[COMPLETE] Essays Collection #01 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The White Rose Road is PL OK. Thanks, Elsie. Yes, I grew up in a rural community, on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain. All our neighbors had fishing boats, and piers jutting out into the water, with crab traps to check each day, and spotlights you could turn on from the kitchen to attract the trout at night if you intended to fish. Mom and I would cast our lines out in the evenings and in 30 minutes or less would pull in enough for dinner, plus more to fillet for the freezer. Later, my mother in law and I would wade out into the swamp near her old family home to set crawfish traps we baited with chicken necks, make the rounds 30 minutes later to find a dozen crawdads in each trap, come home with a sack full and a mess of blackberries to make a cobbler. Those were good times. Now that I'm a city girl, and it's 60 years later, I buy pond raised catfish from the grocery store when they are on sale, and gasp at the high prices of trout fillets, crawfish ($5/lb. right now) and blackberries!

This started out as a descriptive travelogue -- not what I'd call an essay -- but she did wind up pleading for the preservation of the countryside, after whipping us up to an appetite for it. A clever ruse! :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes for Looking Back On Girlhood

9:03 and told him that his Grace the Duke of Clarence, you say took
10:53 "Don't try to write about people and things, tell them just as they are!" The italicized word (as in the text) is meant to be emphasized, I think.
11:41 gaieté de coeur, no need to change, but my French mother pronounced gay'-e-tay', with the e subdued but clearly audible. Farvo and How To Pronounce speakers seem to say gay-tay, as you did.
14:16 that I was to write of those country characters and rural landscapes, you say to
14:26 I was between nineteen and twenty, between is missing

Ah yes, the seafarers yarns, frequent dinner guests, and the charming, caring country doctors who made house calls. My doctor today has not one ounce of charm, zero interest in me, prefers video visits, which he cuts off at 15 minutes, and says he's not allowed to listen to more that 3 complaints per visit.

And looking for the author's point, I find this imbedded in her autiobiographical sketch: "I long to impress upon every boy and girl this truth: that it is not one's surroundings that can help or hinder—it is having a growing purpose in one's life to make the most of whatever is in one's reach.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

msfry wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:40 pm PL Notes for Looking Back On Girlhood

10:53 "Don't try to write about people and things, tell them just as they are!" The italicized word (as in the text) is meant to be emphasized, I think.
11:41 gaieté de coeur, no need to change, but my French mother pronounced gay'-e-tay', with the e subdued but clearly audible. Farvo and How To Pronounce speakers seem to say gay-tay, as you did.
14:16 that I was to write of those country characters and rural landscapes, you say to

Ah yes, the seafarers yarns, frequent dinner guests, and the charming, caring country doctors who made house calls. My doctor today has not one ounce of charm, zero interest in me, prefers video visits, which he cuts off at 15 minutes, and says he's not allowed to listen to more that 3 complaints per visit.

And looking for the author's point, I find this imbedded in her autiobiographical sketch: "I long to impress upon every boy and girl this truth: that it is not one's surroundings that can help or hinder—it is having a growing purpose in one's life to make the most of whatever is in one's reach.
Wow - what an unpleasant doctor's visit. Only 15 minutes and no more than 3 complaints per visit? :( That's a recipe for the doctor not actually helping you.

I will get the corrections to you tomorrow :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

msfry wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:40 pm PL Notes for Looking Back On Girlhood

Apologies for being a day later than I promised, but here is the corrected file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_lookingbackongirlhood_jewett_es_128kb.mp3 (15:15)
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
msfry

Post by msfry »

That's alright. Just one more thing.

14:16 "that I was to write of those country characters and rural landscapes", you still say to. (I can't envision writing to rural landscapes.) :mrgreen:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

msfry wrote: March 19th, 2024, 1:46 pm That's alright. Just one more thing.

14:16 "that I was to write of those country characters and rural landscapes", you still say to. (I can't envision writing to rural landscapes.) :mrgreen:
Oh whoops! I'll fix it (correctly this time :oops: )
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Elsie. PL OK, and that's a wrap on Collection #1. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina, I have tweaked the summary this morning, and that done, I think this is ready to catalog. The cover is already made.

I will post Collection #2 to the Launch Pad today, with RAP in the subject line, and the experiment will continue. Thank you.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Great! I'll start prepping for cataloguing! If no issues in the process, I'll post again when it's complete!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I do have one question. Do you have a preference regarding the order of the recordings? I usually go by alphabetical order in the other collections I coordinate, but I thought I'd ask your preference; it can be alphabetical, chronological (in the order they were submitted), or you can move sections around in the Magic Window to create the order you prefer.
In the case of alphabetical order, the filenames remain as they are, in the other cases, the filenames will be renamed during cataloguing with a number to retain the preferred order, as essays1_##_various_128kb
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hmmm. I think I'd like to rearrange them up myself -- varying length, reader, subject matter, etc. Keep it scrambled up. I didn't know I could do that. Will do now. Thanks.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Nice! We can also add some keywords if you'd like!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 20th, 2024, 8:04 am Nice! We can also add some keywords if you'd like!
So if the essay title includes the author's name, will a keyword search see that? For instance, will a search for Charles Darwin, come up with his essay in this collection? If so, would the keyword "Charles Darwin" be necessary?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

In a collection like this all recordings are individually searchable, a work will be linked to its author, and it will come up in a "title" search for any word contained in its section title. It will be visible on the Author's page in the catalogue, but it will not come up in a "keyword" search for the author's name. By "keyword" search, I mean the "keywords" box in the Advanced Search form.

For instance, if the section title is "The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin", the recording will come up in a search in the search box on the home page for terms like "origin", "Charles Darwin", "species", etc.
In the Advanced Search form, the "keywords" search only looks into the keywords, but I would use keywords to describe the topics presented in a work, rather than the author, unless it's an autobiography :mrgreen:

Basically the main search box on the Home Page searches into titles, authors and readers. And the keywords we add are used in the "Keywords" search in the Advanced Search (and also in an archive.org search)