SOLO Tragedy in Dedham: The Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Tragedy in Dedham : The Story of the Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell (1910 - 1989) - brrot

Volunteers outside the USA: Francis Russell died in 1989. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
The Sacco and Vanzetti trial was one of the most divisive events of 1920's America. As Russell writes, " If one was middle class and Republican...one thought Sacco and Vanzetti guilty. But if one was a university liberal, one tended to think the trial unfair..." In this book, historical author Francis Russell brings the participants and events of this tragic drama to life. The book received the Edgar Award for Best Fact Crime in 1963. (Summary by Ciufi Galeazzi)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/70970

Target completion date: 2024-02-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: V82PHYDQ
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Russell_(author) (Francis Russell)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): NA
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 26
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1962
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/True Crime; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C)

Keywords that describe the book: Crime, anarchism, American history

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Tragedy in Dedham: The Story of the Sacco-Vanzetti Case. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Tragedy in Dunham : The Story of the Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Tragedy in Dedham : The Story of the Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Tragedy in Dedham : The Story of the Sacco-Vanzetti Case, by Francis Russell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: tragedyindedhamsaccovanzetti_##_russell_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. tragedyindedhamsaccovanzetti_01_russell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Ciufi on September 12th, 2023, 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Lynette Caulkins has graciously agreed to be DPL for this project. :clap:
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Ciufi, I will MC this for you. I can provide the MC today! So looking forward to working on this together. And you also have a DPL, Sweeet!
Christine
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks so much! Looking forward to it!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

The MW is there; ready for you to fill in. I'm having a slight argument with the software as to the designation which should be in the last column:fully subscribed. I believe the problem will go away once you have filled in the MW. Meanwhile I will query my fellow Admin as to why the heck this happened.
Thanks,
Christine
BTW I shortened the file name for the project.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi again Ciufi, Just noticed, you need to correct the title name by editing the first post. It should be Dedham not Dunham.
Christine
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I caught that just now! :oops: I seem to always make some odd error like that in the launchpad page. Anyhow, I went though and fixed it.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Ciufi wrote: September 12th, 2023, 2:07 pm I caught that just now! :oops: I seem to always make some odd error like that in the launchpad page. Anyhow, I went though and fixed it.
This is me to a tee!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

This will be good! :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Here we go. I could not resist getting started. MW seems all sorted ( I entered in myself as reader - hope that's okay). Section 1 is up! I may end up adding a few more sections. The pages are somehow a bit longer to read than the usual, and much over a half hour and I get all croaky.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Ciufi wrote: September 13th, 2023, 5:05 pm Here we go. I could not resist getting started. MW seems all sorted ( I entered in myself as reader - hope that's okay). Section 1 is up! I may end up adding a few more sections. The pages are somehow a bit longer to read than the usual, and much over a half hour and I get all croaky.
Sounds like a plan.
Christine
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

"Like my Aunt Amy" cracked me up
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Whew. This one is going to take a while, I think. But it's really absorbing, and with all the Victorian and Edwardian stuff I've been doing, it's great to be reading some mid-century modern! :D
Oh, and I almost forget to mention: section 2 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Wow, yes, fascinating.

(Yeah, that last word did actually sound like Spock in my head) :lol:

It was long, but you did a marvelous job with it. Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, section 3 is up. For those who love detail (that would not necessarily be me), this chapter is perfection. BTW, I have gone through the upcoming chapters and split them up a bit more, so they shouldn't come out this long. My non-edited version came in at about 1:15.

And of course, there is no rush in PLing. I know you have more important things on your plate at the moment.