[Intellectual Biography] Pascal and the Port Royalists, by William Clark - jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Pascal and the Port Royalists, by William Clark (1829 - 1912)
Pascal is of the small number of those [men] in whom the man infinitely transcends his actions. The writings of Pascal are the finest that France possesses; yet they contain nothing of equal value with the Life of Pascal written by his sister in a few pages. It is of such writings and of such a life that we have to speak in this volume; and it is of unspeakable advantage to the student that he should possess a source of information respecting the early days of Pascal of such unquestionable authority. Nearly all that we know of Pascal is derived from this Life and from his own writings, and especially from the Provincial Letters and the Thoughts. These works have been commented upon, controverted, and defended; and there is little to be said on either side which has not been said already. In the present volume Pascal chiefly speaks for himself, and the comments upon his statements are generally brief. (Summary by Adapted from Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/pascalportroyali00clarrich

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: early modern philosophy, port royal, jansenism, port-royal des champs, blaise pascal, philosophical biography, intellectual biography

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Pascal and the Port Royalists. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Pascal and the Port Royalists, by William Clark. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Pascal and the Port Royalists, by William Clark."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: pascalportroyalists_##_clark_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. pascalportroyalists_01_clark_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on December 31st, 2023, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

New project generator working well with a new author.

I will DPL.

Sections:
  1. Preface
  2. Early Days (3000 words)
  3. Scientific Work Part 1 (2700 words)
  4. Scientific Work Part 2 (2100 words)
  5. Spiritual Life Part 1 (2400 words)
  6. Spiritual Life Part 2 (2100 words)
  7. Spiritual Life Part 3 (2700 words)
  8. Port Royal (4500 words)
  9. The Provincial Letters Part 1 (2700 words)
  10. The Provincial Letters Part 2 (4200 words)
  11. The Provincial Letters Part 3 (3900 words)
  12. The Provincial Letters Part 4 (4200 words)
  13. The Provincial Letters Part 5 (3300 words)
  14. Later Years Part 1 (2400 words)
  15. Later Years Part 2 (2400 words)
  16. The Thoughts Part 1 (3300 words)
  17. The Thoughts Part 2 (2700 words)
  18. The Thoughts Part 3 (3900 words)
  19. The Thoughts Part 4 (3300 words)
  20. The Thoughts Part 5 (4800 words)
  21. The Thoughts Part 6 (1200 words)
  22. Destruction of Port Royal (1800 words)
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

InTheDesert wrote: September 12th, 2023, 6:43 am New project generator working well with a new author.
Good to know. :) Thanks! I can MC this for you. MW coming up.
Jo
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: September 12th, 2023, 8:31 am Good to know. :) Thanks! I can MC this for you. MW coming up.
Thanks Jo! Ready for claims.
GordynRR

Post by GordynRR »

Hi. I would like to try 3&4: Scientific work. If that is not too greedy!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GordynRR wrote: September 13th, 2023, 11:46 pm Hi. I would like to try 3&4: Scientific work. If that is not too greedy!
Assigned!
GordynRR

Post by GordynRR »

I would also like to claim Section 2–Early Days, if that’s all right, as, having read much of the book now, I feel these first few chapters really go together.

Meanwhile, here are some issues on which I would like an opinion, if anyone has one, or if someone wants to set a general policy for the book.
1. Pronunciation of French names
Read them as in French but with an English accent, as is commonly done with Blaise Pascale or René Descartes?
2. Longer French passages
Just read them in French?
3. Footnotes
Keep or omit, at the reader’s discretion?
4. Simple errors such as typos and errors of transcription
Correct them? (I am thinking specifically of a long quotation on p15 where ..., he says... is not properly separated out; it appears as though the author copied this directly from a French source, where this is indeed the style. In this case I would just delete the two words.)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GordynRR wrote: September 18th, 2023, 2:19 am I would also like to claim Section 2–Early Days, if that’s all right, as, having read much of the book now, I feel these first few chapters really go together.

Meanwhile, here are some issues on which I would like an opinion, if anyone has one, or if someone wants to set a general policy for the book.
1. Pronunciation of French names
Read them as in French but with an English accent, as is commonly done with Blaise Pascale or René Descartes?
2. Longer French passages
Just read them in French?
3. Footnotes
Keep or omit, at the reader’s discretion?
4. Simple errors such as typos and errors of transcription
Correct them? (I am thinking specifically of a long quotation on p15 where ..., he says... is not properly separated out; it appears as though the author copied this directly from a French source, where this is indeed the style. In this case I would just delete the two words.)
Assigned. Good questions.

1. Yes!
2. Yes!
3. Optional.
4. In the specific case, the quotation marks are the problem. When you read it, it should be understandable if you read it as written.
GordynRR

Post by GordynRR »

OK! By the way, there are a few important, and very frequently-occurring, terms that I have heard pronounced in more than one way before:
>Port Royal, Port Royalist
Both as if it were an English place?
>Jesuit
S pronounced as Z, as opposed to as J?
>Jansenist
Jansen as in Dutch?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GordynRR wrote: September 18th, 2023, 2:40 am OK! By the way, there are a few important, and very frequently-occurring, terms that I have heard pronounced in more than one way before:
>Port Royal, Port Royalist
Both as if it were an English place?
>Jesuit
S pronounced as Z, as opposed to as J?
>Jansenist
Jansen as in Dutch?
I have heard Port Royal and Jansenism pronounced by English-speaking academics in exactly the way they look. SO that should be ok.

Jesuit - the two options you gave are a US/UK difference and both are fine.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I please have section 8?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Section 1 is PL OK.

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Cbteddy wrote: October 14th, 2023, 4:27 pm May I please have section 8?
Done!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: October 14th, 2023, 5:15 pm Section 1 is PL OK.

M
Marked :)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I'll read section 22 if you would like if you don't mind my feeble attempts at the pronunciation of all the French names.

Thanks,

M