathitrust.org) or Google Books (https://books.google.com/).

The one at archive.org, may be a reprint with some current content, and with a more current copyright. If you want to give the title, I can check the sources I use for a PD copy.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

DACSoft wrote: September 30th, 2023, 9:07 am Those are the two most popular, I think. When I produce ebooks for Project Gutenberg, I also use HathiTrust Digital (www.hathitrust.org) or Google Books (https://books.google.com/).

The one at archive.org, may be a reprint with some current content, and with a more current copyright. If you want to give the title, I can check the sources I use for a PD copy.
How kind! Thank you!

The Breath of Life, by George Catlin

I have found several sites that sayit is in the public domain, but they link to reproductions that are under copyright.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

InTheDesert wrote: September 30th, 2023, 9:34 am This copy seems to work for me:
https://archive.org/details/breathoflifeorma00catl/
Thank you so much! That was the copy I found that was giving me trouble...this time I tried it on my computer instead of my tablet. .no problem at all! Thank you again for your help!