[COMPLETE]The Boy Scouts Afoot in France, by Herbert Carter - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 20 needs a few edits.

The volume is too low, it is currently at 83.3 dB, we need this to be around 89 dB. If you could amplify by 6 dB, then you will be right around that target.
The bit rate is at 87 kbps and variable, this needs to be changed to 128 kbps and constant.

The beginning silence is too long. It is currently about 5 seconds long, this needs to be trimmed down to between 0.5 and 1 second.
At 8:28-:32 is a stumble that needs to be clipped out.
At 14:30-:32 is another stumble needing to be clipped out.
The end silence is about 2-3 seconds long, this needs to be extend to about 5 to 6 seconds.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 21 needs a lot of help.

You stated that your recording is 10:42 in length, when it is actually 17:56.

You start right in the middle of the text. So, you are missing the full intro and...
It was worse than on the other occasion when, seated on those gun caissons with the French soldiers, they fled through a hurricane of bursting shells. In connection with that never-to-be-forgotten episode their backs were turned toward the place from which the unseen German gunners were bombarding the enemy lines; and consequently they had the comforting feeling that every yard they went the danger kept growing constantly less.

Now it was just the opposite, for a brief period, since the worst was yet to come. It required a vast amount of nerve to carry them through this crisis. Thad had his teeth tightly clinched, and his eyes were riveted straight on the road ahead. Nothing must be allowed to distract his attention. It was of vital importance that he keep the track, and reach that bend which would offer them possible safety.

Shells might burst with an appalling roar, and smaller missiles whirr through the air; but so long as none of them were struck he meant to keep everlastingly at his job of taking the car through the hurricane of iron.

The others, however, were allowed a chance to turn their eyes from right to left as they sped on. Consequently they saw some terrible things that were spared the driver. Here a tree was riven of its limbs as clean as though struck by lightning, leaving the bare trunk standing there like a telegraph pole. In another quarter a dreadful half-muffled burst of sound held their attention; and as they looked it was to see the whole section of ground rise in the air, burst into fragments, and then settle back again in a cloud of dust.

Bumpus hardly breathed, he was so thrilled by all these astonishing things that attested to the frightful power of the great shells hurled by the German military monster machines miles and miles away.

It seemed like a full hour to the stout boy before the reeling car finally arrived at that envied turn in the road, and yet instead of minutes seconds had hardly elapsed.

Thad knew there was serious danger of a spill if he attempted to make that swing around the bend at the reckless pace he had struck. This necessitated a holding up; and poor Bumpus, quick to notice the alteration in their speed, quivered with a new fear, really believing that something must have happened to Thad, who was in danger of collapsing at the wheel.

Indeed, Bumpus involuntarily half raised both hands as though with the idea of catching the chauffeur, and sustaining him; for it chanced that he was directly behind the other at the time.

Then the car hit the curve and commenced to swing around it. Bumpus was jammed up against his seat-mate Giraffe, and came near crushing the elongated scout, such was his bulk.

But they had passed safely around the coveted turn, and were once more hurrying along the road, the speed increasing with a jolt as Thad again gave full power.

Now if they could manage to hold their good fortune for just another half minute they stood a chance of running out of the fire zone, where those dropping shells were plowing up the ground, and leaving gaping craters here, there and everywhere, into each of which a good-sized cabin could be hidden.

All of them began to live again, for during the worst of the bombardment, doubtless, they had simply existed, as Giraffe afterwards candidly admitted, when speaking about the adventure.

It was soon only a horrible nightmare, a memory that would haunt them as long as they lived. The shells still continued to fall, and the terrific crashes kept making a strange martial music that rendered talking next to impossible; but all this was now going on in their rear.

For some reason the Germans meant to make that particular section of road impassable. Perhaps they gave it much more prominence than it really deserved, for the boys had discovered few signs of any movement of troops or supplies along its whole length.

