Audacity required?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
gorillareader

Post by gorillareader »

To do recordings for Librivox, is the Audacity software required? I have AVS Audio Editor already, and have used it to make voice demos already, for other venues.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Audacity is by no means required - many use it because it's free, it's relatively easy, and enough folks are familiar with it to give good instructions.

You're welcome to use any software you like, so long as you can export MP3 files from it that match our technical specifications. :mrgreen:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

There are endless possible tools that people use. In any serious voice over work the main players are Audacity, Adobe Audition, Reaper and Studio One.
The only DAW that is not suitable is Garageband: it will not export in Mono so it's no use for LibriVox.
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There are probably others too - as was said - we don't ask how you made it, but it is possible that there will be no one here to help you if you have a need - but most software has somewhere you can get help or you can google if you need

Anne
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

And whatever app you use, you may find this helpful: You can pre-check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
karenv

Post by karenv »

I just started but I've been reading some of the tutorials and trying to record so I feel like I know enough to say - I hate Audacity. I can't believe its so hard to edit and you can't just point your cursor in a spot and start recording there. There's got to be software that's better - any recommendations?

-Karenv
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

karenv wrote: October 29th, 2023, 10:01 pm I just started but I've been reading some of the tutorials and trying to record so I feel like I know enough to say - I hate Audacity. I can't believe its so hard to edit and you can't just point your cursor in a spot and start recording there. There's got to be software that's better - any recommendations?

-Karenv
I don't like Audacity either. It's also very destructive; you want a non destructive recording tool. In plain English non destructive means that you can make something come back if you record over it.

I'd recommend Reaper. It's NOT as hard to learn as people say. It is technically free; you get a 60 day trial period and then you can continue with all features. You just get reminded that you should pay the princely sum of 60 dollars for it. I'd start with Booth Junkie's videos on YouTube such as "Record Your First Voiceover in Reaper" [bit dated but OK] . There are so many great beginner courses for it that are free. I like Adam Steel's videos. Reaper Mania with Kenny Goia too. Any issues with it just PM me.
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

lightcrystal wrote: October 29th, 2023, 10:15 pm
karenv wrote: October 29th, 2023, 10:01 pm I just started but I've been reading some of the tutorials and trying to record so I feel like I know enough to say - I hate Audacity. I can't believe its so hard to edit and you can't just point your cursor in a spot and start recording there. There's got to be software that's better - any recommendations?

-Karenv
I don't like Audacity either. It's also very destructive; you want a non destructive recording tool. In plain English non destructive means that you can make something come back if you record over it.

I'd recommend Reaper. It's NOT as hard to learn as people say. It is technically free; you get a 60 day trial period and then you can continue with all features. You just get reminded that you should pay the princely sum of 60 dollars for it. I'd start with Booth Junkie's videos on YouTube such as "Record Your First Voiceover in Reaper" [bit dated but OK] . There are so many great beginner courses for it that are free. I like Adam Steel's videos. Reaper Mania with Kenny Goia too. Any issues with it just PM me.
Ditto Reaper. With rendering presets and filter stacks my post-processing is almost entirely automated. Ideal for punch-and-roll.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
karenv

Post by karenv »

Thanks - downloaded Reaper - will give it a try
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

karenv wrote: October 30th, 2023, 8:12 pm Thanks - downloaded Reaper - will give it a try
Reaper is great, so flexible and configurable and I'm guessing enough Librivoxers use it to offer any help too, though there are so many other resources for help between youtube and the cockos forum: https://forum.cockos.com/

(Usually whenever I wondered if I could do something in Reaper, turns out we can :D ... except one thing--I don't think we can decouple record monitoring from the main outs in order to direct to another channel set specifically for headphone monitoring. I had to use a workaround of a separate monitor only track, which isn't ideal)
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Another plug for Reaper. I've used it for years for VO projects, but only recently began to dig into configuring it to make LV project setup and export more streamlined. I've now got a project template with all of my preferred tracks and their settings ready to go, along with render presets to make export a little easier. Some of these things only save a few seconds, but it's more about the peace of mind knowing that everything is consistent.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
karenv

Post by karenv »

It's too complicated for me. I'm going to have to make Audacity work. Thanks for the info though.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

karenv wrote: November 4th, 2023, 7:52 pm It's too complicated for me. I'm going to have to make Audacity work. Thanks for the info though.
You originally mentioned wanting to place your cursor and just start recording there. And you may have already come across this feature, but if not, you might try Punch and Roll, which comes built in to newer versions of Audacity. (Not extremely new, but I couldn't tell you which versions for sure.)

Here is a video that I made a few years back about how to use this feature. The video quality itself is not great, because I understand video much less than I understand audio. But it is enough to show you how it works.
EDoak

Post by EDoak »

I agree that Reaper is a great DAW with a lot of flexibility and customization. I find it to be an all-in-one tool for my audio editing and recording needs. It would be convenient to have a separate channel for headphone monitoring, separate from the main outputs
This is where my inspiration comes from http://www.emedia.am/az/
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

EDoak wrote: November 8th, 2023, 3:56 am I agree that Reaper is a great DAW with a lot of flexibility and customization. I find it to be an all-in-one tool for my audio editing and recording needs. It would be convenient to have a separate channel for headphone monitoring, separate from the main outputs
I should have clarified as I meant the track output routing as opposed to strictly main outs (usually the same for my main recording track). It would be handy because I am always forgetting to turn down the speakers when recording (and have 2 headphone outs on my interface with my tracking ones in different channels) and end up with feedback when tracking/monitoring through the DAW. The way I have it setup now it works to only get sound on speakers when playing back but not when recording (where I still get sound through headphones) but I have to reconfigure for auto-punch recording.