Post by msfry »

Thanks, Christine.
msfry

Post by msfry »

A New Declaration is PL OK. It certainly made me clutch my pearls! :shock:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: September 29th, 2023, 9:42 am
Maybe you'll be first to contribute! I reckon you know where the best essays are hidden. :)
[/quote]

Well, I certainly was not the first to post something, but now near the last. :roll:

I get so committed to collaborative projects that I feel guilty taking time to record for collections. But, my "to record" list is shorter than it's been in a long time, so thought I'd take time for at least a short essay.

The Fun of Writing by Christopher Morley (from his book of essays, "The Powder of Sympathy"
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/67188
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_funofwritiing_morley_lcw_128kb.mp3 5:04

I've been reading through the forum posts and you have certainly had some lively discussions! :lol:
I think the essay is almost a lost art. Of course good journalism is dead. The internet has killed them both. Now we have click bait drivel and boggy blogs. Well, except for my brother whose blogs are masterfully written essays.

What is an essay, and what is simply nonfiction? We argued in forensic speech about whether a piece was to be in oratory or the expository category. Good exposition can persuade. So, is a written sermon an essay? So, Morley, who never wrote anything serious in his life, gives us this little piece on the fun of writing.

Don't know if I'll have time for another one. Popping down to Mexico again this week for a few days with our medical team to help out with a clinic there.

I'll have something ready for the next volume of essays, for sure.
Thanks for putting this together, Michelle!

PS: Laptop sitting on the puzzle we put together this evening. :)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Fun of Writing is PL OK Thanks, Larry. It was fun.

I didn't get notification of your essay submission yesterday. I have subscription issues sometimes. I will unsubscribe, and re-subscribe, as usual.

Defining what an "essay" is, appears to be somewhat subjective. But still, you know when somebody is giving their decided opinion on a topic, trying to illustrate a point, convince you of something, rather than just entertaining, telling a story, or giving a history lesson. Sometimes humor can drive home a point, as this one surely did.
GlennCarruthers

Post by GlennCarruthers »

msfry wrote: March 9th, 2024, 12:02 pm PL Notes for The Problem of Consciousness

This long file took awhile for me to get through. Had to do it in small gulps. Nothing against your delivery, it just reminded me of my experience PL'ing John Dewey, whose layers upon layers of qualifying remarks I found hard to follow. You did amazingly well with a tedious task, Glenn. Thank you for your contribution. That said, here are some notes:

.27 with reference to that phase of the subject matter, you say phrase
4:59 you say "which in addition were defined by definition", delete "defined"
15:33 is that typified by the usual stimulus-response situation, you say type of
23:18 - 20 Volume leaps up by 8.4 dB over 89dB, recommend de-amplifying -5 to match surrounding text
23:26 - :31 Volume leaps up by 7.7 dB, recommend de-amplifying -4 to match surrounding text
23:40 - 24:11 Volume drops by -2.2 dB, recommend amplifying this segment by +3 to match surrounding text
34:51 In the two fundamental cases, you say true
35:02 not be thought crucial., be is missing
37:40 in terms of peripherally initiated neural processes, you say instantiated
50:04 other behavior of the A-type, you say TAY-type

Please make these corrections from back to front (so as not to mess with the time stamps as you make the changes), reupload your corrected file, and post notice here with the new time.

Here is one observation which I understood perfectly:

"A child who has had his attention called to certain colors and who is, at the same time, given a name for these colors, is more likely to identify them in later experience than if no name had been given. The name serves as an incentive to the concentration of attention upon a particular phase of experience which would otherwise be lost in the general mass of sensations. Without the word, the possibility of dwelling upon the single phase of experience in thought would be small. This is the reason why the retention of facts in memory is so closely related to the naming of objects."

As a lifelong Montessori teacher, I spent many years "labeling the environment" for hundreds of children. For example, when a child paints a picture, Mommy naturally says "That's beautiful" and hangs it on the fridge. At parent/teacher meetings I taught them to quit judging and start describing/teaching, "I see a diagonal blue line coming from the upper corner of the paper. It crosses over this big red circle in the middle. Are those green dots at the bottom grass?"

This year I set myself the task to identify all the different kinds of sparrows that visit my feeders. Once the field guide points out the white circle around the eye of one type, the black line just over the eye of another type, a red beak, white tipped wings, or the shorter v-shaped tail of another type, only then do I notice it, and how valuable the labelling process is.
Hi again Michele,
here is the new link
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_theproblemofconsciousness_hunter_gc_128kb.mp3
the new time is 69:18

i've made all the suggested changes, hopefully the new sections don't hae issues with volume, I've done my best to match them. You're right it's a tough piece, I found it interesting because these days we tend to acceptthe idea that behaviourists ignored consciousness, but as this shows that isn't true.

That level of detailed labelling you're describing sounds intense to me! Are you a visual artists by any chance?

all the best
Glenn
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Glenn. I look forward to listening tomorrow.

Yes, words are important. Without words, without definitions, we drift about aimlessly, blindly, in ignorance. But too many words feels like beating a thing to death. Ah, how to strike a balance is always a problem, especially as the need differs from person to person, and words are differently defined. My performance dogs beg to be given verbal commands, but lack of words doesn't seem to bother my cats at all! :shock: :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Problem of Consciousness is PL OK. Great edits, Glenn, especially your finding the one at 58:03 that I time-stamped 50:03. :oops:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Here are two essays to finish out the collection:

The White Rose Road by Sarah Orne Jewett (1889)
file: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_whiteroseroad_jewett_es_128kb.mp3 (26:37)
text: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/15294/pg15294-images.html#id_2H_Part2

Looking Back on Girlhood by Sarah Orne Jewett (1892)
file: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_lookingbackongirlhood_jewett_es_128kb.mp3 (15:12)
text: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/15294/pg15294-images.html#id_2H_Part2

Note: I linked to the inside of the Gutenberg text since both essays are added on to the end of a novel. If you prefer to link the Gutenberg text's main page, it is this: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15294
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Elsie! I look forward to listening soon. :)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

:clap: If the collection is now closed, because the Magic Window is full, we can change the subject line. Or would you like to add more sections?
GlennCarruthers

Post by GlennCarruthers »

msfry wrote: March 14th, 2024, 6:55 am The Problem of Consciousness is PL OK. Great edits, Glenn, especially your finding the one at 58:03 that I time-stamped 50:03. :oops:
all good, it only took me three tries to find it :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 16th, 2024, 1:24 pm :clap: If the collection is now closed, because the Magic Window is full, we can change the subject line. Or would you like to add more sections?
I marked it FULL, and edited the summary. 20 makes a nice collection, I think. And while it took 6 months to fill it, I'd like to begin Collection #2. Would you be willing/able to MC that one, too?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, of course! Include my tag, - rap, in the subject line when you post it in the launch pad, and I'll set it up.
msfry

Post by msfry »

:D :9: