[Travel/History] The Boy Travellers On the Congo - brrot

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

It's in. I will proof that for you probably on Thursday.
Scott
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi, I would like to claim Section 6 please.
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

brownrottger wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 4:01 am Hi, I would like to claim Section 6 please.
Appreciate the help, if you're still interested. Been out of town, apologies for the late response.
Scott
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

LCaulkins wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 3:09 pm Here is Chapter 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/boytravellerscongo_01_knox_128kb.mp3 (38:26)
This has volume 89.6, no DC bias, no clipped audio, background noise 27.8. Front silence is 1 second, back is 5 seconds. No repeats or long gaps. PL OK
Scott
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SCaulkins wrote: October 30th, 2023, 8:04 am
brownrottger wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 4:01 am Hi, I would like to claim Section 6 please.
Appreciate the help, if you're still interested. Been out of town, apologies for the late response.
Of course, no worries ever!
Audiobookaddict

Post by Audiobookaddict »

I would like to "claim" chapter 2.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Audiobookaddict wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:31 am I would like to "claim" chapter 2.
Hello, Audiobookaddict! Welcome to LibriVox :)

Acting as DPL/assistant to our Book Coordinator, I am happy to reserve that section for a week for you, but before you do the recording, can you do the 1-Minute Test and post the file to that board?

It's not actually a test or audition of any kind, but is solely meant to make sure your system is set properly before you do all the work of a real section.

Here is the board, which has instructions posts pinned at the top: Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here

Also, before the system will let us officially assign that chapter to your name, we have to generate your Reader Catalog Page. What name would you like us to use for that? It is what the public sees when they look at audiobooks. (Some folks use their real name, some use their forum board name, some make up a penname.)

Once these things are squared away, Scott can assign the section officially, and you'll have the full two-month claim on that chapter. :)

Glad to have you with us!
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Audiobookaddict

Hello. I will post my one-minute test tonight. I will use the name "JT Strong" for the Reader Catalog Page.

Thanks! :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Audiobookaddict wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:59 pm Hello. I will post my one-minute test tonight. I will use the name "JT Strong" for the Reader Catalog Page.

Thanks! :)
There you go! You're in: JT Strong

Your page will list every project you're a part of, both complete and in progress. It also has a link to lists of every section assigned to your name for either reading or proof listening.

And hey - at 6800+ words, this is quite a long chapter for a debut contribution, so just holler if you need more time or want to switch it to something shorter. :)

(Scott's working late tonight and tomorrow, and just asked me to work this up for you so you don't wait on him)
Audiobookaddict

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/test_audiobookaddict.mp3
Thank you. Here is a link to my one-minute test.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Audiobookaddict wrote: November 14th, 2023, 5:30 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/test_audiobookaddict.mp3
Thank you. Here is a link to my one-minute test.
Hehe You didn't have to post it here, too, but I quick-checked it - you're absolutely fine with technical specs. Voice quality sounds super nice, no plosives. The only thing I'd offer for helpful suggestion is regarding the strength of the sibilants (S, SH, CH, etc.) - to keep the nice richness of your voice without those being overpowering, keep the mic at the same distance from your mouth, but have it on a diagonal instead of head-on center - more toward the corner of your mouth, pointing to the center. That usually refines the sibilants for folks.

(and I only know about this because somebody shared it with me a couple years ago when I was frustrated with that issue on my own recordings) 8-)
Audiobookaddict

Awesome! Thank you for the tip about the mic! I will try it. :)
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I please have section 3?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Cbteddy wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 10:18 pm May I please have section 3?
Hi, Claire, we are on vacation right now, but Scott says, "Yes, appreciate the help. Go ahead." He'll put you on the MW officially when we have a computer again.