[COMPLETE] Essays Collection #01 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

bobpliley wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:22 am Re. Link to the Darwinian hypothesis,

I put together what I thought may be a link: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2927/pg2927

I’m making this up as I go along.
Did you read from a hard copy, i.e., not an online text?

Part of how LibriVox works is we have to read word for word from texts provable to be Public Domain. We trust in Gutenberg, Internet Archive, Hiatha Trust and a few other online sources to verify that. I suppose I can proof listen your recording using the link you gave here, and hope for the best, though the gutenberg credits say: "This eBook was converted to HTML, with additional editing, by Jose Menendez
from the text edition produced by Amy E. Zelmer."

If I run across any substantial deviations, I will have to cite them and ask for corrections.
bobpliley

Post by bobpliley »

I got this selection from Gutenberg...from the Plain Text UTF-8...once I got to it, I printed it off my printer...hopefully we’re are in the same pew but if there are corrections, it’s all good practice for me anyway. I’ll wait for your comments.thanks bp
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Darwinian Hypothesis

An interesting essay, well read! Thank you. :thumbs:

The text tracks just fine, so now on to my notes. These are the items that seemed significant enough to mention:

13:23 these indu-bi-ta-ble facts, you say in-du-ta-ble, your choice to correct, it just stuck out to me.
13:52 "Professor Owen, who, speaking of such cases, says (_On the Nature of Limbs_, pp. 39, 40): “I think ..." - you left out the parenthetical remark. While we can choose to ignore footnotes, we are required to include everything appearing in the body of the text, (except captions on photos, which are optional).
17:35 the mud of which the rocks are formed, you say plants
25:16 the logical form of the doctrine, you say logic
39:15 the species B and C will be successively derived from A., you say successfully

Lastly, your file name must be the same as shown in the First Post.
essays1_title_authorslastname_readersinitials_128kb
Note: Every chapter in an audiobook must be exactly the same for the program to line sections up correctly. I always recommend copying and pasting rather than trying to type the filename. Thus your

darwinianhypothesis_huxley_128kb.mp3
should be
essays1_darwinianhypothesis_huxley_bpl_128kb.mp3

After making your edits, save with the correct file name, upload with new time. I'll spot PL it at that time and get back with you soon.
bobpliley

Post by bobpliley »

did you receive my corrected submission
msfry

Post by msfry »

bobpliley wrote: February 19th, 2024, 8:43 am did you receive my corrected submission
No and Oops! I should have mentioned to paste the newly named link into a new post in this thread, along with the new time, so I can access it.
bobpliley

Post by bobpliley »

msfry

Post by msfry »

The Darwinian Hypothesis is PL OK, and your editing skills are impressive! Thank you for contributing, Bob.

Now, being as you and I are the only beings hanging out in this project at the moment, I wonder if you'd be willing to proof listening my latest submission, Freedom and Enterprise by F. A. Harper,. It's not hard, just a bit time consuming, so I'll understand if you say no.

If Yes, here is my post about it (right-click and open in a new tab): viewtopic.php?p=2296733#p2296733
When you open it, right-click my audio file to save to your computer, open in Audacity or some audio program that shows the timestamp. Right-click the text link and listen along, making sure the Intro and Outro conform to the First Post, notating anything missing from the text or that strikes you as "off". It does not have to be Word Perfect. I usually open NotePad to compose my PL Notes, stating the time of an error first, then give a brief explanation and some context, as I did with yours above. Then I hit Post Reply in this thread, copy and paste my notes into a new message, Preview til I like it, then Submit.

Proof listening is a good skill to have as Librivox is always in need of volunteers to help out. Even if you never DPL a whole project, you can pitch in once in awhile, like here because of course, I can't proof listen my own files. Some of our volunteers ONLY proof listen!!!!!

And, congrats on a job well done -- finding interesting material, recording it, naming, uploading and submitting it, correcting it, and learning your way around the LV playground. There is a learning curve, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
bobpliley

Post by bobpliley »

marry,

As per your request, I will dip my toe into this PL stuff. I am clearly and reasonably intimidated by this new “LV” culture and I left the PC (and Windows) world in the mid 90’s. I’m willing to multitask with Adobe Audition, LV, and reacquainting withPC/windows….so yes, PLing might just be a lot of fun. I’ll get going first thing in the morning

bp
msfry

Post by msfry »

Great! Thanks. I hope you enjoy the article. It sounds like it was written yesterday, describing today.
bobpliley

Post by bobpliley »

msfry,

I do not know how to get into MW to indicate PL OK. I listened to your recording.....such a good job...I thought I was good....I've got a fair ways to go, but I haven't really read aloud for probably 15 years....got to get back into the practice of it

I looked for mistakes, etc. there were none.

thank you for this opportunity--bp
msfry

Post by msfry »

bobpliley wrote: February 20th, 2024, 1:45 pm msfry,

I do not know how to get into MW to indicate PL OK. I listened to your recording.....such a good job...I thought I was good....I've got a fair ways to go, but I haven't really read aloud for probably 15 years....got to get back into the practice of it

I looked for mistakes, etc. there were none.

thank you for this opportunity--bp
Thank you for that nice compliment. You sound just fine yourself and I hope to hear more from you soon. As to the MW, only the MC, BC and DPL have access. People who help in other ways post their results in the project thread as you did here, and we update the MW for you.
bobpliley

Post by bobpliley »

10-4
TatsuMJ

Post by TatsuMJ »

Hello🖐

I was wondering if, for the purpose of this project ¿it's valid to use essays from this website?

The website: https://publicdomainreview.org/

Or is it preferable to use essays from "Project Gutenberg " or "The Internet Archive"?

Thanks
msfry

Post by msfry »

TatsuMJ wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 11:40 am Hello🖐

I was wondering if, for the purpose of this project ¿it's valid to use essays from this website?

Or is it preferable to use essays from "Project Gutenberg " or "The Internet Archive"?

Thanks
Thanks for asking. Good Question. You'd think from the title they were publishing PD essays, but I believe they are publishing current essays/articles about Public Domain material. This new material would not qualify, of course, but I've used Public Domain Review to discover interesting PD material, then went looking for it on Gutenberg, IA, or Hathi Trust, and found it. Part of the fun of Librivox is sleuthing around. :D

If you name the essay you have in mind, Rapunzelina or I can maybe help you find it.
TatsuMJ

Post by TatsuMJ »

msfry wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 1:43 pm
TatsuMJ wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 11:40 am Hello🖐

Thanks
Thanks for asking. Good Question. You'd think from the title they were publishing PD essays, but I believe they are publishing current essays/articles about Public Domain material. This new material would not qualify, of course, but I've used Public Domain Review to discover interesting PD material, then went looking for it on Gutenberg, IA, or Hathi Trust, and found it. Part of the fun of Librivox is sleuthing around. :D

If you name the essay you have in mind, Rapunzelina or I can maybe help you find it.

Oh yes please, I have this 3 titles in mind:

-Clear Shadows (1867)
-Human Forms in Nature: Ernst Haeckel’s Trip to South Asia and Its Aftermath
-Inventing the Recording By Eva Moreda Rodríguez

I found these 3 titles here: https://publicdomainreview.org/

Thanks in advance