Things began to brighten once they were beyond that turmoil and confusion. Bumpus even had a little color creep back into his cheeks, though he still continued to quiver at times, and suck in his breath with gasps. If Giraffe could read the signs aright, when he turned to look at his chum several times, the movement of Bumpus’ lips told that he was saying his favorite word, “Gee!” again and again. Well, it spoke volumes for the sense of awe that had filled his whole soul during that period of stress and anxiety.

Now they could begin to take notice once more of what lay ahead. Of course, each boy was ardently hoping they would have no more of that sort of business to go through with.
All of that text needs to be added, along with the full introduction.

At 3:46-4:28 the whole paragraph that was read before this point was repeated.
5:40-:44 is a stumble and a long silence.
6:24-:27 is a repeat
10:18-:23 is a stumble
10:36-17:56 is all silence.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 6 needs some edits.

The volume is too high. It is currently at 95.9 dB, and our target is 89dB. If you could de-amplify by about 6 dB, then you will be close to the target.
There is also a high amount of background noise, that would be solved by a bit of Noise Cleaning.

There is a stumble at 3:46, 5:59, 8:30, 11:34-:36 and 12:05-:07.

The end silence is only 2 seconds long. That needs to be extended to 5 seconds.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Dorotli

Post by Dorotli »

Hi, Chapter 10 is ready for PL. Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/boyscoutsafootinfrance_10_carter_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Libby (Dorotli)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Dorotli wrote: December 14th, 2023, 1:58 pm Hi, Chapter 10 is ready for PL. Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/boyscoutsafootinfrance_10_carter_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Libby (Dorotli)

Thanks Libby!

What time duration do you have for your recording? I need it just to make sure that I have the whole file.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 10 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Dorotli

Post by Dorotli »

icequeen wrote: December 14th, 2023, 8:49 pm Chapter 10 is PL OK!
That time was 16:38.

Thank you!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Dorotli wrote: December 20th, 2023, 10:21 pm
icequeen wrote: December 14th, 2023, 8:49 pm Chapter 10 is PL OK!
That time was 16:38.

Thank you!

Perfect! Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
volunteer1005nm

Post by volunteer1005nm »

Hi, can I please have Chapter 23?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

volunteer1005nm wrote: December 21st, 2023, 1:20 am Hi, can I please have Chapter 23?
Hi Navya! Chapter 23 is yours, thank you! You are almost there on your one minute, so very close! Just make sure to get your OK before you start to record. It will make your life much easier if we can do that. What name would you like credited on your catalog page?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

We are full! Off to Readers Found we go!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
volunteer1005nm

icequeen wrote: December 21st, 2023, 6:36 pm
volunteer1005nm wrote: December 21st, 2023, 1:20 am Hi, can I please have Chapter 23?
Hi Navya! Chapter 23 is yours, thank you! You are almost there on your one minute, so very close! Just make sure to get your OK before you start to record. It will make your life much easier if we can do that. What name would you like credited on your catalog page?
Hi! Sorry, I'm still learning to navigate around LibriVox. Could you please clarify what you mean by that last question? I'm unsure of what a catalog page is.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

volunteer1005nm wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 2:41 am
Hi! Sorry, I'm still learning to navigate around LibriVox. Could you please clarify what you mean by that last question? I'm unsure of what a catalog page is.
Of course! Please ask as many questions as you like, because there are a lot of little things to learn. This is your catalog page. https://librivox.org/reader/19144 This is where all of your work is listed. Right now I have your forum name listed, which is fine. Some people like to have their real name, or a pseudonym, or just their first name credited as the person who did all that work. It is up to you how you would like to be know. Let me know whenever you decide, there is no hurry.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
volunteer1005nm

icequeen wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 8:16 pm
volunteer1005nm wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 2:41 am

Of course! Please ask as many questions as you like, because there are a lot of little things to learn. This is your catalog page. https://librivox.org/reader/19144 This is where all of your work is listed. Right now I have your forum name listed, which is fine. Some people like to have their real name, or a pseudonym, or just their first name credited as the person who did all that work. It is up to you how you would like to be know. Let me know whenever you decide, there is no hurry.
Thanks for the clarification! I'd like to be known with my nickname, 'Navya'. Thanks!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Great! You are all set with your catalog page!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!