COMPLETE [Play] King Arthur by Dryden - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

King Arthur, by John Dryden (1631 - 1700)

This project is now complete! Finished audio for this project can be found in our catalog:
https://librivox.org/king-arthur-by-john-dryden/

King Arthur, or The British Worthy, is a play or Semi-Opera with a libretto by John Dryden and music by Henry Purcell. It was first performed at the Queen's Theatre in London in 1691.

In this unusual version of the Arthurian legend Arthur is King of Britain fighting to repel the invading Saxons led by Oswald, King of Kent, and in love with the blind Princess Emmeline, daughter of the Duke of Cornwall. The play has many supernatural elements, Enchanters, Magicians, Spirits, Apparitions and Transformations. The play ends with a Masque for which Purcell wrote some of his finest music including the song "Fairest Isle" in praise of Britain.

(Summary by Alan Mapstone)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/47679/pg47679-images.html#Page_107

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: Drama, English, Arthurian Legend, Dryden, Purcell

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For section 0 say:
"Prologue and Dramatis Personae for King Arthur. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. King Arthur or The British Worthy by John Dryden."
For each act say:
"Act # of King Arthur, by John Dryden. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of King Arthur, by John Dryden."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: kingarthur_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. kingarthur_arthur_1.mp3)
For final files: kingarthur_#_dryden_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. kingarthur_1_dryden_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by alanmapstone on February 14th, 2024, 8:44 am, edited 7 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

This is an unusual version of the Arthurian legend. Here Arthur is King of Britain fighting against the invading Saxons and in love with the blind princess Emmeline.

I will BC, DPL and read the narration.
I will need the good offices of an MC :help:

Roles are gender neutral apart from Arthur, Oswald and Emmeline.

When originally staged each act ended with a musical interlude composed by Henry Purcell. I will decide how to handle these interludes in detail as the project progresses.
Alan
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Alan, I would like to be Emmeline, please.
Christine
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

brownrottger wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 9:06 am Hi Alan, I would like to be Emmeline, please.
Christine
Thanks Christine
I will put you in as soon as we get an MC :wink:
Alan
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

And I'll be glad to join you, there! Magic window coming up soon. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Magic Window is ready for filling!
Reading the stage directions yourself should make it much easier to handle those interludes, once you know how you want them done. :thumbs:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

redrun wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 11:07 am Magic Window is ready for filling!
Reading the stage directions yourself should make it much easier to handle those interludes, once you know how you want them done. :thumbs:
Thanks redrun :thumbs:
I like to read the SD of plays I edit as it gives me better control of the editing process.
Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I be Merlin?

~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

silverquill wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 12:02 pm May I be Merlin?
I had a feeling you might go for Merlin, welcome to the cast :wink:
Alan
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Osmond please.

I've pulled out a couple of copies of the Score (the Macfarren and Taylor editions) and I can't see any music there for Interludes, so I suspect that these were pieces that Purcell had composed for other reasons that were interpolated to cover the scenery changes. Handel did this as well, even including entire concerti between the acts.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 3:16 pm Osmond please.
I've pulled out a couple of copies of the Score (the Macfarren and Taylor editions) and I can't see any music there for Interludes, so I suspect that these were pieces that Purcell had composed for other reasons that were interpolated to cover the scenery changes. Handel did this as well, even including entire concerti between the acts.
You are in for Osmond.

As far as I know the music Purcell wrote was specifically to be performed with this play. It was popular at that time to have music and singing between the acts of a play, sometimes quite substantial amounts. Purcell did this for other works like The Fairy Queen, The Indian Queen and Diocletian.
I have used the term interludes in a general way, it is not used in the script or the score (I have a Novello edition). Whether or not I use music is one of the things I have not yet decided.
Alan
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

If you decide to, I'm afraid I'll need a little paperwork from you. Sorry. :cry:

Folks probably know this already, but to cover the bases:
A musical composition can be PD, but each recorded performance has its own copyright, by the performers. It's pretty hard to find usable recordings that are also provably in the Public Domain. We've had at least one volunteer play and make original recordings.

Our wiki page on music policy does give some places to look for PD music:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules#Music_Rules_for_Special_Projects
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

redrun wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 4:09 pm If you decide to, I'm afraid I'll need a little paperwork from you. Sorry. :cry:
Folks probably know this already, but to cover the bases:
A musical composition can be PD, but each recorded performance has its own copyright, by the performers. It's pretty hard to find usable recordings that are also provably in the Public Domain. We've had at least one volunteer play and make original recordings.
Our wiki page on music policy does give some places to look for PD music:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules#Music_Rules_for_Special_Projects
Thanks, this why I don't usually use music with my plays and why I probably won't in this one (unless I am tempted to do a bit of improvised singing myself :lol: )
Alan
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I follow in the steps of the late ilustrious Graham Chapman and read Arthur (King of the Britons)?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim Conon?

Thank you!

Greg