SOLO Tragedy in Dedham: The Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Wow. Section 3 was like a shoot-em-up film! And it is PL OK :thumbs:

There is a Mr. Parmenter in one of the DRs that Scott has going. He, too, met with an unfortunate end. (But he was completely fictional)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 4 is up. A more reasonable length.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 4 is PL OK :thumbs:

This is as good as watching a TV show!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

It is pretty engaging, I agree! I have always been a little interested in the case, but never delved too deeply - although I did read the trial transcripts long ago and I recall thinking that while I had no idea whether they were guilty or not, it seemed that they were being prosecuted as anarchists, not murderers. This seems like a fairly unbiased account.
Anyhow, section 5 is ready for a listen.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Chapter 5 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks! Section 6 is up. Here is where I've started breaking chapters into more manageable (for me) lengths. I found this section really engrossing - it reminded me of my own grandparents, who immigrated here more or less the same era. My Nonno Babbini, for example, was sent off at age 14 in Italy to work as a sheepherder, and suffered great loneliness and constant hunger , and my Nonno Galeazzi, although he was quite well educated owing to having been brought up in an orphanage in Genoa, had to work with pick and shovel in a mine in Colorado when he first immigrated here.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, wow. That's some rich "recent" family history.

(We're back home now, and I'm pulling my PL files to catch up on) :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ciufi! I dropped this one between the cracks somehow! I must have saved it into an incorrect folder somewhere - just saw it sitting there, neglected, on my PL list that LV has on our catalog pages. I'm so sorry. :oops:

And it was such an interesting chapter. (Quite disgusting, the racket the chefs and employment agencies had going.)

Section 6 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Absolutely not a problem! It was an interesting section though, I agree. This one is, too. Section 7 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yes, it is! This book makes for very lively listening.

Hey, Section 7 is technically PL OK. I'm only putting a "courtesy PL Note" up in case you like such a note, and because your recordings are always so professional-sounding.

There is one phrase that pops out to the ear, possibly a patch-in, that a little tweaking will smooth out: "were arrested by Secret Service agents" at 4:06 - 4:08.5. (I think it popped at me because I came fresh off of detailing the latest Nicholas DR chapter. :lol: )

Two things blend it in more - with that phrase highlighted, choose the "Change Tempo" effect (NOT Change Speed), and put something like 6 in the box for percent change, click OK. Then highlight just "were arrested" and with Amplify effect, put something like -2 in the top box, click OK.

If you don't want to mess with this, just mark the section PL OK :)

- and do you want courtesy notes such as this? They're quite rare on your recordings, and technically unnecessary for LibriVox parameters. I just note them for folks who like to know when a portion does stick out.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I definitely do want them, thanks! That was a patch that gave me a LOT of trouble, because there are some features in the Audacity update that threw me for a loop (well, literally, as this was inadvertently on a loop :D ). On Friday I think I will fiddle with it and may resubmit it.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, man, that loop thing! I hate it! I also wish that name band across the top of the whole track would go away. It's not a big deal on a normal file, but it's highly annoying on a stack of DR roles. :evil:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

well, I don't even know if this is better, or worse, or even different. It seemed maybe a little better to me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/tragedyindedhamsaccovanzetti_07_russell_128kb.mp3

Just listened again, and honestly it seems no better. If you like it better, we'll use this one; otherwise, maybe just call it good.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

:) We'll call it a brat and let it be. In the big picture, it's not a problem at all. 7 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I tried again, but to no avail. So yeah, let's call it good.

Section 8 is up.