COMPLETE: Scientific American Supplement, No. 601, July 9, 1887, by Various - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 14

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
JerratheMage

Post by JerratheMage »

Hello, I'm Bill and I would like to do sections 8 and 9.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JerratheMage wrote: December 30th, 2023, 4:27 pm Hello, I'm Bill and I would like to do sections 8 and 9.
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording! Do take some time to browse the forums to get a feel for how things work and maybe watch a few tutorials.

Here is a direct link to instructions for the one-minute sample recording:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that, post again here and you are free to record for this project. Let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname. Then feel free to claim any available section in a project of your choice.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 5 and 6 are now OPEN
~ Larry
MorphineLolly

Post by MorphineLolly »

May I read section 8?
Also I should ask how do you want me to Handel the illustrations/ the text anounceing them?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MorphineLolly wrote: January 11th, 2024, 9:30 pm May I read section 8?
Also I should ask how do you want me to Handel the illustrations/ the text anounceing them?
Thank you for your interest in this project!
I've put you in for this section

There are no illustrations in this particular section.
There is a table in Section 9, (Part 2 of the article).
Should you want to go on after you've finished this, and it is still open, I'll give you the style for reading the table.

Let me know if you still have questions about any of this.
~ Larry
Lexic0n

Post by Lexic0n »

I gave section 6 a try, if that's all right...
(if not, that's okay, too)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_06_various_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lexic0n wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:52 pm I gave section 6 a try, if that's all right...
(if not, that's okay, too)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_06_various_128kb.mp3
Well, this is highly irregular, to say the least!

Have you read any of the guidelines for participating in LibriVox?
I suggest you read the Newbie Guide to Recording which is linked in the head post of this project.
One of the things you will find there is information on submitting a test recording which is to check your technical specifications and format, so we don't have to deal with it here within an ongoing project. Your recording, unfortunately, fails most of those specifications per this report from our Checker program:

The bit rate should be 128 kbps.  
The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz).  
The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).
The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).

So, there is a lot of work for you to do before we can use this.
There are also a few other things that need correction, but I haven't listened to all of the recording.

Then, there are procedural guidelines that you need to follow. These are also explained in the first post in the thread.
First, we post a request, or claim, to record a particular section. Then, once that is acknowledged by the book coordinator (me in this case) it will be officially assigned and then you are free to record and submit the recording to the project.

My advice is to read the Newbie Guide, (there is also a link to our technical requirements), submit the regular test recording, and once you have the OK on that, check back here to claim an open section. You may need to do a new recording, because this one is set to the wrong sampling rate, and I still haven't found a way to correct that.

Since you have so much to do, I will hold this for a week or so, but not longer. It still may be open, but if not there may be others, and there will also be a new issue of this publication ready to go soon.

We'd love to have you contribute to this project and welcome you to the LibriVox community, so I hope you will work on this. Do ask any questions we can help you with.
~ Larry
Lexic0n

Post by Lexic0n »

Thanks for the thorough feedback. I'd joined awhile ago, and honestly forgot about the Newbie section, etc. Kind of did this on impulse. I don't want to disrespect anyone's time here, so I do apologize for jumping the gun.

I will review the guidelines for participation and explore proper procedure for submissions, work on corrections/redo this, if approved. I'm not the most tech savvy, so I may need to do some research.

Thanks again for the quick response and for pointing me in the right direction.
MorphineLolly

Post by MorphineLolly »

silverquill wrote: January 11th, 2024, 10:23 pm
MorphineLolly wrote: January 11th, 2024, 9:30 pm May I read section 8?
Thank you for your interest in this project!
I've put you in for this section

There are no illustrations in this particular section.
There is a table in Section 9, (Part 2 of the article).
Should you want to go on after you've finished this, and it is still open, I'll give you the style for reading the table.

Let me know if you still have questions about any of this.
Oops I requested the wrong section.... I was reading "Kent's Torsion Balance" but ya know what I will keep it. :thumbs:
Sonrisaj

Post by Sonrisaj »

May I claim section 9 please? Thanks Larry.

Linda
What is laughter? It is the glorious sound of a soul waking up. -- Hafez
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sonrisaj wrote: January 26th, 2024, 4:02 am May I claim section 9 please? Thanks Larry.

Linda
You're in for this!
Thank you
~ Larry
gardenvariety

Post by gardenvariety »

Hello,

Can I please claim section 6 -- Link Belting?
Juniper
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

gardenvariety wrote: February 5th, 2024, 8:05 am Hello,

Can I please claim section 6 -- Link Belting?
You've got it! Thank you so much for volunteering!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
nswanson

Post by nswanson »

Hi, can I claim section 5 if it’s still available?