COMPLETE: Scientific American Supplement, No. 601, July 9, 1887, by Various - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 04

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 07

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 15

Hi AllanO. Thank you for volunteering in this project. I have just finished doing a PL on this. I think some of the settings must have gotten screwy on you.

There are three things to fix.

-The volume is about 106dB and should be about 89dB.
-This file was flagged by the Checker tool for a significant amout of clipping. That is most likely related to the volume being so high.
-remove the _mp3_ from the file name.

Please review and re-upload. Due to the clipping I had some trouble listening to this one so I will have to do a full PL when uploaded again.

Thanks!
Anthony

AllenO

Post by AllenO »

afutterer wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:57 am PL NOTES:

SECTION 15

Hi AllanO. Thank you for volunteering in this project. I have just finished doing a PL on this. I think some of the settings must have gotten screwy on you.

There are three things to fix.

-The volume is about 106dB and should be about 89dB.
-This file was flagged by the Checker tool for a significant amout of clipping. That is most likely related to the volume being so high.
-remove the _mp3_ from the file name.

Please review and re-upload. Due to the clipping I had some trouble listening to this one so I will have to do a full PL when uploaded again.

Thanks!
Yes, I caught that after the upload which is bad on my part for not doing a final listen. In any event, I uploaded a replacement and fixed the filename.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_15_various_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
I've updated the MW with the new link and marked it Ready for PL

Our DPL will give you a report, but the volume is still above our acceptable range.

There is still distortion in the audio, but probably acceptable under LV low standards.

I think you were overdriving your audio gain resulting in an extremely high volume level. So, when you just amplify it down, the out of range part of the audio is clipped off. You will see that be the flattening of the waveform. Everything above and below those flattened parts is lost - clipped off.

Before your next recording, do a couple of tests to make sure the gain is set properly for your set up, so that your volume is closer to our target of 89 dBs (range 86-92)

Thankfully, the huge DC offset is gone.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
AllenO

Post by AllenO »

silverquill wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:02 pm
Thank you!
I've updated the MW with the new link and marked it Ready for PL

Our DPL will give you a report, but the volume is still above our acceptable range.

There is still distortion in the audio, but probably acceptable under LV low standards.

I think you were overdriving your audio gain resulting in an extremely high volume level. So, when you just amplify it down, the out of range part of the audio is clipped off. You will see that be the flattening of the waveform. Everything above and below those flattened parts is lost - clipped off.

Before your next recording, do a couple of tests to make sure the gain is set properly for your set up, so that your volume is closer to our target of 89 dBs (range 86-92)

Thankfully, the huge DC offset is gone.
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I really appreciate the feedback. I thought I had my system finally set up properly, but I obviously need to do more tuning on it. If necessary, I can redo the recording. It's not my intent to put out something substandard. I'll continue to work on it.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AllenO wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 5:57 am
I really appreciate the feedback. I thought I had my system finally set up properly, but I obviously need to do more tuning on it. If necessary, I can redo the recording. It's not my intent to put out something substandard. I'll continue to work on it.
I don't think you'll need to redo this, but let's wait for your full PL report.
It does sometimes take a bit of adjustment before we have the tech stuff down, but then you can relax and enjoy reading!
Thanks for your interest and participation.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

These three sections are poste and Ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_10_various_128kb.mp3 5:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_17_various_128kb.mp3 5:07
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_19_various_128kb.mp3 6:02

In section 19, I included references to the diagram only when necessary to the flow of the description; otherwise they were omitted. And, I know some of my patches were not the best . . .
~ Larry
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 10

PL OK
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 17

PL OK
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 19

PL OK
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 15

The only issue with this recording is the volume. It is a little high at about 93.9dB. The recording should be between 86-92dB so it just needs to come down a little bit and then re-uploaded for the OK.

Excellent reading and thank you for volunteering!
Anthony

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

afutterer wrote: October 24th, 2023, 9:53 am PL NOTES:

SECTION 02

The reading was well done and all technical specs checked out. The only issue is with the title of the file. The title should be "sciamsuppl601july91887_02_various_128kb.mp3". I made the part bold that is missing. Thanks!
Thank you for catching that! I've renamed the file to include the missing 'various'. This was the exact same file as previously uploaded with the incorrect name.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl601july91887_02_various_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I please have 11-14?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Cbteddy wrote: November 14th, 2023, 8:02 pm May I please have 11-14?
Thank you!
I've updated the MW and marked Section 2 Ready for Spot PL

I appreciate your taking this group of sections. :)
Even though it is one long article, I think it works better to do it in parts -- better for reader, proof listener, and the end listener.
~ Larry