SOLO Tragedy in Dedham: The Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 8 is PL OK :thumbs:

On the one hand, you do catch yourself thinking from time to time that, surely, he was wrongly convicted.

And on the other, things in this chapter kept cracking me up:

What, exactly, is a Yankee line of mouth? :lol:

Polenta on :fire:

"Who is John Galt?" aurally, the John Gault name sucked me right into Atlas Shrugged.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yeah, the John Galt reference also jarred me.
Section 9 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 9 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks! Section 10 is up. Some eyebrow- raising stuff in this section.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yeah, there seriously is. (No wonder the people in Footnote 8 refused calls)

Section 10 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, section 11 is up. This one was a NIGHTMARE to edit. :twisted: I seriously considered scrapping it and starting over, but in the end I kept it. There is some very interesting stuff in here - not least of which is how they wrangled prospective jurors (veniremen? Are you familiar with that word? I was not, until now) off the streets.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Well, it sure sounded nice and smooth! Wouldn't have guessed that it had been such a brat. Nice job! :)

Section 11 is PL OK :thumbs:

Oh! And, no, I don't believe I've ever heard "venireman/men" before.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, the last half of the chapter is up - section 12. I think I I found it rather absorbing, but it took me so damn long to edit it that I have forgotten most of it by now. :lol:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 12 is PL OK :thumbs:

The three hard-boiled eggs made me chuckle. But it does make my blood rise a bit, thinking of people willing to change to a testimony of "recognition" of a suspect when they weren't certain in the first place. I mean, you're talking about influencing a death sentence, and you're willing to do that? I could never.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Totally agree. But I imagine they believed they were telling the truth.
Section 13 is up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 13 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! Section 14 is up. Seems like both men had pretty solid alibis for the day of the crime, honestly.
Here's a weird thing. In glancing over the next chapter, I see that the text has suddenly changed the names of the McAnarney brothers to McAnamey. I went back and checked, and it has definitely been McAnarney up until now (I am very picky about names). Well, damn. In my narration, they are still going to be McAnarney. At any rate, I see that in later chapters they go back to being the McAnarneys.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Well, that made me curious, so I pulled up the Hathi image view of the source that PG used, and it's McAnarney there, but very obvious that the AI scan could have misread the rn as an m. When the workers at PG clean up the scanned text, they only see one page at a time, so there would have been no cue to the proofer that the "m" was a mis-scan.

Yes, you should read it your way for 15 :) (and I've queued 14 - am painting today, so I probably won't PL until tomorrow. Just peeking in on things while I scarf some lunch down :lol: )
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 14 is PL OK :thumbs:

Yeah, I would say that at this point, assuming Russell is reliable, I am pretty firmly on the side of "Wrongly Convicted"
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks! Section 15 is up.